About this listing
Kolkata Backpackers Homestay offers modest B&B accommodation, city walking tours & all other backpacking assistance to western Backpackers coming to Kolkata located in a quiet neighbourhood area less than 2km from City's centre~A Backpackers Basecamp
Backpacking in Kolkata(Calcutta) on a shoestring budget !!!!
“We are all travellers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.”
― Robert Louis Stevenson
Greetings to all my backpacking brothers from around the Globe..!!!
Kolkata Backpackers Homestay offers shoestring B&B accommodation for western backpackers and backpacking assistance to backpacking tourists coming to "Kolkata". Expect nothing fancy or luxury but modest yet comfortable homely accommodations offering Bed & Breakfast with free wi fi to transit/stopover backpackers heading to /from the hills of Darjeeling-Sikkim,Varanasi or Sunderban Tiger Reserve or simply coming to Calcutta known as the cultural capital of India which is fighting everyday to hold on to its Colonial past.
We welcome you stay at Kolkata's unique Basecamp and explore this wonderful city which stuck between it's rich past and ever changing modernity !!!
This is what we have to offer for you:
• Bed & Breakfast with warm blankets for 3 backpackers for night(4th Friend might just huddle in)
• Simple filling Home cooked Breakfast with a mix of Indian and European styled breakfast.Of course generous servings of Tea.. rather Chai as we say in India !!!
• Clean hygienic western toilets with toilet rolls with overhead shower.Hot water served separately in Buckets.(Towels & Shampoos provided on request)
• Free wi fi access at all areas.
• Books,Guitars & Board Games~Strike some tunes in our guitar,play chess or play cards,Plan your journey by going through our rich collection of travel books,study maps plan your tours with our guidance & more.
• Space for storing your heavy backpacks while you tour the city.
• City Walking tour with our guided service Rs.2000 per day for a group of upto 3 people(Full day-7-8 hours).Rs500 extra thereafter.
• Train Tickets Assistance:We assist you to Book train tickets if you are heading to hills of Darjeeling or to Varanasi.
• Go Camping :We have Himalayan Homestays too and our own camping ground ~Go Camping with Bon fires and Barbecues with us.
•Finding Postcards, Post office, souvenir shops we can help you with everything !!
So as the saying goes "The Road to a friend's house is never long" see you soon friend ~
Please Note while booking :
If your flight is arriving at midnight and you want to checking-in at the intervening night of say for example 8th and 9th January at 02:00 am you need to book the room for 8th Night as well and the reservation would be accepted for booking/checking-in from 8th Night and would not be counted as checking -in for 9th since the room for intervening night arrival has to be blocked/booked in your the night before.
Just to summarize:
What You get:
•A bed to sleep with Fresh linen and blanket/sleeping Bag.
•Clean Hygienic Western Toilets with Tissue papers/toilet rolls.
•Simple filling home cooked breakfast.
•24 hours wi-fi at all areas.
•Travel planning and ticket booking assistance.
•Hot water served separately in bucket and not running.
What you don't get:
•Towels-Please bring your own towels and toiletries.
•Laundry services at home, we can show you Laundry places around.
•No Running hot water from shower, hot water is provided by an electric heater in bucket.
Guest is accessed to ground floor rooms and patio.
Interaction with Guests
We interact with guests and be around 24x7 and help you lplan your trip ahead suggest you practical travel and stay informations , help you book train and flight tickets and if you are anxious about your first Incredible journey through India we can help calm your nerves by giving you a nice and easy start to your journey and help you get through the remaining trip with all necessary informations.
Quiet neighbourhood close to city centre, 10 minutes from nearest accessible metro and within 20 minutes to all interesting touristy places of Kolkata.
Metro station Netaji Bhavan is 10 minutes walk away and all touristy places like St Pauls Cathedral, Maidan, Victoria Memorial, Nandan Cultural Complex. Academy of fine arts, Kalighat temple and Mother Teresa's Nirmal Hriday Volunteers place isjust "ONE STOP" Away.
Down town Park street and Indian Meuseum is 03 stops away.
Other Things to Note
If your flight is arriving at midnight and you want to checking-in at the intervening night of say for example 8th and 9th January at 02:00 am you need to book the room for 8th Night as well and the reservation would be accepted for booking from 8th Night and would not be counted as checking -in for 9th since the accommodation for intervening night arrival has to be blocked the night before.
There isn't much of a house rules but we appreciate our guests following a few basic rules like:
1) Kindly leave your shoes outside :Please Be mindful of not to wear outdoor shoes in the room and use the slippers we provide since as per Indian custom we do not enter our room wearing outdoor shoes,
2) Don't Flush Tissues/Toilet Papers :Remember Not to flush tissues and toilet papers down the WC it chokes the WC and use the dustbin to trash any toilet paper waste.
3)NO LAUNDRY :We have domestic water supply and priority is given for usage of water for essentials like Shower, Toilets and other bathroom usages so "NO LAUNDRY" is allowed at the homestay, we can assist you to find Laundry around the locality.
4)NO DRUGS:Please me mindful that this is a homestay so any kind of drugs is not allowed be it Marijuana or any similar addictive smokes or drugs, We do sell and serve Beers and other social drinks and beer and similiar drinks is perfectly okay for us.
5) Lock-Out Time: Usually we close doors and lock out at 10:30pm but getting back late on odd days and Late flight arrival even if it's midnight is okay for us.
6)Save Energy: India is a energy starved Nation so please save energy whenever possible, when you leave the room please turn off all lights/fans and try to use sunlight during day time and help us save energy as and when possible.
About the Host, Rajarshi
Am a backpacker,a traveller, a dreamer...Life summarized in the words of Mark Twain "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
– Mark Twain