About This Listing
Private room w/ closet, safe, TV, full-size bed, and Roku. ** PRIVATE BATH/SHOWER in apartment. Walking distance to EVERYTHING. Modernized shared-kitchen/living area. Main lobby attendant. WiFi (6Mbps), Bar, PS4, wall-mounted TV.
Walking distance to EVERYTHING downtown. Extremely modernized shared-kitchen/living area. Main lobby attendant. Memory foam mattress topper. Living Room includes Wireless Internet (2Mbps), Guest Computer, Bar, PS3, PS4, WiiU, wall-mounted TV w/Netflix, jacuzzi shower. Very modernized.
The condo is a 3BR/2BA. I live in one room, and occasionally have a guest in the middle (shared) room and/or the first (private bath).
** THIS ROOM HAS A PRIVATE BATH. It also has a TV (no cable) with Roku, and a small closet and safe.
Bed is a full size with a tempurpedic-grade 4" mattress topper brought from the US.
Room is not facing the street so traffic noise is minimal (though we are downtown, so anywhere you stay will have SOME traffic noise).
If you are visiting San Jose for business or pleasure, there is no better deal than this.
* FULLY furnished downtown condo.
* High-Speed (6Mbs) Wireless Internet (plus secure VPN connection through Miami so you can watch Netflix outside of the United States)
* Playstation 3, 4 and Wii U with games
* Bedroom has 4" REAL memory foam topper.
* Bathroom has unlimited passive hot water heater.
* Large living room area with mounted plasma TV and stereo system
* FULL kitchen with dishwasher, stove, microwave, and fridge. Stainless steel.
* There is a large open space on top of the building for viewing the city and just chilling out.
* 24 hour lobby person.
* $20 can be paid separately if you would like a FULL private breakfast and maid service on any given morning (otherwise, maid service and breakfast is NOT provided).
Usually I work from the bedroom during the day, and go out in the evening. There are some occasions where I may be out of the country, however there is a house manager for the days I'm not here.
Bario Amon is mostly the "art district" in the daytime and the "party district" in the night time. A LOT of the historic downtown stuff is located within 5 minutes of walking and within 60 seconds in a taxi.
You are within 3 blocks of a major bank, grocery store, exit highway, and a LOT of bars/restaurants.
About 3 blocks up you have access to nearly ALL local bus stops. The Coca Cola bus station (trips out of San Jose to the rest of Costa Rica) is a $3/5min taxi ride from the condo. In other words, this is an EXTREMELY convenient location.
NOISE - We are downtown. Your room is NOT facing the street and is isolated a bit, however if the AC is off, you may hear some traffic. My room overlooks the street so I keep my fans on, but in your case, if you keep the AC fan running, you should be fine. In 6 years I have never heard a guest complain. The walls here are pretty thick.
NIGHT TIME - In any city, the downtown areas can be a little unnerving at night. San Jose is no different. Just be aware of your surroundings, take the red taxis, and you should be fine.
PHONE - If you have a Verizon iPhone 5/5s/6 you will be fine. AT&T phones work here also but you need to have them unlocked.
- I charge the $5 daily guest fee usually only because of the added water/electric.
- Anyone you meet in Costa Rica AFTER YOU CHECK IN should NOT be in the common area or the kitchen unless they are in your presence. In other words, if you fall in love at 11pm and bring a guest over, then fine, but go straight to your room and not the living room where hands like to wander around and often grab stuff. If you check in with a travelling guest, then there is no issue.
- I have a full bar, nice entertainment area, and balcony. So it's normal to maybe have a late night drink, or watch a movie. But between 11pm and 8am, please keep the noise in the living room to a minimum.
- As far as the bar, if you drink it, just replace it. If you expect to stay a few nights, most people just grab whatever they want from the grocery store (which we can do for you before you arrive if you want).
- ALL GUESTS should wear, at minimum, shirts and shorts when in the living room and kitchen. I hate saying this, but people laying on my couch in their boxers and no shirt makes me want to gag. No thanks.
- CLEAN UP - If you are in the kitchen and make a mess, just clean up like you would at your own house please. This is a FULL kitchen with double counters, dishes, nice sets of dishes and cookware. Etc. A few dishes overnight is one thing, but leaving stuff out for 24 hours is a no-no.
It was such a pleasure staying at Scott's place. He is a great host, from the moment I contacted him, he told us everything we need to know about Costa Rica and his apartment, getting from the airport, he recommended us some very nice spots in San Jose.
His apartment has everything we needed, we were extremely comfortable, it has all the things announced here, even more!
Also, Scott and his friends are very welcoming, they also gave us a tour the very first night.
I recommend Scott's place 100%, if you're going to San Jose, don't hesitate, this is the best place. It has a great location, Barrio Amon it's at walking distance to everything in SJ, there are good restaurants, grocery stores, ATM's, bars, etc.
thanks to Scott for being such a great host, we'll certainly coming back!
Scott and Jennifer were not only great hosts but also lifesavers! Soon after we arrived, I realized I'd left my laptop in the plane. They went way out of their way to help successfully retrieve it. The room was as described, we felt comfortably relaxed and also used their modern kitchen. We will definitely coming again.
Mi estancia en San José fue estupenda. Los días en la casa de Scott fueron muy acogedores. El apartamento está muy bien ubicado y las comodidades que ofrece son estupenda. Me sentí como en casa gracias a él y a Sugey. Ella se encargo de orientarme en todo lo que necesité. No dudaría en regresar y disfrutar de la confortable ducha. Estoy muy agradecido de haberlos tenido de anfitriones.
Staying at Scott's was really nice. He has a really cool place, well located. He and his teammates are really friendly and welcoming. They make sure everything is alright.
It is also easy to change your reservation if you need to.
The apartment is really cosy and well equipped.
Scott and his unit were the perfect place for us while staying in San Jose. His unit is located in a safe building in a location very near downtown and super accessible for bus stations, site seeing downtown and the like. If you're looking for a safe, convenient, modern (hot water - a rarity from our travels throughout Costa Rica) place to stay you've found it with Scott's penthouse apartment!!!
This host has 10 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Scott
I'm just under 40, have been living in Costa Rica for 6 years, and have made this my home. I usually welcome guests who like to come down for between 1 and 10 days to either experience tours throughout the country, or stay downtown and experience the nightlife here. I have a LOT of friends here now, so whatever you are into, chances are I can probably help you get around and/or guide you in the right direction.
I'm pretty laid back, work on the computer most days, and wind up out with friends during the evenings to either bars, clubs, or dinners. I'm EXTREMELY social later in the day after I get my work done, and I LOVE to cook when I have time.
Sometimes, I am back in the US for a while, so the place will be empty, so you MAY OR MAY NOT see me on your trip depending on when you arrive, however I have a lady who manages everything for me when I'm gone and she can come over and cook/clean (for a fee that you pay to her) any day you need (otherwise, breakfast and maid service is not included).
You can play any music in the house except country music :)