A bucolic setting nestled 3 blocks from downtown Willow Glen, 3 mi from downtown San José and 5 mi from SJC. This warm 1927 home welcomes you to your private room/full bathroom with unique antiques and comfy bed. Dining/shopping steps away.
You're steps away from downtown Willow Glen and its wonderful locally owned restaurants, coffee houses and boutiques.
Your room looks onto the front garden, usually abloom with seasonal flowers. For privacy, a door closes off your hallway, en suite full bathroom (with tub/shower) and your bedroom. The recently refinished hardwood floors, new paint and your room's large arched window and two double-hung windows make a bright, welcoming environment for you to relax. Fully furnished with queen bed (with high-quality linens), TV/DVD, and large closet. You can make coffee/tea, at the beverage center right outside your door. You can keep beverages cold in your own mini-fridge, or heat up a snack in your in-room microwave.
Whether you're visiting family, on a work assignment for a Silicon Valley company, having remodeling done, or want a convenient home base for Northern California excursions, you'll have a comfy place to rest.
You'll have plenty of privacy as your suite is part of a 5 bedroom, 3 bath home.
(For families or two couples traveling together, there is a comfy queen sofa bed in the living room with curtains separating it from the rest of the house for privacy. Only those in your party would share your bathroom. I can even accommodate 6 with a queen futon in another guest room/office. Make inquiry for price.)
* High-speed Wifi
* HDTV w/DVD player
* K-cup coffee maker w/brewer, electric tea kettle (with tea, coffee and hot chocolate makings) right outside your door.
* Mini-refrigerator, small microwave in your suite
* Yoga mat, filtered water, bed tray, plates, glasses, wine glasses, corkscrew, cutting board, knife, iron and ironing board in your room
* Unique restaurants and shops in downtown Willow Glen 3 blocks away. Starbucks 5-minute walk or 1-minute drive. Also Peet's and local coffee shops a few blocks away
* Downtown San José 3 miles away
* Adobe, eBay, SAP Center/Shark Tank, San Jose Convention Center, Center for Performing Arts, Tech Museum of Innovation, San Jose Art Museum, San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles, California Theater (opera), San Jose Repertory Theater, San Jose Civic, Montgomery Theater, City Lights Theater, Children's Discovery Museum, movie theaters, IMAX, Santa Clara University, San Jose State University, comedy club, Winchester Mystery House, Kelley Park, Happy Hollow Zoo, Rose Garden less than 3 miles away.
* CalTrain (to San Francisco and SFO) and Light Rail station 1 mile away
* Close to Cinequest, SoFa Jazz Festival, Christmas in the Park and other cultural event venues.
* Bus stops w/in a half block
* BART connection via CalTrain or bus
* Amtrak to Oakland, Sacramento, Pacific Northwest or So. California 3 miles away
* Plenty of street parking
* 4 churches on our street in case you like to attend
* Access to the Los Gatos Creek bike and walking trail less than a mile away. Large park close by.
* Shopping in Willow Glen, Santana Row, Valley Fair, Oakridge, Valco, Milpitas Great Mall within a 10- to 15-minute drive. Gilroy Premium Outlet Mall 20-30 minutes.
* Front and back garden/patio access
* Linens are changed weekly for longer-term guests.
* Washer/dryer use (1 load/week) and kitchen access for weeklong stays or more
* 1 hr. from San Francisco (w/light traffic), 1.25 hours from Monterey, 3.5 to Tahoe, 1.5 to Napa/wine country, 45 minutes to Santa Cruz beaches, 2 hours from Big Sur, 3-4 hours from Yosemite. All are easy day trips and you'd be back in your comfy room to rest from your excursion.
* Hair dryer in bathroom and 5x makeup mirror
* A 5-page guide, including suggestions of Willow Glen dining options
* Binder w/sight-seeing options/articles/brochures, divided by local area
Interaction with Guests
I'll gladly give you information on local sites, restaurants and make suggestions on activities. I'm happy to make your stay as comfortable as I can.
My guests commonly comment that they can tell I travel a lot by the extras I have in their room. I've tried to stock it with pretty much everything I can think of that I've wanted when I've traveled and didn't want to have to go out to get. So you'll find emergency supplies, like Q-tips, cotton balls, bandaids, safety pins, etc. in a drawer for you if you have an emergency need. I stay in a lot of 5-star hotels as well as guest houses so try to provide the parts of each that I appreciate. So while there isn't butler service, :-) I work to make your stay comfy and very pleasant.
It's a joy to walk around the neighborhood enjoying the different, well-kept homes, from the one built in 1890 on our block, to the Frank Lloyd Wright disciple's design across the street to modern interpretations of Craftsman.
Willow Glen was recently named by Money Magazine as one of ten best city neighborhoods. To read the article you'll need to do a search for it as AirBnB deletes the URL!
Our neighborhood is full of unique houses and interesting people. There are CEOs, lawyers, artists, tech execs, doctors, retired folks, stay-at-home parents, tech entrepreneurs, a former Lakers cheerleader and even a Sharks player! Newport Ave. is one of the most coveted (some say the most coveted!) streets in Willow Glen.
If you don't have a car, no problem. From SFO, you can take BART then CalTrain to the main San José station, then it's a short cab or Uber ride to my home. You can also access BART by bus out of the main San Jose train station 3 miles away.
Want to go around the Valley? The Light Rail station is a mile away (Tamien Station), or there is a bus stop steps away (look up VTA bus #82 -- Westgate/Downtown -- Newport/Minnesota stop).
Or from SJC, a short cab, Uber or Lyft ride will bring you to my front door.
