About this listing
A bucolic setting nestled 3 blocks from downtown Willow Glen, 3 mi from downtown San José and 5 mi from SJC. This warm 1927 home welcomes you to your private room/full bathroom with unique antiques and comfy bed. Dining/shopping steps away.
You're steps away from downtown Willow Glen and its wonderful locally owned restaurants, coffee houses and boutiques.
Your room looks onto the front garden, usually abloom with seasonal flowers. For privacy, a door closes off your hallway, en suite full bathroom (with tub/shower) and your bedroom. The recently refinished hardwood floors, new paint and your room's large arched window and two double-hung windows make a bright, welcoming environment for you to relax. Fully furnished with queen bed (with high-quality linens), TV/DVD, and large closet. You can make coffee/tea, at the beverage center right outside your door. You can keep beverages cold in your own mini-fridge, or heat up a snack in your in-room microwave.
Whether you're visiting family, on a work assignment for a Silicon Valley company, having remodeling done, or want a convenient home base for Northern California excursions, you'll have a comfy place to rest.
You'll have plenty of privacy as your suite is part of a 5 bedroom, 3 bath home.
(For families or two couples traveling together, there is a comfy queen sofa bed in the living room with curtains separating it from the rest of the house for privacy. Only those in your party would share your bathroom. I can even accommodate 6 with a queen futon in another guest room/office. Make inquiry for price.)
* High-speed Wifi
* HDTV w/DVD player
* K-cup coffee maker w/brewer, electric tea kettle (with tea, coffee and hot chocolate makings) right outside your door.
* Mini-refrigerator, small microwave in your suite
* Yoga mat, filtered water, bed tray, plates, glasses, wine glasses, corkscrew, cutting board, knife, iron and ironing board in your room
* Unique restaurants and shops in downtown Willow Glen 3 blocks away. Starbucks 5-minute walk or 1-minute drive. Also Peet's and local coffee shops a few blocks away
* Downtown San José 3 miles away
* Adobe, eBay, SAP Center/Shark Tank, San Jose Convention Center, Center for Performing Arts, Tech Museum of Innovation, San Jose Art Museum, San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles, California Theater (opera), San Jose Repertory Theater, San Jose Civic, Montgomery Theater, City Lights Theater, Children's Discovery Museum, movie theaters, IMAX, Santa Clara University, San Jose State University, comedy club, Winchester Mystery House, Kelley Park, Happy Hollow Zoo, Rose Garden less than 3 miles away.
* CalTrain (to San Francisco and SFO) and Light Rail station 1 mile away
* Close to Cinequest, SoFa Jazz Festival, Christmas in the Park and other cultural event venues.
* Bus stops w/in a half block
* BART connection via CalTrain or bus
* Amtrak to Oakland, Sacramento, Pacific Northwest or So. California 3 miles away
* Plenty of street parking
* 4 churches on our street in case you like to attend
* Access to the Los Gatos Creek bike and walking trail less than a mile away. Large park close by.
* Shopping in Willow Glen, Santana Row, Valley Fair, Oakridge, Valco, Milpitas Great Mall within a 10- to 15-minute drive. Gilroy Premium Outlet Mall 20-30 minutes.
* Front and back garden/patio access
* Linens are changed weekly for longer-term guests.
* Washer/dryer use (1 load/week) and kitchen access for weeklong stays or more
* 1 hr. from San Francisco (w/light traffic), 1.25 hours from Monterey, 3.5 to Tahoe, 1.5 to Napa/wine country, 45 minutes to Santa Cruz beaches, 2 hours from Big Sur, 3-4 hours from Yosemite. All are easy day trips and you'd be back in your comfy room to rest from your excursion.
* Hair dryer in bathroom and 5x makeup mirror
* A 5-page guide, including suggestions of Willow Glen dining options
* Binder w/sight-seeing options/articles/brochures, divided by local area
Interaction with Guests
I'll gladly give you information on local sites, restaurants and make suggestions on activities. I'm happy to make your stay as comfortable as I can.
Generally, I will be home during your visit and share the living room and dining room. I have living quarters upstairs. Since you have a microwave and mini-fridge in your room, the kitchen is not available to guests.
My guests commonly comment that they can tell I travel a lot by the extras I have in their room. I've tried to stock it with pretty much everything I can think of that I've wanted when I've traveled and didn't want to have to go out to get. So you'll find emergency supplies, like Q-tips, cotton balls, bandaids, safety pins, etc. in a drawer for you if you have an emergency need. I stay in a lot of 5-star hotels as well as guest houses so try to provide the parts of each that I appreciate. So while there isn't butler service, :-) I work to make your stay comfy and very pleasant.
It's a joy to walk around the neighborhood enjoying the different, well-kept homes, from the one built in 1890 on our block, to the Frank Lloyd Wright disciple's design across the street to modern interpretations of Craftsman.
Willow Glen was recently named by Money Magazine as one of ten best city neighborhoods. To read the article you'll need to do a search for it as AirBnB deletes the URL!
Our neighborhood is full of unique houses and interesting people. There are CEOs, lawyers, artists, tech execs, doctors, retired folks, stay-at-home parents, tech entrepreneurs, a former Lakers cheerleader and even a Sharks player! Newport Ave. is one of the most coveted (some say the most coveted!) streets in Willow Glen.
