About this listing
Private room w/ closet, safe, TV, full-size bed, and Roku. ** PRIVATE SHOWER w/ HOT WATER included. Walking distance to EVERYTHING. Modernized shared-kitchen/living area. Main lobby attendant. WiFi (6Mbps), Bar, Wii, wall-mounted TV.
** THIS ROOM HAS A PRIVATE BATH
Walking distance to EVERYTHING downtown. Extremely modernized shared-kitchen/living area. Main lobby attendant. Memory foam mattress topper. Living Room includes Wireless Internet (4-6Mbps), WiiU, wall-mounted TV w/Netflix. Very modernized.
The condo is a 3BR/2BA. I live in one room, and occasionally have a guest in the middle (shared) room and/or the first (private bath).
Because this room has a small attached bathroom (a very nice one) -- it's probably our favorite room. The bed is a full size with a tempurpedic-grade 4" mattress topper brought from the US.
Room is not facing the street so traffic noise is minimal (though we are downtown, so anywhere you stay will have SOME traffic noise).
If you are visiting San Jose for business or pleasure, there is no better deal than this.
* FULLY furnished downtown condo.
* High-Speed (4-6Mbs) Wireless Internet
* Wii U with some games and Netflix
* Bedroom has 4" REAL memory foam topper.
* Large living room area with mounted plasma TV and stereo system
* FULL kitchen with dishwasher, stove, microwave, and fridge. Stainless steel.
* There is a large open space on top of the building for viewing the city and just chilling out.
* 24 hour lobby person.
* $20 can be paid separately if you would like a FULL private breakfast and maid service on any given morning (otherwise, maid service and breakfast is NOT provided).
Bario Amon is mostly the "art district" in the daytime and the "party district" in the night time. A LOT of the historic downtown stuff is located within 5 minutes of walking and within 60 seconds in a taxi.
You are within 3 blocks of a major bank, grocery store, exit highway, and a LOT of bars/restaurants.
About 3 blocks up you have access to nearly ALL local bus stops. The newest main bus station (7/14 completed in August 2015) allows for trips out of San Jose to the rest of Costa Rica -- If you go to Jaco, use this bus station (not the older coca cola bus station). The 7.14 bus station (named this because it is at Call 7, Ave 14) is about 3 minutes in taxi (or about $1.50 / 750 colones in taxi)
In other words, this is an EXTREMELY convenient location.
NOISE - We are downtown. Your room is NOT facing the street and is isolated a bit, you may hear some traffic. In 6 years I have never heard a guest complain. The walls here are pretty thick.
NIGHT TIME - In any city, the downtown areas can be a little unnerving at night. San Jose is no different. Just be aware of your surroundings, take the red taxis, and you should be fine.
PHONE - If you have a Verizon iPhone 5+ you will be fine. AT&T phones work here also but you need to have them unlocked to add a local chip (or you can use your own chip but call AT&T before because your bill might skyrocket).
You have free access to the kitchen, balcony, bar (but please replace what you use), rooftop patio, parking space.
North and west of the Jade Museum lies this pleasant, historic neighborhood, home to a cluster of cafetalero (coffee grower) mansions constructed during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In recent years, many of the area’s historic buildings have been converted into hotels, restaurants and offices, making this a popular district for an architectural stroll. You’ll find everything from art-deco concrete manses to brightly painted tropical Victorian structures in various states of upkeep. It is a key arts center.
Grocery stores, the national theater, all local busses, etc are within 3-9 blocks of the apartment. In fact, calle 3 (which we are on) is one of the main north/south locations so you can get nearly anywhere from one of the stops within 3 blocks.
** FOR JACO TRAVELLERS ** — Effective September 2015 you can ignore 100% of what you read on the internet about leaving for Jaco using the Coca Cola bus station. That is no longer relevant as the new 7.14 station has opened (named this because it’s at ave 7 calle 14). If you are going to Jaco, use this location (the same schedule you see online still does apply). This station is about $1.50 (or 750 colones) from the condo.
- I charge the $5 daily guest fee usually only because of the added water/electric.
- Anyone you meet in Costa Rica AFTER YOU CHECK IN should NOT be in the common area or the kitchen unless they are in your presence. In other words, if you fall in love at 11pm and bring a guest over, then fine, but go straight to your room and not the living room where hands like to wander around and often grab stuff. If you check in with a travelling guest, then there is no issue.
- I have a full bar, nice entertainment area, and balcony. So it's normal to maybe have a late night drink, or watch a movie. But between 11pm and 8am, please keep the noise in the living room to a minimum.
- As far as the bar, if you drink it, just replace it. If you expect to stay a few nights, most people just grab whatever they want from the grocery store (which we can do for you before you arrive if you want).
- ALL GUESTS should wear, at minimum, shirts and shorts when in the living room and kitchen. I hate saying this, but people laying on my couch in their boxers and no shirt makes me want to gag. No thanks.
- CLEAN UP - If you are in the kitchen and make a mess, just clean up like you would at your own house please. This is a FULL kitchen with double counters, dishes, nice sets of dishes and cookware. Etc. A few dishes overnight is one thing, but leaving stuff out for 24 hours is a no-no.
Cancel up to 7 days before your trip and get a 50% refund plus service fees back.
This host has 17 reviews for other properties.View other reviews
Hi, I am Scott, I'm just under 40, have been living back and forth in Costa Rica for 6 years, and have made this my home, when I am here I usually welcome guests who like to come down for between 1 and 10 days to either experience tours throughout the country, or stay downtown and experience the nightlife here. I have a LOT of friends here now, so whatever you are into, chances are I can probably help you get around and/or guide you in the right direction.
I'm pretty laid back, work on the computer most days, and wind up out with friends during the evenings to either bars, clubs, or dinners. I'm EXTREMELY social later in the day after I get my work done, and I LOVE to cook when I have time.
Sometimes, I am back in the US for a while, so you MAY OR MAY NOT see me on your trip depending on when you arrive, however Sugey is there, she manages everything for me when I'm gone and she can help you with anything that you need. (otherwise, breakfast and maid service is not included).
You can play any music in the house except country music :)