Our secluded free-standing studio apartment is the perfect hotel alternative. Walking distance to the CBD and viaduct harbour and 50m to vibrant Ponsonby Road. Light, airy feel, modern kitchenette. A quiet oasis in our buzzy, heritage neighbourhood.
The studio is light, airy and comfortable. There is room to spread out, rest and relax. It's a quiet haven set in a beautiful courtyard. Perfect to come home to after a day exploring the city.
On a character street within 50m of Ponsonby Road, there are fabulous places to eat, funky bars and excellent boutique shopping within a stone's throw. Link bus to downtown one minute's walk away.
Off peak price $140 NZD per night. High season (December to March) price $150 NZD per night. Special 7 nights or more rate $840 all year.
- Queen size bed;
- 100% cotton bedding;
- Feather duvet, pillows and underlay (non-feather available on request in advance);
- Well-appointed tiled bathroom with shower, basin, toilet, heated towel rail;
- 100% cotton towels;
- NZ-made Eco Store bathroom products;
- Front loading washing machine in bathroom;
- Hair dryer;
- Kitchenette includes microwave, 2 hotplates, fridge, plenty of cooking and dining equipment;
- Eco Store cleaning products in the kitchen;
- Complimentary tea, coffee, milk on arrival;
- Free unlimited wifi;
- Wall-mounted TV, with Sky decoder (cable), blu-ray player;
- Tivoli radio with ipod dock (bring your ipod or use the one supplied with thousands of tracks to scroll through);
- Flued gas heating, keeping the space cosy in winter;
- Bi-fold doors opening to two private outdoor spaces, screened from the main house;
- Sheer curtains for privacy, with black out drapes on a separate curtain track for dimming the room and thermal insulation;
- Polished concrete and tiled floors with rugs;
- Separate entrance (the studio is detached from the main house);
- Brilliant walking access to Ponsonby Road, home of great cafes, restaurants, bars, independent retailers, delis and food suppliers;
- 'Three Lamps on Ponsonby' is an inner city village, where you can find everything you need for daily living;
- Easy walk to large supermarket;
- Easy walk to CBD (approx 2km), very handy bus links;
- Easy walk to ferry terminal to visit Waiheke Island, Rangitoto and other gulf islands;
- Lovely recreational walks - parks, heritage houses, Auckland Harbour waterfront and marina, public swimming pool complex;
- Close to secluded inner city beaches.
Interaction with Guests
Guests can enjoy independent access to the studio. Helen is a text message or knock on the door away if you need any help.
The Ponsonby area is an inner city village. We find we have everything we need for day to day living, practically on our doorstep. Delis, wine shops, cafés and restaurants, beautiful clothing retailers, hair and beauty salons, specialist shops for gifts, books, and home wares as well as basics like pharmacies, a large supermarket, fruit shops.
We can suggest a myriad of places to eat, whether you're into trying the latest, finest NZ cuisine, raw/vegan goodness, hip casual eateries, buzzy upmarket bistros or fresh and healthy takeout joints. There's something for every palate within walking distance and it's all EXCELLENT!
With good public transit and walking options, a car in Ponsonby is not necessary.
Should you have a car to travel further afield, parking is free on the street outside our house. During weekdays some of it is restricted to 2 hours between 8am and 6pm. To date, all our guests with cars have managed this easily. On arrival, if there's no parking immediately available, guests are able to park temporarily in our driveway.
Try the app 'Auckland Airport'. It's good for info and links on how to get from the airport to Auckland city as well as real time updates on flight information (international and domestic). It's free.
Once your booking is complete, you'll automatically be sent information on how to reach us from the airport, including driving instructions and public transit options.
Other Things to Note
Helen is usually able to greet you personally when you check in. However, if this isn't possible we have a lock box at the front gate. Keys can be left and guests use a combination to access it. Lots of details given prior to your arrival.
From street level there is a flight of stairs to our back garden, where the access is level to the studio.
We can accommodate one child/baby with parents, on camp bed or in portable cot (both provided). However the space is furnished with adults in mind and is not 'childproof' - please enquire if you have questions about this.
Our Siamese/Balinese cat, Rothko, skulks around outside the studio. You may see him as he cuts through the rear courtyard on his way home from exploring. But he's shy and won't come in to bother you.
Helen is a wonderful host and we are repeat guests. We love everything about the studio and Helen makes us feel very welcome. The studio is self-contained - private with comfortable, clean, contemporary furnishings. The location is excellent.
Helen made us very welcome and her studio is extremely airy and comfortable.
The accommodation is well appointed and furnished elegantly with everything needed even for a longer term stay such as ours.
It is situated in a lovely part of the city with lots of shops, cafes and restaurants in easy reach and with good access to public transport.
Wonderful flat that represents everything great about airbnb: perfect location, uniquely designed, private yet accessible, warm host, easy check-in... overall just a great experience. I would highly recommend anyone staying in Auckland to book Helen's flat in Ponsonby!
Lovely studio in a really nice neighborhood! We really felt at home with everything we needed! Helen was very nice and extremlely helpful!
Our stay at Helen's was a really nice start to our New Zealand holiday. After our seemingly never ending flights it was great to be able to get checked in early and get settled. The studio is well appointed and quiet, and the location is perfect for exploring the city. Our only regret is that it's not available for our return visit to Auckland at the end of our trip!
Helen met us as we arrived, welcoming us for our second visit. Her studio is clean, cherry and comfortable. It is close to urban amenities but remote from the noise. Each item in the unit is well conceived from the HiFi sound system to the coffee maker. Our stay was long so the clothes washer was useful. We appreciated the change of lenin on the fourth day. Her advice on restaurants and sites was helpful, written in her own hand. She provided a typed 'rules of engagement' which oriented us to the unit. She was there again when we departed at 6:45 am on a rainy morning.
We had a wonderful stay! The studio is beautifully furnished and well appointed, and also offers a degree of privacy. The location is amazing, so many cafes, shops, restaurants & markets within a short walk. It felt like we had our own little home in Ponsonby!
I share my home with my husband, Simon, our eight year old son and thirteen year old daughter. Full time mum. Occasional writer. Instagramming home and local life as @helensearancke. Love my city and look forward to sharing it with others through Airbnb. (Photo credit shout out to Simon for most of the pics here.)