About this listing
Tucked behind our house in the Zilker neighborhood in South Austin, this sunny one-bedroom, one-bathroom cottage accommodates one or two people perfectly. We've got two great bikes you're welcome to borrow any time. Austin license: 2013 OL 122394.
The space gets wonderful light from its many windows. Stare out into the big trees by day and at night lay in bed and watch the moon go by.
The bed is a queen with great sheets and pillows. We also just finished a complete renovation of the bathroom and shower to add a 40-gallon tank for plenty of hot water.
We're just up the hill from Zilker Park (home of Barton Springs, Austin City Limits, and the beautiful Greenbelt).
Just three blocks east is the heart of South Lamar with tremendous restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and breakfast tacos - not to mention Austin's best snow-cones and the city's one and only honky-tonk dance hall. (See a current list below.)
We've gone to the trouble of being fully licensed as a short-term rental with the city of Austin (License: OL (phone number hidden)) (Looks like AirBnB is suppressing the number because it thinks it's a phone number. If you're a city official, please contact me if you want to verify the license number.) Having a license means you won't be in any danger of having your stay cancelled or interrupted because of a citation. But it also means we have to pay a hefty 15% tax to the city and state. We're keeping the rental rate for the cottage low, but do know that it does include that tax, which other property owners may be choosing not to pay.
Also note that I will only accept reservations now from Airbnb members with at least two positive reviews/references. Thanks.
Happy to answer any other questions you might have.
"Is there a TV?"
"Do you charge for use of the bikes?"
No, you're welcome to borrow them. Just be sure to borrow the locks as well and lock them up securely and legally.
"How far is it from Austin City Limits?"
According to (website hidden) Maps, we're 1.7 miles from Zilker Park. An easy walk down the hill or you can borrow the two bikes.
"Does it have a kitchen?"
It has a microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker, plates, and silverware but no oven/stove.
"Could we have a third person?"
There's a camping cot if you absolutely need to accommodate a third person, but it's really set up for 2 people.
- Big work space with comfortable chair, lamp, and office supplies.
- Parking right on the street.
- Bikes and locks to borrow.
- Secure wifi.
- Free washer/dryer on site with easy access.
- Brand new AC/heater (with remote control).
- Ceiling fan (with remote control).
- Mini fridge.
- Complimentary beer and wine.
- Coffee maker and complimentary coffee.
- Hair dryer.
- Iron and ironing board upon request.
Interaction with guests
I'm always available if you need me and I'm happy to offer advice about what to see and do in Austin, but I generally assume you want your privacy.
Places to check out on South Lamar..
- ABGB (Austin Beer Garden Brewery)
- Amy's Ice Cream
- Austin's Pizza
- Barlata (tapas bar)
- Barley Swine (restaurant and bar)
- Black Sheep Lodge (sports bar and good bar food)
- Broken Spoke (honky-tonk dance hall)
- El Meson (restaurant)
- Gourdough's (restaurant, pub - gourmet doughnuts)
- Half-Price Books
- Henri's Cheese and Wine
- Horseshoe Lounge
- Irie Bean Coffee Shop
- Kerbey Lane Cafe
- Lick Ice Creams
- Maria's Taco XPress
- Matt's Famous El Rancho (restaurant)
- Mercury Pizza
- Midnight Bakery
- Mockingbird (gifts and furnishings)
- Mr. Natural (health food and restaurant)
- Odd Duck (casual fine dining)
- Olivia's (fine dining)
- Papalote Taco House
- Phil's Ice House
- Red's Porch (restaurant and bar)
- Sazon (restaurant)
- South Austin Sno (snow-cones)
- South Lamar Wine and Spirits
- Thundercloud Subs
We've got two bikes you can borrow.
Or grab a bus: It's a five-minute walk to the Austin Metro bus stop (phone number hidden) fast access to UT, downtown, and South Congress.
You can park on the street in front of the house. There's no restrictions and no required sticker. Come and go as you like by a dedicated entrance. You'll have total seclusion and privacy.
Other things to note
Just to be extra clear: There's no breakfast included. I try to stock the little kitchen area with free coffee and tea.
All the usual stuff...
- Take good care of the place.
- No smoking in the cottage.
- No cooking except with the microwave.
- No loud music or noise after 10:30pm. We're in a neighborhood with family neighbors.
- No parties or gatherings of more than 4 people.
I live in Austin with my amazing son, Sam. Never happier than when I'm hanging out with him, seeing friends, or making and seeing theater. Coming up on 20 years in Austin. I love it here and love introducing new people to its charms.