About This Listing
This room is newly renovated with varnished pine floors and a private bath with a shower. Access is a short walk down the hill to the lower level of the house. It has it's own entrance and a large window facing the water and sunsets. There is a covered outdoor sitting area.
The neighborhood very quiet and is one of the oldest in Newport. It is just a short walk to downtown.
Guests have access to the yard and the water.
Interaction with Guests
I do my best to meet guests but it's not always possible. I show them where everything is and answer any questions and am available by phone. Other than that I respect my guests privacy and try to stay out of the way.
The neighborhood is residential and quiet but an easy walk to downtown.
There are busses but it's easy to walk or you can rent a bike.
Other Things to Note
Belle's Cafe is just a few blocks away for coffee and breakfast or lunch at a picnic table on the water,
This airbnb provided us with an experience of contrasts and contradictions. The location is fabulous, magical and unique with amazing waterfront views and easy access to the many delights of Newport. We were really happy to have the experience of staying in such a beautiful place. However, of all the airbnb's we have stayed in so far, this was the only one where we didn't feel particularly welcome. Perhaps because he was preoccupied with work, perhaps it was because it was the end of the season or perhaps through shyness but Ned did nothing more than provide us with the space. It did not help that, having clearly agreed our arrival time via the website, there was no one at the property to greet us when we arrived and no way of accessing the accommodation. To be fair, the battery in my U.S. cell phone died just as I was trying to sort this out so we didn't receive a message that Ned left in response to my attempt to track him down. When Ned finally appeared, he spent as little time as possible getting us settled in and volunteered very little information. This set the tone for our visit. The accommodation itself was generally pleasant, although quite basic and generally clean with some notable exceptions; a dirty refrigerator and a filthy coffee maker. As one reviewer previously noted, the bed was reasonably comfortable but very, very squeaky. With two people in the bed it is difficult to turn over without waking the other person up! On the plus side, the listing is accurate and we had made the booking with an acceptance of the limitations, such as a lack of Internet access, knowing that the beauty of the location is the unique selling point of this airbnb. If we were to score this airbnb out of 10 then we would give it 12/10 for location, 6/10 for accommodation and sadly, 3/10 for welcome and customer service.
"Waterfront Room" was just that; exactly what you see in the cover photo and more - beautiful and relaxing setting. Located at the edge of everything happening in Newport. We parked the car when we arrived and walked everywhere - including the Cliff Walk and several mansions. The room was clean and arranged as expected; there was a coffee pot as indicated but no coffee, cups or silverware. The bed was comfortable but very squeaky. The bathroom was new and very clean, as well. All in all a good stay and recommended.
Ned was their when we arrived and was easily contactable. The room was clean and a good size with a great shower and great view. Good cupboard space too.
It is almost impossible to put into words how wonderful our experience was at Ned's. My friend and I decided to meet up in Newport for Labor Day for a much needed reunion. She hadn't really taken a vacation since her children were born (3 years) and I was stuck in the over-stressed NYC grind. We debated hotels and B&B's on the island but kept stumbling upon reviews warning of noise and crowding. We were both in this trip for the relaxation so that didn't work a bit. My friend then stumbled upon Ned's place and it was the perfect fit. Our favorite things about our stay:
- Completely quiet. Plus the fresh breeze off the water. Seriously, we slept like the dead.
- It was off the beaten path but an easy walk from town and other sites. Restaurants and bars were only about 10 minutes away. I brought my bike and was able to ride all around town, over to Goat Island, and to our favorite local beach- Gooseberry Beach.
- Amazing views. The pictures do not do the views justice. You just have to see them for yourself. Plus, there were two sets of adirondack chairs by the water and under the shade trees- perfect for a morning cup of coffee or evening glass of wine.
- Awesome shower and newly renovated, clean bathroom.
- Huge closet to store things. Ned provides hangers, extra towels, linens, a coffee pot, iron and some other basic items. There is also a small fridge/freezer perfect for a bottle of wine and a pint of ice cream :)
- And finally, the best part, NED! Ned is a wonderful host in every sense of the word. He is just so incredibly kind. He responds quickly to texts if you have any questions and made us feel completely at home and comfortable. I had car trouble on Labor Day which would have totally undone all of the destressing the weekend provided had Ned not been there to help. Sidenote: If you ever have car trouble in Newport, visit Kent's Automotive on Halsey. Great guys. Thanks for your help and hospitality, Ned! You're the best!
We will definitly be back and I can not wait to spend more time in my new favorite place.
Ned's home by the water is absolutely beautiful! You have your own private water-front view, where I sat for hours just relaxing, and watching the boats go by. If you are looking for a place to unwind and relax, this is the spot for you! The room is simple, and has its own private entrance. Plus, it is a 15- minute walk to the area with restaurants and shops! I am already planning a visit back! It is by far one of the best airbnb homes I have been to!
Really cute rustic room with hand hued beams, lots of windows that let in light and fresh air, nice furnishings. Room has attached private bath, and walk in closet. Best of all there room has private seating and a truly Million Dollar view of the water. Huge lovely lawn that stretches to the waters edge is right out your door.
Fantastic stay with Ned! What a treat!
Ned was extremely kind and accommodating to our every need. I've been doing Airbnb since 2009 and this ranks in the top 2 for several reasons:
1. Room/House - The fact that the room opened up to a huge backyard that leads directly to the waterfront is enough for me! WOW! It was really unexpected and we really had the whole back area to ourselves. The room is exactly as described. Bed was very comfortable, room is spacious, shower pressure is great and there's a huge closet for you to keep your belongings. The private entrance at the base of the house is awesome and makes you feel like you have your own place. We slept with the door and window open and were lulled to sleep by the wind and ocean breeze!
2. Location - really perfect. Beautiful 10 minute walk to the downtown area and the water right at your doorstep, literally! You should bike or walk to the beach.
3. Ned - like I said, extremely accommodating and was around if we needed him, but really kept to himself and left us to enjoy our relaxing time together. He really was the perfect host in that regard. Gave us a key and told us to treat the place like we were at home! What a sweetie. Check in was easy - we just called him and he came and let us in right away.
Some quick notes -
-private parking space right at home was great
-bring a hair dryer (for the ladies :) )
-make sure you bring a camera for these great views!
This host has 17 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews