About This Listing
See the "The Space" section below
PLEASE READ THIS SECTION FULLY BEFORE RESERVING :)
Welcome to The Good Karma House, Hilo's best value in accommodation and location. We’re beyond happy to host you during your Big Island vacation.
The Good Karma House is comprised of 3 vacation rental rooms surrounding 2 large common areas enjoyed by all, or quite often, just privately. As you can see from the pictures, the courtyard is ready for some screened in relaxation, and the kitchen is fully tiled with bamboo walls and ceilings, natural granite counter tops, a full sized fridge/freezer, propane stove top, and all the organic tea and coffee you can enjoy for breakfast. Sometimes, we're even able to provide bananas grown organically right here on the property.
The bathroom is fully tiled as well, and boasts an over sized shower to enjoy after a long day of Hawaiian adventures. Linens and fresh towels are provided for you.
There are a few guidelines here that are built on serving as good advice and helping you create an ideal Hawaiian vacation: (Theyre really only for about 5% of you, but still need to be posted haha)
1. Keep all food inside the refridgerator or freezer or your closed container.
2. Any spills should be cleaned up immediately.
3. Do not place any food into the garbage. It can be rinsed down the sink, stored, or thrown into the compost pile. Rules 1 - 3 are to prevent insects from entering the building. The only time insects are inside the building is if 1 - 3 arent followed :)
4. Please do not leave your personal items outside of your room unless theyre in use.
5. Please clean up the kitchen fully back to how you found it after every time you use it. Keep in mind, another guest may use it right after you and will blame the host if its not in a clean condition :)
6. Please email me and give me an expected time of your arrival. We do not have a front desk for check in and I am quite often not home, so please, let me know about when youll be arriving, then text my cell when youre on the way, and then when you arrive and I'll meet you at the front parking lot. Please do not walk down the side of the house looking for me :) Please don't plan to show up earlier than 3pm, as this is required to properly accomodate the guests before you.
7. Look at the pictures of the rooms before you reserve them. Please don't come with unrealistic expectations because you did not :)
8. If you need anything, please dont hesitate to ask me for it! :) i LOVE helping people make their Hawaiian vacations as fun as they can possibly be, and love meeting people from all over the world.
See you soon,
Free unlimited high speed internet access
Communal areas 24/7
Interaction with Guests
Constantly because that's definitely one of the perks of the "job". :)
Its only 3/4ths of a mile from downtown, yet the closest residence is over 200 yards away.
The main bus terminal in Hilo is just a 20 minute walk away.
Other Things to Note
We do adventure tours too! See bottom of "The
The Good Karma House is a non smoking facility, but we do have an area for that at the front of the property. Moderate alcohol use is no problem. Please clean up your own use and be considerate of others' needs as well. Our dietary style leans heavily on a vegetarian lifestyle, but we are most welcoming of all tastes and cultures. Quiet time is from 10pm to 7am. Mahalo!!!
This is the dining area. Lit by candles and soft lights, tucked into the courtyard, and poised high above the jungle, you'll enjoy a most exquisite dining and social experience here.
We had planned to stay five nights in Hilo. During our stay it was going to rain for five solid days so we ended up leaving Hilo two days early which was not Joe's fault. When we arrived Joe gave us the rundown about what the rules are and what he expects. As for our accommodations the light in the bathroom was broken so we had to shower with the flashlight as our source of light. The refrigerator had old seafood inside which was stinking up a storm so we had to get that taken care of and there were a ton of ants inside the fridge which we ended up having to clean. As for our room it was nice and tidy when we arrived however we were not expecting to have no closable windows. If you were not used to hearing bugs and all sorts of wildlife coming from the jungle and behind the place this is definitely not the place for you. There are cockroaches that find their way into The kitchen area but that comes from living in nature. Overall we were just hoping for some more cleanliness for the future. Joe is a very nice host and thanks.
It was lovely staying in Joe's accomodation next to a jungle! :)
I had an awesome stay at good karma house! Joe is an wonderful person & definitely is surrounded by Good Karma! He is very kind & chill and it was a pleasure to meet him and become friends! The space has a very peaceful & zen vibe like a spiritual retreat! Lively, lovely nature sounds throughout the nite!
If you are looking simply for a cheap place to sleep and shower, then Joe's spot is great. If you are looking for something more, you may not be happy here. The moonset room consists of 2 walls, 2 screened in walls, a bed with mosquito net and a desk with chair.
I did not meet Joe in person but he responded relatively quickly when I contacted him.
Joe was nice and showed us around the place. It was accurately described for the most part. The kitchen and bathroom are very accessible. It was easy to come and go. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.
Joe was easy to work with, the room was just fine, and it was great to have an inexpensive place to stay in Hilo. I was only there for one night, and only to sleep, but I would recommend it.
This host has 105 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Joe
I used to manage the Aloha Guest House on the west side and came on board here in June 2014 to live in Hilo forever. Focused on maintaining the highest standards while playing as hard as we work to make your hard earned vacation the amazingly unforgettable experience you deserve. :)
Personally, I'm a rabid fan of all things astrophysics, snorkeling, road biking, and basically treating every day as if it could be my last. I moved here 3 years ago to basically retire in simplicity and have never looked back. I love sharing Hawaii's effect on people and seeing light bulbs go off. :)
So welcome to the Good Karma House, and it's really great to meet you and learn about your culture and corner of this crazy blue, white, and green marble we're all spinnin on, in the middle of nowhere, for this crazy adventure :)