About this listing
Our secluded free-standing studio apartment is the perfect hotel alternative. Walking distance to the CBD and viaduct harbour and 50m to vibrant Ponsonby Road. Light, airy feel, modern kitchenette. A quiet oasis in our buzzy, heritage neighbourhood.
The studio is light, airy and comfortable. There is room to spread out, rest and relax. It's a quiet haven set in a beautiful courtyard. Perfect to come home to after a day exploring the city.
On a character street within 50m of Ponsonby Road, there are fabulous places to eat, funky bars and excellent boutique shopping within a stone's throw. Link bus to downtown one minute's walk away.
Off peak price $140 NZD per night. High season (December to March) price $150 NZD per night. Special 7 nights or more rate $840 all year.
- Queen size bed;
- 100% cotton bedding;
- Feather duvet, pillows and underlay (non-feather available on request in advance);
- Well-appointed tiled bathroom with shower, basin, toilet, heated towel rail;
- 100% cotton towels;
- NZ-made Eco Store bathroom products;
- Front loading washing machine in bathroom;
- Hair dryer;
- Kitchenette includes microwave, 2 hotplates, fridge, plenty of cooking and dining equipment;
- Eco Store cleaning products in the kitchen;
- Complimentary tea, coffee, milk on arrival;
- Free unlimited wifi;
- Wall-mounted TV, with Sky decoder (cable), blu-ray player;
- Tivoli radio with ipod dock (bring your ipod or use the one supplied with thousands of tracks to scroll through);
- Flued gas heating, keeping the space cosy in winter;
- Bi-fold doors opening to two private outdoor spaces, screened from the main house;
- Sheer curtains for privacy, with black out drapes on a separate curtain track for dimming the room and thermal insulation;
- Polished concrete and tiled floors with rugs;
- Separate entrance (the studio is detached from the main house);
- Brilliant walking access to Ponsonby Road, home of great cafes, restaurants, bars, independent retailers, delis and food suppliers;
- 'Three Lamps on Ponsonby' is an inner city village, where you can find everything you need for daily living;
- Easy walk to large supermarket;
- Easy walk to CBD (approx 2km), very handy bus links;
- Easy walk to ferry terminal to visit Waiheke Island, Rangitoto and other gulf islands;
- Lovely recreational walks - parks, heritage houses, Auckland Harbour waterfront and marina, public swimming pool complex;
- Close to secluded inner city beaches.
Interaction with Guests
Guests can enjoy independent access to the studio. Helen is a text message or knock on the door away if you need any help.
The Ponsonby area is an inner city village. We find we have everything we need for day to day living, practically on our doorstep. Delis, wine shops, cafés and restaurants, beautiful clothing retailers, hair and beauty salons, specialist shops for gifts, books, and home wares as well as basics like pharmacies, a large supermarket, fruit shops.
We can suggest a myriad of places to eat, whether you're into trying the latest, finest NZ cuisine, raw/vegan goodness, hip casual eateries, buzzy upmarket bistros or fresh and healthy takeout joints. There's something for every palate within walking distance and it's all EXCELLENT!
With good public transit and walking options, a car in Ponsonby is not necessary.
Should you have a car to travel further afield, parking is free on the street outside our house. During weekdays some of it is restricted to 2 hours between 8am and 6pm. To date, all our guests with cars have managed this easily. On arrival, if there's no parking immediately available, guests are able to park temporarily in our driveway.
Try the app 'Auckland Airport'. It's good for info and links on how to get from the airport to Auckland city as well as real time updates on flight information (international and domestic). It's free.
Once your booking is complete, you'll automatically be sent information on how to reach us from the airport, including driving instructions and public transit options.
Other Things to Note
Helen is usually able to greet you personally when you check in. However, if this isn't possible we have a lock box at the front gate. Keys can be left and guests use a combination to access it. Lots of details given prior to your arrival.
From street level there is a flight of stairs to our back garden, where the access is level to the studio.
We can accommodate one child/baby with parents, on camp bed or in portable cot (both provided). However the space is furnished with adults in mind and is not 'childproof' - please enquire if you have questions about this.
Our Siamese/Balinese cat, Rothko, skulks around outside the studio. You may see him as he cuts through the rear courtyard on his way home from exploring. But he's shy and won't come in to bother you.
Helen provided outstanding customer service from the time of booking right through our stay. The studio itself is beautiful and provided a comfortable space for myself, my husband and 7 month old to relax. The thoughtful addition of Eco store products and an outstanding selection of music on the iPod capped it off. I can recommend Helen's hospitality and the Studio 100%!
Helen was simply the best!! She was very friendly and welcoming. The studio was perfect!! Very clean and plenty of room and privacy. The courtyard separating the studio from the main house was a nice space. As a bonus, the view out the front door was of the beautiful Auckland skyline and sky tower. We wish we could have stayed longer!!
Helen met us in person upon arrival and immediately made us feel welcome. She left helpful tips and suggestions for places to eat and explore and was flexible with our later departure time. The studio was spacious enough for two, and provided a warm escape from the chilly winter evenings. We especially appreciated the ability to wash our laundry toward the end of our travels and the view of the Sky Tower from the front door. The Private Modern Ponsonby Studio is a great space at a reasonable price. Both photos and description are accurate, and the location is close to the CBD as well as other great Auckland neighborhoods. We would definitely stay again if we find ourselves in Auckland. Thank you, Helen!
Helen is a wonderful, warm, and friendly host. Her place is an easy walk to the city center and Helen was kind enough to let us drop off our bags when we arrived early in the morning and gave us a detailed map with handwritten recommendations from Helen as well as a suggestion for a great walk to go on. The studio is beautiful and a perfect balance of privacy and easy access to the host should you need anything. We couldn't have chosen a better place to stay!
A lovely apartment in a great spot. Helen could not have been more helpful. Would definitely return
Helen met us on our arrival and showed us everything we needed to know about the appliances etc. in the apartment. She included a map of the area with information on restaurants she recommended and a walking tour from the apartment down to the waterfront.
The apartment is superb and Ponsonby is a great location to stay in Auckland.
The host canceled this reservation 60 days before arrival. This is an automated posting.
About the Host, Helen
I share my home with my husband, Simon, our eight year old son and thirteen year old daughter. Full time mum. Occasional writer. Instagramming home and local life as @helensearancke. Love my city and look forward to sharing it with others through Airbnb. (Photo credit shout out to Simon for most of the pics here.)