About this listing
Just 12 minutes across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco, this unique floating guest cottage offers the very best of the Sausalito houseboat experience. Located at the end of one of Marin’s most coveted houseboat docks, the Yellow Ferry Harbor, this freestanding floating home blends the nostalgia of the houseboat experience of the 1960’s and 70’s with today’s amenities.
The last boat on the northward leg of the dock, the floating guest cottage has sweeping views of the bay, the surrounding rolling hills, and in the distance, the majestic slopes of Mt. Tamalpais. An inviting public jetty extends into the bay between the cottage and the scores of sailboats berthed in the nearby Richardson Bay Marina. The gentle music of their riggings in the breeze will mesmerize you.
Enter through the main front room, whose dining table for six, comfortable sofa, and captain's chair can easily accommodate small gatherings of friends and family. The potbelly gas stove adds warmth and coziness on a rainy (website hidden) is a pleasure with a full-sized gas range, oven, and other modern appliances.
At the rear of the main floor, the smaller of two bedrooms sleeps two in a queen sized bed with comfortable Tempurpedic mattress. The large north-facing window frames the Marina and Mt. Tam beyond. The entire second floor is a master bedroom, a luxurious double bed nestled under the graceful curve of its arched ceiling.
On a sunny day – and this area is known locally as ‘The Banana Belt’ – enjoy outdoor dining on the spacious upper deck with its panoramic views. Or sit and read in the Adirondack chairs on the front float, surrounded by flowers. For recreation, paddle out in the kayaks or pedal away on the great Marin bike trail or to the Sausalito Ferry for the half-hour cruise to San Francisco. (No children under 13 in the kayak.) Bike rentals are a mile away.
Otis Redding fans will appreciate that he wrote Dock of the Bay while a guest on one of Sausalito's storied docks, some say this one. You are assured a serene and magical time, watching the tides roll away (thank you, Otis) and enjoying the herons and egrets, frequent visitors to your front yard.
This is the ideal rental for a couple or a single guest looking to get away from the everyday, but still seeking the convenience and fun that Sausalito offers. Families will experience the San Francisco Bay from a unique vantage point. Ideal for families with middle-schoolers or teenagers. Parents should realize that from a safety perspective living on a houseboat is no different than being on a boat. For that reason, no children under 10 are allowed as renters or as guests of the renters. Two couples may also share the guest cottage.
Since we charge only a modest cleaning fee, we expect guests to leave the floating guest cottage clean and in good order. If not, a reasonable deduction will be taken from your security deposit. We do not expect guests to wash or change the bed linens or towels. Also, local Marin County taxes are included in the fee.
The rental includes a parking space in the Yellow Ferry Harbor lot, and your houseboat is located just a five minute drive from downtown Sausalito, ten minutes from Mill Valley, twelve minutes across the Golden Gate Bridge to San Francisco and approximately an hour to the wine country.
This is a truly special residence in an unforgettable natural setting.
#17 YELLOW FERRY HARBOR
Guest Cottage and Harbor Policies
Thank you for your interest in renting #17 Yellow Ferry.
These are the rules for both the marina and the guest cottage. Please review and sign at the end. Signing can be done at check-in.
Please be aware that when then you stay on a houseboat, you are a guest in a close-knit community of fellow houseboaters. These homeowners have chosen to live on the water because of a shared love of nature and a considerate community. It is essential that you respect the community rights to peace and privacy and conduct your residency the same way you would expect from a next-door neighbor.
We look forward to welcoming you to our floating guest cottage.
Lois Salisbury & Bob Sinaiko
Lois’ Cell: (phone number hidden)
(Emergency Only: Bob’s Cell: (phone number hidden))
Email: (email hidden)
1.The parking lot provides one reserved space for the Renter. If you have a second car, it should be parked outside the fence.
2. After 5:00 PM, your guests must park outside the fence. Renters are responsible for informing their guests of this policy.
3.The parking spaces directly to the right of the dock entrance are reserved for the harbor owner. Other reserved spaces are identified.
(website hidden) car debris should be discarded in the parking lot, including (especially) cigarettes and ashtray refuse.
5. The large covered dumpster in the parking lot is for small household refuse only. Recycling should go into the designated recycling bins.
6. Renter’s children and their guests should not play on the floating walkway, dock or sea wall. For safety reasons, no children under 10 are permitted as renters or guests of renters. Renters assume responsibility for their own and their guests’ children. When you are staying on the floating guest cottage, it’s akin to being on a boat. Water is all around and you must take that into account in terms of your children’s safety.
7. All information about deposits, cleaning fees, security deposit and local taxes is on Airbnb. Marin County tax is included in the fee you pay. All transactions are through Airbnb. The security deposit is not applied toward rent; however, it is fully refundable within 48 hours of departure through Airbnb, provided the following provisions are met:
•No damage is done to the unit or its contents, beyond normal wear and tear.
•No charges are incurred due to contraband or collection of rents or services rendered during the stay.
