About This Listing
A budget traveler's dream: comfort, style, subway access, + friendly "SUPER HOSTS" who've got an arsenal of suggestions and years experience all for a very reasonable price! Plus, 2 dogs to call your best friends for the duration of your stay :)
A budget traveler's dream: comfort, style, subway access, and friendly hosts who've got an arsenal of suggestions and 4 years experience, all for a very reasonable price! Plus, 2 dogs to call your best friends for the duration of your stay :)
:) FIRST THINGS FIRST! :)
Airbnb has a COMMUNITY VIBE. We invite strangers into our home and welcome you as family, while giving you the SPACE AND RESPECT you need on your vacation. As such, we have a few requests when inquiring so that you get a QUICK AND POSITIVE acceptance!
1. PROFILE: Have a PHOTO of YOU, along with a BIO to let us know a little bit about you! (Where you're from, what you do, etc.) Please, VERIFY YOUR ID!
2. TRAVEL: Tell us about your TRIP (travel plans TO NYC, duration, etc.) and any special requirements you may have.
3. AGREEMENT: Confirm you have READ THE TERMS of stay, POLICY on check-in and check-out, and the very few house rules.
4. GET HAPPY!: If we have the space and you've done #1,2,3, we WELCOME you gladly! Hosting people from the around the world is awesome and you've chosen the BEST VALUE anywhere!
Our home is a BUDGET TRAVELER'S DREAM!! A peaceful oasis to crash at while you're out all day exploring the city. Easy subway access to Manhattan on two subway lines- 2,5 at Church Avenue, and easily transferable to the 3,4 trains at Franklin Avenue, and the N,Q,R,B,D lines at Atlantic Avenue.
About the ROOM:: This room is one of two guest rooms in our brand new home in Flatbush, Brooklyn! This room is for ONE PERSON ONLY (no exceptions).
This bedroom has…
- twin-sized with at least 2 pillows
- closet to hang clothing and store luggage
- an IKEA expedit with drawers to store personal items
- a fan and a heater
- an A/C window unit
- hair dryer
- a lamp
- a chair
- a mirror
- subway map
- a huge guidebook with tips and places to visit
- pamphlets from various sites
- magazines and books
About our HOME:: Our 100 year old row-house was gut renovated in 2012. It has only one other apartment downstairs, occupied by very nice tenants. Our apartment has TWO Airbnb rooms, and our bedroom. The apartment is on the second floor and it is very quiet! Street parking is available. The subway stop is 3 quick blocks away, which has the Express 5 (20 minutes to Manhattan- Financial Districts and several transfer points- about 40 minutes to Grand Central Station), and the Local 2 train. For the price, you can't beat the subway access!
For your use, we provide…
- KEYLESS entry! (No keys, much safer; come and go as you please)
- free WiFi
- free luggage storage
- laundry facilities with soap provided
- DVDs to borrow for your laptop
- iron and ironing board
- bathroom: shared shower and bathtub, body soap, lotion, shampoo and conditioner
- kitchen: pots and pans, utensils, spices, plates, cups, and bowls, electric kettle, toaster
- breakfast: toast, a variety of cereals, low-fat milk, tea, oatmeal
We have two doggies, Oliver and Cookie, who would love to be your best friend. They are well behaved, but very nosy and content to be by your side, or leave you alone entirely.
Use of the...
-SHARED bathroom with tub and detachable shower-head
-kitchen to eat in and cook (we must show you how to use the stove
-occasional use of clothes washer and dryer (once we give a briefing on the appliances)
Interaction with Guests
WE LIVE HERE so we are usually home in the evenings. Zach mostly works from home in the day, so he is available if guest are in need of anything.
Christa is usually available via text messaging (WhatsApp).
About the NEIGHBORHOOD:::
The neighborhood is Flatbush, bordering Ditmas Park and Prospect-Lefferts Gardens. Our neighborhood is very residential and typically quiet. The ages of the neighborhood are very diverse (young children to elderly homeowners who have been here for 40 years). Flatbush is on the brink of gentrification and has a lot of local charm.
Jamaican food is plentiful (jerk chicken- yeah!); there is also a local donut shop nearby, Thai, sushi, pizza, and Indian food for delivery or a 5-15 minute walk to the restaurant, as well as many chain stores like Dominos, Dunkin' Donuts, IHOP, and Walgreens drug store. There is also a Planet Fitness (handy for Black-Card members!)
Just a 10 minute walk down the road is Kings Theater (built originally in 1929 and shut in the 70s) just under went a $93 million renovation and re-opened in February 2015. It has been called the Radio City Music Hall of Brooklyn, and it is quite extravagant. Restorationists and Architects would be delighted to tour this place and see a concert or show. Many big names come here including Diana Ross, Sarah McLaughlin, Sufjan Stevens, Spoon, Passion Pit, Gladys Knight, Daniel Tosh, and Broadway-type shows like Annie. We are very glad this has opened here!
Many students, young professionals, elderly, children live around-- it is very diverse and fun. It is very busy, lively and well lit; lots of traffic and people hanging out, loving life. Mostly working-class population, so lots of commuters each morning and night. There are giant housing complexes around; it is a true neighborhood, so smile at everyone and you're sure to get a friendly "good morning!" or "God be with you!" Police station and Fire Station are two blocks away.
Four subway stops away at Franklin Avenue there are many restaurants with burgers, ice cream, vegetarian options, organic grocery stores, bars, coffee shops, wine stores, Thai food, shopping boutiques, live music, poetry readings, and yoga.
We are close to Prospect Park-- our favorite part of the borough, and the biggest reason we moved here! About a 20 minute walk, there is a new ice-skating rink (October-April) and roller skating as well (April-October). It was a $90 million complex! In Prospect Park, there are many large fields for a picnic and trails to walk. There is also a gathering of Food Trucks from May-October every 1st and 3rd Sunday from 11am-5pm, and a long-run Farmer's Market year-round on Saturdays from 8am-3pm. This park was designed by the same people who designed Central Park.
Brooklyn Botanic Gardens are a 35 minute walk, or a 10 minute subway ride right to the entrance.
We are located three blocks from the 2,5 trains at Church Avenue. We are also a 5 minute walk from the SBS 44 bus to Crown Heights, Bed-Stuy, Clinton Hill, Fort Greene, and Williamsburg. We are near B35 bus, which takes you across Church Avenue. The B,Q trains (south to the beach, north to Manhattan) are a mile (20 minute) walk away.
Other Things to Note
**NOTE: Though our CHECK-IN and CHECK-OUT times are VERY FLEXIBLE, it is important to understand that many times, we have guests back to back.
CHECK IN: This means, if you are coming in on a red-eye flight and are arriving early in the morning, the previous guest may still be occupying the room until after we have both left for work meetings. As we work and are not a full-time business (just a couple renting out a room to meet awesome travelers), we may not be able to change the sheets and thoroughly clean the room until later in the evening, sometimes as late as 7pm. You are welcome to drop your bags at any time on Check in Day! This is usually no issue 90% of the time.
CHECK OUT: Additionally, because of time constraints, we may ask that you be packed up and OUT of the apartment on the morning of your checkout. You are always welcome to leave your bags, especially for those guests who have late evening flights (Who wants, or COULD, drag all that gear around?!). Thank you so much in advance for your understanding and flexibility!
- Most importantly to us, please take your shoes off at the door... New York streets are absolutely filthy and we don't want that dirt/bodily functions inside.
- This is a non-smoking property. All smoking must be done at the curb due to asthma and allergies.
- Absolutely NO GUESTS who have not been previously approved through Airbnb reservation or in person. Please do not bring anyone into the house.
- AIR CONDITIONING: This window unit costs a large amount of money for us to run, so we want to make sure we can afford to keep providing it. The room is rather small and well insulated, and cools down within 7 minutes of turning it on.
...Please, do not raise the level over 4. It should be cool in your room, not frigid, which would likely be about $10/day to run it (yikes).
...There is no energy saver mode, so please remember to turn it OFF when you leave.
...Please keep your door closed when the unit is in use.
- Be courteous to other guests staying: leave the bathroom as you found it by cleaning up hair and any spills. Wipe the counter if preparing food. All stuff you know because you're likely a responsible and cool adult. Keep in clean, Charlie Bean! ;)
- Come and go all hours of the night as you please, but avoid slamming doors while people are resting.
- Inform us of any issues, or anything that has broken so we can remedy it quickly and avoid the replacement fee.
- Dirty dishes and cups can be left in the sink (we will load them in the dishwasher), but Please wash pots, pans, and knives with the WHITE brush.
- No candles.
- No illegal drugs or illegal activities in person or with web usage.
- Think Green! Turn off lights and fan when you leave the room; recycle; don't run the water excessively, etc.
- Be nice! :) Have fun, and come to us immediately with any questions, concerns, or problems. We want you to enjoy your stay and preserve our house for the comfort of all presents guests and the wonderful souls who will fill our home in the future.
ENJOY YOUR STAY! :)
Staying with Christa and Zach was a fantastic way to spend the evening before a move. I had just driven all day, was exhausted, and while I would have loved to explore something local, I just wanted to crash. I still couldn't help but be sociable and they were both very wonderful. Many home improvements have been made here and its a very lovely place. Incredibly clean, inviting, even their little dogs are adorable.
It doesn't take a few moments to realize they are both very active in their community, they live on premise and don't just rent it out... its really a home.
The room I stayed in was on the small side, but for one person, you really don't need a lot, and it's all there. Anything else, they drop what they are doing and tend to you. I couldn't have asked for a more laid back simple and comfortable experience.
Christa and Zach were excellent airbnb hosts and very deserving of their title as "Superhosts." They were both so welcoming and helpful. The room was perfect for a single traveler and was very comfortable and spacious. I really appreciated that it was not too far off from public transportation and that it felt like it was in a relatively safe neighborhood. And I loved their adorable dogs! I would highly recommend their place to anyone who needs to stay in Brooklyn.
Great hosts! Comfy bed and great apartment. Clean too. (Very important to me) The dogs are sooo cute. Thanks for the great stay!
Zack and Christa were great hosts! I spent two weeks living in their place and they were extremely friendly and willing to help me with anything. I had just moved to the city and they helped me navigate my way around the city. Their apartment is lovely and I would definitely recommend staying with them to anyone who needs a place to stay!
This host has 146 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Christa And Zach
After 4 years of hosting over 500 people, we are finally SUPERHOSTS! Yay!! Committed to giving you the best stay possible at an affordable price.
Christa: 20-something ;) vinyasa-style 200-hr. yoga teacher (private lessons available for additional fee in our on-site yoga studio) and a 85-hr. prenatal and post-natal yoga teacher. Also a nanny, and former elementary school teacher. Married to an ambitious artist; cares for two sweet puppy dogs; Wishes she could live outside, 80% of the time. Happy, pleasant, and harmonious. Collects Christmas ornaments, and new plants.
- lists ;)
- miniature pigs, goats, chickens (I hope to have a mini farm one day!!)
- to run, do yoga, and lift weights
- anything relating to the great outdoors
- gardening in our backyard and making our block even more beautiful
Zach: originally from Texas, fine art photographer and videographer (search his name to find his website). Likes cheese, his pups, and New York. Works from home part time, and as an assistant part-time, and loves to visit galleries and hear artists' lectures.
We love helping people navigate the city by sharing useful tips and recommendations of places to eat and see! Hosting on Airbnb is a great experience, as we get to meet so many wonderful people from around the world. We love to learn about other cultures and share ours as well!
We have over 400 bookings in over 4 years!! We have met over 500 different travelers! What a great experience!
Handmade donuts in the neighborhood. Old style diner from the 50s. Counter service.Nostrand Ave NY 11226
Highly rated jerk chicken!Church Ave New York NY 11226
Big names-- we can walk to this theater!Flatbush Avenue NY 11226
Decent pizza and fast deliveryBedford Avenue NY 11226
Great Italian food within a 20 min walkRogers Ave Brooklyn NY 11225
Great Indian food for delivery tooBrooklyn NY 11225
Ice skating in the winter, roller skating, bike rental, and paddle boats in the summer!East Drive New York NY 11225
Best place ever!Brooklyn New York
Nearby organic grocery storeFranklin Ave New York NY 11238
Best pizza ever with great atmosphereFranklin Ave Brooklyn NY 11238