About the property
1. Our Guesthouse is nestled at the base of Udaipur’s renowned City Palace in the heart of the Old City.
2. The street in which the 250 year old heritage house or haveli is located, Kavi Rao Mohan Singh, is named after an ancestor of the family and is a comfortable sanctuary just off Bhattiyani Chouhtta, a fascinating market street lined with handicrafts stalls.
3. We invite you to nest and rest in one of our two spacious bedrooms (11x17ft). You can curl up reading in cushioned bay-windows or sprawl out for a siesta on firm double beds with freshly laundered linen.
4. Each room is decorated with eclectic handicrafts, antiques and textiles.
5. Our guesthouse is newly renovated, so our bathroom facilities are clean and reliable.
6. Each room has an ensuite bathroom with western toilet and a running hot shower available 24 hours a day.
7. We will happily provide clean towels and new bed linen at your request.
7. In addition to our simple but charming heritage rooms, it has two spacious terraces from which panoramic views of the City Palace and verdant Aravali Hills can be taken in.
8. It is a perfect place to experience the nightly sound and light show which sets the Palace ablaze, watch the buzzing rooftop life of the Old City, or rest-up with a book, drink or meal happily provided by your hosts (upon request). Of course, it's courtyard is also a lovely shady place to pass time.
9. The traditional layout of our home (several rooms arranged around open courtyards) is perfect for the independently minded traveller who also wants to experience the life and hospitality of a local family. You may come and go from our rooms as you please as they each have a private entrance from the little garden courtyard.
10. As our family are descendants of a renowned poet who served in the royal court of Mewar and shared a close relationship with the then King (Maharana), our home was gifted to our ancestor by the royal family.
Attractions and distance
It is thus located very centrally, just 5 minutes walk to the palace and other heritage highlights of Udaipur, such as:
1. Jagdish Temple- Built from marble in C17th and dedicated to Jagdish’ or Vishnu (Lord and protector of the universe), this is Udaipur’s most notable and beautiful Hindu temple.
2. Gangaur Ghat- A complex of Shiva temples perched on the bank of Pichola Lake where the annual Gangaur festival unique to Rajasthan is commemorated. Also a wonderful spot to observe the rituals of daily life, the gorgeous Lake Palace and Jag Mandir island.
3. Ayurvedic Hospital- Provides free consultations, daily yoga classes and mud therapy.
4. Rose Garden- The favoured place for locals to picnic and exercise.
5. Many handicrafts, vegetable and spice markets.
2. Air Conditioning
4. Cable TV
5. Free Parking
Check in Flexible
Check out 10A.M.
Who we are
Hi there, my name is Akshay. My parents Gajendra and Vimla, my younger sister Tina and I would like to invite you to share in the joy of our local culture, architecture and landscape from a unique vantage point- our family home! I recently established 'Little Garden Guesthouse' to provide an income for my retired Mum and Dad, assist in maintaining our heritage property, and to entertain my love of imparting local knowledge! I have 6 years experience assisting travellers seeking out the best of Udaipur. Whilst you stay with us I will be available to ensure that your room is comfortable and your city wanderings rewarding! I look forward to your expressions of interest.
Thank you :)
Oasis in the middle of the city! We (two couples) heve been there for two nights and where really impressed: You drive in the middle of the city with narrow streets and then walk through the gate and it gets quiet and calm.
Perfect location: Everything is just a walking distance.
The place is small (two bedrooms) and private, wonderful garden, very traditional-stylish bedrooms with "western-style" bathrooms. A perfect mix of tradition and modernity. Lovely host-family. Udaipur and little garden guesthouse are great.
We spent three weeks in India and this was my favorite place that we stayed. I can't say enough good things about the Little Garden Guesthouse! The rooms were so beautiful and comfortable. Everything was very clean. Akshay and his family are wonderful hosts. They completely spoiled us with kindness, great tips for places to go, delicious chai and they even invited us over for dinner one night. The location is also perfect, just a 5-10 min walk to the Jagdish Temple. I would recommend this guesthouse to anyone and everyone and I would definitely stay here again!
