About this listing
This is the opportunity to stay in a secluded mountain cabin on a private 14 acre plot of raw unadultered jungle that the Sarapiqui River passes through. The property is used by the National University of Costa Rica to conduct environmental studies 4 times a year and through AirBNB, we are opening up these amazing facilities to the public for the first time.
Besides access to the cabins and phenomenal nature trails, all three meals each day are prepared by a professional chef for each guest. Giovanni, the property owner also has kayaks, rubber hiking boots, and other essentials to make the most of your time in the Pristine Costa Rican Jungle.
The property has 5 main structures.
1. The largest is an open bottom, 2 story cabin constructed from hand carved wood that is about 10 meters by 20 meters in size. The open air, natural raked earth floor, first story has a full kitchen with two wood ovens, a dining area with hand cut, carved, and cured benches, tables, and stools, a lounge area with hammocks and benches. This area also has a large dry erase board and is ideal for holding conferences, classes, or other meetings.
The top story of the main building has a large central corridor with 6 matching open air rooms. Each room is equipped with 2 bunk beds and stunning views of the surrounding 14 acres of jungle. This building sleeps up to 24.
2. The building next to the main cabin has 4 showers, 4 toilets, and sinks.
3. 10 meters away from the main cabin is the laboratory with microscopes and slide preparation materials.
4. 30 meters away from the main cabin is a smaller cabin that has 4 bedrooms with full sized beds in each. This cabin has a full kitchen, bathroom, and great deck. This cabin sleeps up to 8.
5. 100 meters away from the main cabin is a small cabin with 2 bedroom with a full sized bed in each room. The cabin has a full kitchen, bathroom, and open air, natural raked earth, bottom floor. This cabin sleeps up to 4.
Once you arrive, you are free to use the cabins as you wish as long as you respect the cabin and the surrounding wildlife. We are actively part of a reforestation project and our goal is to share the beautiful jungle while having as minimal of an impact as possible. If there are any questions, please just ask Giovanni on site.
About the Host, Peter And Krista
I grew up living between Chicago during the school year and Costa Rica during the breaks (The benefits of having both parents employed as teachers with summers off). I loved experiencing it as a child, teenager, college student and whatever label I am now. In all honesty, being able to experience the urban and rural through the different perspectives of age, responsibilities, interests, and groups of friends really expanded my knowledge of and interest in Chicago, Costa Rica, and the world in general. I like to think of myself as an aged local historian in training, trying to accumulate as much knowledge as humanly possible through first hand experience and people's stories. I am a huge fan of swapping travel stories over local ale and cherish getting local insider tips about anywhere I'm traveling to. If you stay with us, I will be sure to dish on all the great hidden gems Chicago or Costa Rica have to offer.
I'm a foodie and over the years have tried hundreds of restaurants in Chicago. I love them all. From the $2 tacos in Pilsen to the $200 dinner in the Fulton River District/West Town, I appreciate Chicago's unique culinary style. Feel free to ask for any recommendations, I love an excuse to share my passion for Chicago.