About this listing
A budget traveler's dream: comfort, style, subway access, + friendly hosts who've got an arsenal of suggestions and years experience all for a very reasonable price! Plus, 2 dogs to call your best friends for the duration of your stay :)
:) FIRST THINGS FIRST! :)
Airbnb has a COMMUNITY VIBE. We invite strangers into our home and welcome you as family, while giving you the SPACE AND RESPECT you need on your vacation. As such, we have a few requests when inquiring so that you get a QUICK AND POSITIVE acceptance!
1. PROFILE: Have a PHOTO of YOU, along with a BIO to let us know a little bit about you! (Where you're from, what you do, etc.) Please, VERIFY YOUR ID!
2. TRAVEL: Tell us about your TRIP (travel plans TO NYC, duration, etc.) and any special requirements you may have.
3. AGREEMENT: Confirm you have READ THE TERMS of stay, POLICY on check-in and check-out, and the very few house rules.
4. GET HAPPY!: If we have the space and you've done #1,2,3, we WELCOME you gladly! Hosting people from the around the world is awesome and you've chosen the BEST VALUE anywhere!
Our home is a BUDGET TRAVELER'S DREAM!! A peaceful oasis to crash at while you're out all day exploring the city. Easy subway access to Manhattan on two subway lines- 2,5 at Church Avenue, and easily transferable to the 3,4 trains at Franklin Avenue, and the N,Q,R,B,D lines at Atlantic Avenue.
About the ROOM:: This room is one of two guest rooms in our new home in Flatbush, Brooklyn! This room is for ONE PERSON ONLY (no exceptions).
This bedroom has…
- large queen-sized comfy bed
- closet to hang clothing and store luggage
- a cabinet with drawers to store personal items
- a fan and a heater
- an A/C window unit
- hair dryer
- a lamp
- a mirror
- subway map
- a huge guidebook with tips and places to visit
- pamphlets from various sites
- magazines and books
About our HOME:: Our 115 year old row-house was gut renovated in 2012. It has only one other apartment downstairs, occupied by very nice tenants.
-Our apartment has TWO Airbnb rooms, and our bedroom (three bedrooms total).
-The apartment is on the second floor and it is very quiet!
-Street parking is available.
-The subway stop is 3 quick blocks away, which has the Express 5 (20 minutes to Manhattan- Financial Districts and several transfer points- about 40 minutes to Grand Central Station), and the Local 2 train. For the price, you can't beat the subway access!
For your use, we provide…
- KEYLESS entry! (No keys, much safer; come and go as you please)
- free WiFi
- free luggage storage
- laundry facilities with soap provided
- DVDs to borrow for your laptop
- iron and ironing board
- bathroom: SHARED shower and bathtub, body soap, lotion, shampoo and conditioner
- kitchen: pots and pans, utensils, spices, plates, cups, and bowls, electric kettle, toaster oven, French press coffee
- breakfast: toast, a variety of cereals, low-fat milk, tea, oatmeal, French press coffee
We have two doggies, Oliver and Cookie, who would love to be your best friend. They are well behaved, but very nosy and content to be by your side, or leave you alone entirely.
Use of the...
-SHARED bathroom with tub and detachable shower-head
-kitchen to eat in and cook (we must show you how to use the stove and toaster oven)
-occasional use of clothes washer and dryer (once we give a briefing on the appliances)
Interaction with Guests
WE LIVE HERE so we are usually home in the evenings.
Zach mostly works from home in the day, so he is available if guests are in need of anything, but mostly keeps quiet to himself on his laptop or in his basement studio.
Christa works out of the home and is usually available via text messaging on What's Ap or iMessage for iPhone.
About the NEIGHBORHOOD:::
The neighborhood is Flatbush, bordering Ditmas Park and Prospect-Lefferts Gardens. This is NOT hipster paradise, and it's NOT gangster's paradise either!
Our neighborhood is very residential and typically quieter than most urban cities. The summertime is louder on the block because very few people have air conditioning and enjoy hanging outside. The neighbors are friendly, so say hello as you pass! The ages of the neighborhood are very diverse (young children to elderly homeowners who have been here for 40 years). Flatbush has a lot of local charm and people with hearts of gold.
Jamaican food is plentiful (jerk chicken- yeah!); there is also a local donut shop nearby, Subway, Thai, sushi, pizza, and Indian food for delivery or a 5-15 minute walk to the restaurant, as well as many chain stores like Dominos, Dunkin' Donuts, IHOP, and Walgreens drug store. There is also a Planet Fitness (handy for Black-Card members!)
Just a 10 minute walk down the road is Kings Theater (built originally in 1929 and shut in the 70s) just under went a $93 million renovation and re-opened in February 2015. It has been called the Radio City Music Hall of Brooklyn, and it is quite extravagant. Restorationists and Architects would be delighted to tour this place and see a concert or show. Many big names come here including Diana Ross, Sarah McLaughlin, Sufjan Stevens, Ringo Starr, Spoon, Passion Pit, Gladys Knight, Daniel Tosh, and Broadway-type shows like Annie. We are very glad this has opened here!
Many students, young professionals, elderly, children live around-- it is very diverse and fun. The subway station is very busy and usually has a lot of litter and trash around, unfortunately. It is busy, lively and well lit; lots of traffic and people hanging out, loving life. Mostly working-class population, so lots of commuters each morning and night. There are not giant housing complexes around; it is a true neighborhood, so smile at everyone and you're sure to get a friendly "good morning!" or "God be with you!" Police station and Fire Station are two blocks away.
Four subway stops away at Franklin Avenue there are many restaurants with burgers, ice cream, vegetarian options, organic grocery stores, bars, coffee shops, wine stores, Thai food, shopping boutiques, live music, poetry readings, and yoga.
We are close to Prospect Park-- our favorite part of the borough, and the biggest reason we moved here! About a 20 minute walk, there is a new ice-skating rink (October-April) and in the summer, paddle boat and bicycle rental, and roller skating as well (April-October). It was a $90 million complex! In Prospect Park, there are many large fields for a picnic and trails to walk. There is also a gathering of Food Trucks from May-October every 1st and 3rd Sunday from 11am-5pm, and a long-run Farmer's Market year-round on Saturdays from 8am-3pm. Also the food market Smorgasburg takes place here and is about a 30 minute walk from our door. This park was designed by the same people who designed Central Park.
Brooklyn Botanic Gardens are a 35 minute walk, or a 10 minute subway ride right to the entrance.
We are located three blocks from the 2,5 trains at Church Avenue. We are also a 5 minute walk from the SBS 44 bus to Crown Heights, Bed-Stuy, Clinton Hill, Fort Greene, and Williamsburg. We are near B35 bus, which takes you across Church Avenue. The B,Q trains (south to the beach, north to Manhattan) are a mile (20 minute) walk away.
Other Things to Note
**NOTE: Though our CHECK-IN and CHECK-OUT times are VERY FLEXIBLE, it is important to understand that many times, we have guests back to back.
CHECK IN: This means, if you are coming in on a red-eye flight and are arriving early in the morning, the previous guest may still be occupying the room until after we have both left for work meetings. As we work and are not a full-time business (just a couple renting out a room to meet awesome travelers), we may not be able to change the sheets and thoroughly clean the room until later in the evening, sometimes as late as 7pm. You are welcome to drop your bags at any time on Check in Day! This is usually no issue 90% of the time.
CHECK OUT: Additionally, because of time constraints, we may ask that you be packed up and OUT of the apartment on the morning of your checkout. You are always welcome to leave your bags, especially for those guests who have late evening flights (Who wants, or COULD, drag all that gear around?!). Thank you so much in advance for your understanding and flexibility!
- Most importantly to us, please take your shoes off at the door... New York streets are absolutely filthy and we don't want that dirt/bodily functions inside.
- This is a non-smoking property. All smoking must be done at the curb due to asthma and allergies.
- Absolutely NO GUESTS who have not been previously approved through Airbnb reservation or in person. Please do not bring anyone into the house.
- AIR CONDITIONING: This window unit costs a large amount of money for us to run, so we want to make sure we can afford to keep providing it. The room is rather small and well insulated, and cools down within 7 minutes of turning it on.
...Please, do not raise the level over 4. It should be cool in your room, not frigid, which would likely be about $10/day to run it (yikes).
...There is no energy saver mode, so please remember to turn it OFF when you leave.
...Please keep your door closed when the unit is in use.
- Be courteous to other guests staying: leave the bathroom as you found it by cleaning up hair and any spills. Wipe the counter if preparing food. All stuff you know because you're likely a responsible and cool adult. Keep in clean, Charlie Bean! ;)
- Come and go all hours of the night as you please, but avoid slamming doors while people are resting.
- Inform us of any issues, or anything that has broken so we can remedy it quickly and avoid the replacement fee.
- Dirty dishes and cups must be RINSED and loaded into the dishwasher.
- Please handwash pots, pans, and knives with the WHITE brush.
- No candles.
- No illegal drugs or illegal activities in person or with web usage.
- Think Green! Turn off lights and fan when you leave the room; recycle; don't run the water excessively, etc.
- Be nice! :) Have fun, and come to us immediately with any questions, concerns, or problems.
We want you to enjoy your stay and preserve our house for the comfort of all presents guests and the wonderful souls who will fill our home in the future.
ENJOY YOUR STAY! :)
***if booking through instant book, please understand that all terms must be met. You must be more flexible with your check in times. We are happy to welcome you! This is something we have done for nearly five years and we love it! Please accurately put the amount of guests. Incorrect bookings may be subject to cancellation or a higher rate.
-Know that we have two small dogs who just want to alert us when you come in, and then give you lots of love after a long day in NYC. Hugs and kisses are free!
** ^^^ Any breach of these rules may result in a loss of your deposit.
-**NOTE: Though our check-in and check-out times are very flexible, it is important to understand that many times, we have guests back to back. This means, if you are coming in on a red-eye flight and are arriving early in the morning, the previous guest may still be occupying the room until 11am. As we work and are not a full-time business (just a couple renting out a room to meet awesome travelers), we may not be able to change the sheets and thoroughly clean the room until later in the evening. If you are concerned about your schedule, please inquire. We may be able to have to room empty and ready by the time of your arrival by not booking for the night before. Additionally, because of time constraints, we may ask that you be packed up and out of the apartment by 11am. You are always welcome to leave your bags, especially for those guests who have late evening flights (Who wants, or COULD, drag all that gear around?!). Thank you so much in advance for your understanding and flexibility!