Other Things to Note
Want some exercise? Rent a bike in downtown Willow Glen and ride the bike paths to downtown San José and even to SJC, or the Los Gatos Creek Trail head is less than a mile away. There's even a bike share program now in San José! Or walk around the interesting neighborhood where every home is unique, or to a nearby park. Pamper yourself at one of several day spas a few blocks away, or get toned at one of several yoga and Pilates studios. Or maybe take a belly dancing class!
While the room has shades and eye shades are provided for those who are light sensitive, the shades are not blackout so the light from the street light does get in. If light bothers you and you won't wear eye shades you should probably find another accommodation until I get blackout shades.
If you'd like to go to the beach (Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, Half Moon Bay) or have a picnic, I can loan you lawn chairs, a beach blanket/mats and a cooler -- even a frisbee!
• Please refrain from loud TV/DVD or phone calls after 10:00 p.m. and before 8:00 a.m.
• Any visitors need prior OK from Rebecca.
• Please no smoking of any kind or recreational legal or illegal drugs while on the property.
• Please don’t enter private areas like the kitchen, although long-term guests have kitchen access.
• There may be other guests in the other private suites, so please be respectful of their privacy.
• No lit candles please.
• Courteous, non-foul language and a friendly spirit and welcoming attitude are required while you are a guest.
• Keys must be returned prior to departure. Leave on your bureau.
• Legal Internet use only: Our high-speed ISP expressly forbids illegal downloads.
• There is usually abundant parking on the street so please refrain from parking in the church lot next door or my driveway
• No weapons of any kind on premises.
• It's unfortunate I have to add this, but just had an incident that made me see I needed to. The supplies are for your use during your stay. Please refrain from stocking up for your own place with the extra TP, paper towels, q-tips, etc. that are provided for my guests' convenience and comfort.
As first-time airbnb users, we were pleasantly surprised at how much more comfortable and welcoming it is to stay at Rebecca's lovely home in Willow Glen, rather than the typical hotel experience. Beautiful home and neighborhood, everything as described. We will definitely be coming here again.
I stayed with Rebecca initially for two days. As this was my first Airbnb experience all I can say wow! I was met at the door with a "Welcome Carol" sign and Rebecca gave me the tour of the space and all the amenities. She is a true hostess and is always ready to give suggestions of what to do or where to go. The room and the private bath were clean and comfortable. Everything I could possibly need or want was provided. With the mini-fridge and microwave it was almost like staying in a small studio apartment.
The room was sunny and bright, located at the front of the house. There is some street noise but I wasn't bothered by it. There is a church/pre-school next door and there is a bit of noise from the car doors and kids being dropped off but again, I wasn't bothered. The bathroom is large and the shower has great water pressure. There is also a privacy curtain in the hallway which you can close if you wish to leave the bedroom door open.
Willow Glen is a charming town and the main street is about three blocks away. Walking to and from is easy and safe. The main street is full of shops and restaurants which makes for a break from whatever you may be doing. There is a nice, new grocery store close by and a fantastic nail salon in the same plaza.
All in all for my first solo vacation and first time user of Airbnb, I could not have asked for a better experience. I highly recommend Rebecca's!
After staying with Rebecca for two days I was able to extend my stay for another two. Luckily she had availability and approved my extended stay quickly. Please see my earlier review for my thoughts!
Rebecca made me feel very welcome the night I arrived. I also enjoyed talking with her about her professional interests. The room, bathroom, and general space were spotless, quiet, and comfortable. I really enjoyed staying in the room and appreciated the coffee and snacks that she had on hand. A really nice feature of Rebecca's b&b is that you can close off the hallway door for privacy. Also, the neighborhood in which she lives is fantastic -- an easy walk to a bustling downtown business area.
I had a fantastic stay at Rebecca's. She is very welcoming and took plenty of time to show me around her lovely home. She provides all of the amenities and is attentive to the details. She was also incredibly responsive when I had questions about transportation options from SFO, getting back to me several times within minutes. Her neighborhood is beautiful, with large old homes, trees and gorgeous gardens. And it's within walking distance to a cute shopping area with cafes. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat!
Rebecca met my wife and I when we arrived at her home. She was friendly, welcoming and gracious. The bedroom and bathrooms were spotless. The neighborhood is safe and attractive. It is a very short walk to local Willow Glen restaurants and shops.
Rebecca was very accommodating. She replied quickly to my emails and/or texts. The bedroom was clean as was the private bathroom. The environment was very peaceful. The neighborhood is safe and beautiful. It is an easy walk or drive to the core downtown area. There are a variety of restaurants and shops. I would stay at this place again.
This host has 6 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
As an international business consultant, speaker, trainer and bestselling author (25 books, 9 languages) -- I've even been on Oprah! I also work with entrepreneurs to grow their businesses.
I love getting to know places as a traveler not a tourist. So I enjoy staying with locals as well as having travelers stay with me.
I've been to 42 countries, as well as all the US states and many of the Canadian provinces, so you'll see evidence of my journey's around my home. Perhaps we've been to some of the same places -- or if I've been to one you want to visit, I'm happy to share my tips and impressions.
Each year I spend 4-8 weeks abroad working and doing charity work with orphanages and schools. I also founded a non-profit here in North America called Books For Treats which helps communities and individuals give books at Halloween instead of candy. We give brain candy!
My trips abroad have been so full of the kindness from others (I call them my Travel Angels) that Airbnb is one way I can pay it forward. I look forward to helping make your visit to Willow Glen and Silicon Valley easy and fun!