Staying at Akshay family guesthouse is like staying at your family/relatives home. Akshay is always making sure that your stay is the best it can be in Udaipur. If you have a problem, he will be there to help you. If yout want to be just relaxing and enjoying Udaipur, he is the one who will make it the best experience it can be, as a tourist guide, or better, as a friend!
His family is lovely. We were invited to dinner, and we had the most delicious dinner with Tina ( his sister)and parents.
The rooms are perfectly confortable and clean, with a homely touch, and Akshay sensitiveness about creating a charming environement, with antiques he has been collecting. So, thank you Akshay, you made Udaipur, our prefered city in Rajasthan!!!
Marta and Mario
The Little Garden Guesthouse is a soothing oasis in a very bustling city! We stayed at the guesthouse for several days while in Udaipur. The rooms are spacious and cool, with beautiful Rajasthani furnishings and art works. A balanced mix of the ancient and the modern. The bathroom was newly renovated and impeccably clean, with copious hot water and fresh towels. Our room was set off the courtyard from the main house, with lots of privacy and quiet. However, the family who owns the haveli is very warm and inviting. They brought us a cup of tea each morning and afternoon, and we enjoyed several meals in their home. Our host also helped us to find beautiful parks, restaurants and neighborhoods that are "off the beaten track" (i.e. not in the Lonely Planet guide...) It made the trip very memorable.
One of the best features of the guesthouse is the rooftop terrace, which is completely open to the sky. You have a stunning, private view of the Udaipur City Palace, which is lit up every night (with spectacular colors and music). While on the roof, you can also meet the neighborhood children, who gather on their own terraces in the evening to play. It feels like you belong to the city.
The location of the guesthouse is ideal... it's in the center of the old town, admist a patchwork of ancient havelis, shops, gardens, and temples. The streets are narrow and winding, and there are hundreds of little "shortcuts" and "back alleys" to be explored. It's nice to be in the midst of all this-- especially when you have a quiet, cool room to return to. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The host is a very honest man who truly enjoys having guests in his home. And since he's a local, he can help you find fairly-priced taxis, restaurants, etc. It's a perfect base for exploring the city and surrounding countryside.
In countries where I don't speak the language I like to stay with a family in a central location. The Little Garden Guest House was an excellent choice. First I want to say that they have wifi- which is not the case in all airbnbs, so check. From providing transportation information to recommendations on sites to visit, to restaurants, shopping, hiking even yoga; Akshay was a wealth of information. And Tina's cooking was the best I had in India (and I travelled from the east to the far western Indian states. The rooms are tastefully decorated (I think the photo doesn't do them justice) and they provide all the modern conveniences that you don't notice until you don't have. As some one else mentioned, Mr. Rao's chai tea is something to rave about. A charming family who were there for you when you needed them yet you had as much privacy as you wanted. Five stars from me.
Do yourself a favour and book into the Little Guest House! I have travelled extensively all over the world for the past 20 years and I would have to rate my stay here as the most enjoyable and hospitable experience ever! The guest house itself is charming, spotless, central and quiet.... the added bonus is Akshay and his AMAZING family..... the most hospitable hosts you could ever hope to find. No request was a problem and we really felt that Akshay and his family went above and beyond to ensure we had a great stay. One of the highlights was spending time in the kitchen with Akshays mother and sister Teena who prepared us the most delicious Rajasthani food.... and Akshays father who makes the best Chai in India. We cant wait to return and stay here again! Helen and Lee Sydney Australia
We had a great stay at the Little Garden Guesthouse. Akshay was very welcoming, a great host and we really wished we had stayed for longer! The room was immaculate and very stylishly decorated. The location was perfect and 5 mins from the city palace. Akshay gave us a very quick tour of the city palace and helped us get a boat to view the lake palace and also recommended a really nice restaurant for dinner. We had to leave at 5am the next day and managed to have a hot shower, even at that hour - would definitely recommend this stay!
Little Garden Guest House is the best! I felt so at home in Udaipur. Great location and beautiful rooms with yummy breakfast. Family is super sweet, knowledgable, and accommodating. Highly recommend.
This is the final rate, including any fees from the host and Airbnb.