About this listing
A vast L-shaped loft with a bed corner, living room, kitchen and bathroom. Direct access to a spacious roof terrace.
Nice location in the heart of Old Patan between Durbar Square and Patan Dhoka;
This top floor loft is located in a restored old Newari House in the historical center of Patan.
The location is amazing: the house is quietly nested in a courtyard nearby Naga Bahal, the Golden Temple and the magical Patan Durbar Square.
You can't find more authentic and traditional neighbourhood !
• You have your small own kitchen/ living room
• Direct access to the beautiful roof terrace that has comfortable sitting space
• Electricity backup for all-day power supply
• Hot water 24h and pressure pump
• Free WIFI
• Free set of towels and linens changed every week
• Cleaning 2 times/ week
• Possibility to book for Nepali/ Newari lunch or dinner cooked by Premila
Interaction with Guests
Prakash and Premila welcome you with all their heart, their generosity and their sense of hospitality.
They will be happy to help you out with good advices and share their Newari culture with you.
Luckily, Premila is also the best cook in town. You can book a Nepali Daal Bhat for lunch or dinner or even organise a Newari feast on the roof terrace!
The Old Patan is a fantastic area to stay in! It is much more authentic and traditional than the tourist-spoiled places of Kathmandu/Thamel and its concrete jungle. There are many hidden treasures to discover: hindu temples, Buddhist stupas, courtyard, secret paths, monasteries, local food spots...
The vibrant local life of the Newars (the original ethnic group of the Kathmandu Valley) guarantees you a very rich cultural experience.
Resumé of the location:
• Located inside Dhakhwa house, a beautiful conservation project of an old Newari House.
• Situated in the heart of Patan historical city center (nearby Nagbahal, the Golden Temple and Durbar Square)
• Quietly nested inside a courtyard (no noise from the road)
• 300m away from Patan Doka (Patan’s gate)
• 15 min walk away from U.N. House, Sanepa area, Kupondole area
• 15 min ride to Thamel
• 20 min ride to the International Airport
* Perfect "base-camp" to discover the valley.
Taxi can be found in Durbar Square and Patan Dhoka at all time of the day and night.
There are two big public bus stations around (10 min walk away from us): Lagankel and Patan Doka.
From there you can go down to Kathmandu Ratna Park and to many places and villages around.
As a general fact, we discourage our guests to be systematically brought back by taxi or car until our front door (beside the first day of course!). The old Patan is a very fragile area and cannot handle too much traffic and pollution.
Ask the taxi to drop you in Mangal Bazar or in Patan Doka and have a walk in all those beautiful small alleys and courtyards to reach our house, it is much healthier and enjoyable for all ;-)
Other Things to Note
Gas, water and electricity are very precious ressources here in Nepal, please use them very conscientiously. Small problems related to those ressources can always happen, we are reactive to fix things once informed but you need to be aware that Nepal is a country where you have to be adaptable ;-)
Update for November 2015 onwards: Please note that because of the absolute shortage of gas in Nepal, it is totally impossible to be provided with gas heater in your accommodation until the blockage ends.
The situation is quite dramatic and gas needs to be kept for cooking purpose (which we are already lucky to have as most people now cook with fire wood). Thanks for your understanding, we hope the situation will be solved soon! Meanwhile, you will find a hot water bottle in each room.
The house is very lively: there is nothing expected beside your good humor and a minimum sense of respect for your hosts and the other tenants.