If you don't have a car, no problem. From SFO, you can take BART then CalTrain to the main San José station, then it's a short cab or Uber ride to my home. You can also access BART by bus out of the main San Jose train station 3 miles away.
Want to go around the Valley? The Light Rail station is a mile away (Tamien Station), or there is a bus stop steps away (look up VTA bus #82 -- Westgate/Downtown -- Newport/Minnesota stop).
Or from SJC, a short cab, Uber or Lyft ride will bring you to my front door.
Other Things to Note
Want some exercise? Rent a bike in downtown Willow Glen and ride the bike paths to downtown San José and even to SJC, or the Los Gatos Creek Trail head is less than a mile away. There's even a bike share program now in San José! Or walk around the interesting neighborhood where every home is unique, or to a nearby park. Pamper yourself at one of several day spas a few blocks away, or get toned at one of several yoga and Pilates studios. Or maybe take a belly dancing class!
While the room has shades and eye shades are provided for those who are light sensitive, the shades are not blackout so the light from the street light does get in. If light bothers you and you won't wear eye shades you should probably find another accommodation until I get blackout shades.
If you'd like to go to the beach (Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, Half Moon Bay) or have a picnic, I can loan you lawn chairs, a beach blanket/mats and a cooler -- even a frisbee!
• Please refrain from loud TV/DVD or phone calls after 10:00 p.m. and before 8:00 a.m.
• Any visitors need prior OK from Rebecca.
• Please no smoking of any kind or recreational legal or illegal drugs while on the property.
• Please don’t enter private areas like the kitchen, although long-term guests have kitchen access.
• There may be other guests in the other private suites, so please be respectful of their privacy.
• No lit candles please.
• Please close and lock any windows you've opened before leaving for the day.
• Courteous, non-foul language and a friendly spirit and welcoming attitude are required while you are a guest.
• Keys must be returned prior to departure. Leave on your bureau.
• Legal Internet use only: Our high-speed ISP expressly forbids illegal downloads.
• There is usually abundant parking on the street so please refrain from parking in the church lot next door or my driveway
• No weapons of any kind on premises.
• Please check out by 11:00am unless extended by Rebecca
• It's unfortunate I have to add this, but just had an incident that made me see I needed to. The supplies are for your use during your stay. Please refrain from stocking up for your own place with the extra TP, paper towels, q-tips, etc. that are provided for my guests' convenience and comfort.
Rebecca was a most gracious and lovely host. She accommodated us on short notice and even then, was incredibly generous in working around our schedule and arrival time. As frequent AirBnB users, we are beyond delighted when we encounter a host who genuinely cares about the customer experience, from the cleanliness of the facilities, to the personal preferences and comfort of her guests. Rebecca has the practical aspects down. Her home is as described -- a comfortable and private stay in a beautiful part of San Jose. On the personal side, Rebecca couldn't have been more considerate as a host. She is respectful of personal space and privacy, something we appreciate when we're on the road working. But that night, we had some time to sit and chat, and Rebecca was one of the most interesting and engaging people we've encountered in our AirBnB travels. We stayed just a night, but feel as though we had a world of experience through meeting Rebecca and learning about her life and endeavors. We would love to stay there again, just to pick up where we left off.
I will always return to this lovely abode because it is most welcoming. Everything I need to enjoy my stay is in place. I have the best bedroom and my privacy. It is three walking blocks to a line of shops and restaurants that can't be beat. I enocurage you to stay here because you will be quite happy.
It was a wonderful stay. Peaceful and clean. There were thoughtful touches throughout (fluffy robe, beverage center, garden area to sip a glass of wine in the evening). But the best part was Rebecca. She is fantastic hostess. I can't wait to come back.
This was a super convenient neighborhood for me doing business in Santa Clara. I especially liked the proximity to cafes and restaurants. The host was a very nice and thoughtful person.
Rebecca has been a fabulous host and very accommodating. We have felt very welcome at her home and she clearly labelled everything in the house. In addition, she provided great info on local sites and food.
I would stay here again as the location is great and there is free parking. It really is in the heart of Willow Glen. Thanks again Rebecca.
Rebecca was very prompt in her communication right throughout the booking process as well as during my stay. The place was exactly as per the description provided. Ideally located , convenient for travel throughout the Bay area. I was very happy with the stay and would recommend the place without any reservation.
Rebecca made our first airbnb experience very special. We were really touched by the warm welcome!
This host has 18 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Rebecca
As an international business consultant, speaker, trainer and bestselling author (25 books, 9 languages) -- I've even been on Oprah! I also work with entrepreneurs to grow their businesses.
I love getting to know places as a traveler not a tourist. So I enjoy staying with locals as well as having travelers stay with me.
I've been to 42 countries, as well as all the US states and many of the Canadian provinces, so you'll see evidence of my journey's around my home. Perhaps we've been to some of the same places -- or if I've been to one you want to visit, I'm happy to share my tips and impressions.
Each year I spend 4-8 weeks abroad working and doing charity work with orphanages and schools. I also founded a non-profit here in North America called Books For Treats which helps communities and individuals give books at Halloween instead of candy. We give brain candy!
My trips abroad have been so full of the kindness from others (I call them my Travel Angels) that Airbnb is one way I can pay it forward. I look forward to helping make your visit to Willow Glen and Silicon Valley easy and fun!