•At time of departure, the guest cottage is left clean and orderly. All debris, rubbish and discards are placed in dumpster. Dishes and kitchen items are left clean. There is no need to strip the linens. If the guest cottage is not left clean and orderly, a reasonable charge will be deducted from the security deposit.
•No linens or towels are lost or damaged. The towels and linens are white. When using the washing machine and dryer, use only the provided (fragrance-free) laundry products, and launder all white laundry only with other white items.
•No early check-in or late checkout unless permission is explicitly granted.
•The renter is not evicted by the owner (or representative of the owner) or by local law enforcement.
The Floating Guest Cottage:
This is a NON SMOKING, NO PETS boat.
8. Arrival/Departure: Arrival time is after 3:00 PM. Departure time is before noon. Please contact the owner if you need extended hours, dependent on other bookings.
9. Floors: Because the floors are made of pine, we insist that no spike heels, golf cleats, baseball shoes, or other pointy stuff make contact with the floor. Please do not move furniture without lifting it.
10.Sewers: Like all floating homes, the sewer system operates on a sump pump, located below the deck. No fibrous material such as dental floss, cornhusks, tampons or sanitary napkins should go down the drains or toilets. If it is found that fibrous materials have been flushed and clog the holding tank, you could be charged damages of up to two hundred dollars ($200).
11. Walkways on Sides of Houseboat: For safety reasons, the walkways around the side are off limits.
12. Your Guests: The use of the floating guest house during your rental period is exclusively for the registered guests. It is fine to have small groups of friends over for visiting or for meals, however the maximum number of people, in total including children, is eight. Again, for safety reasons, no children under 10 are permitted. Children of your guests must have adult supervision at all time. Again be advised that the houseboat presents dangers for children similar to any boat, even more, because there are floats with no railings. Large, open parties with more that four guests are expressly forbidden unless discussed and cleared with the owner. All guests should be warned to wear flat shoes and in the evening they should park outside the Yellow Ferry Harbor parking lot.
13. The other Yellow Ferry Harbor residents are all nice folks. Feel free to greet them on the dock. Treat everybody with respect. Really, really loud music and wild parties are not a good idea.
14. Renters should make all reasonable efforts to conserve water. The hot water heater is an “on demand” water heater and should provide for all of your needs.
15. Renters shall not allow toxic materials including debris, oil, grease or non-biodegradable soap to spill into the bay.
16. Renters shall not deploy outdoor lighting or use flash equipment that shines into neighboring boats or directly into the bay.
MAXIMUM OCCUPANCY – The maximum number of guests is limited to four (4) persons unless written permission is given for more.
INCLUSIVE FEES – Rates include a one-time linen & towel setup. Amenity fees are included in the rental rate.
CLEANING – While linens and bath towels are included in the unit, daily maid service is not included in the rental rate. We charge only a modest cleaning fee, and expect renters to leave the guest cottage clean and orderly. There is no need to strip the linens. If the guest cottage is not left in clean and orderly condition, we will take a reasonable deduction from your security fee.
WRITTEN EXCEPTIONS – Any exceptions to the above mentioned policies must be approved in writing in advance.
FIREPLACE – The fireplace uses natural gas. Please do not throw any paper or other combustible materials in the fireplace.
WINTER STORMS AND HIGH TIDES: During the winter, when a storm coincides with the high tides, the parking lot may occasionally flood. If this is a possibility everybody moves his or her car to the right (WEST) side of the lot, or to the marina parking lot to the north. If there is potential flooding, ultimate awareness of the weather and responsibility for moving your car is up to the renter. If you happen to drive into the parking lot and all the spaces on the left (the side toward the water) are empty, this should tell you something.
If we do get one of these tides, they only last a couple of hours and the water will recede. Over the years we have gotten used to taking off our shoes and wading. Or waiting.
KAYAKS: You may use the double or single kayak during your stay. No children under 13 may use the kayaks. Life jackets are required and you are responsible for your own safety. You assume all risk. There are life jackets to use (a small/medium, a medium/large and an extra large) but if these do not fit you properly you must supply your own.
The floating guest cottage is privately owned; the owners are not responsible for any accidents, injuries or illness that occur while on the premises or its facilities. The owners are not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the renters. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all renters are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or use by others whom they invite to use the premises.
By Signing Below, I agree to all terms and conditions of this agreement
#17 Yellow Ferry Harbor RenterDate
Contact PhoneCell Phone
From May 1 - Dec 31, 2015 the minimum stay is 3 nights.
Lois was really nice and gave us all the information we needed! It was beautiful staying in this house. It is super clean and every detail is taken into account. thanks lois!
Lois was a wonderful host. Communications upfront and introduction to the unit were very welcoming and clear. The Floating Guest House looks and feels exactly as described. We stayed five days and so wished we even more time. Highly recommend this place for anyone who can appreciate and look well after it.
We enjoyed our weekend getaway on the houseboat. It was a novel experience, which was what we wanted. We were pleasantly surprised that we could use Lois' kayaks, and enjoyed paddling around the bay. Lois and Bob were very kind and gracious. Thank you for hosting us.
Absolutely wonderful host in both Bob and Lois. The boat was larger and more spacious than we expected and well equipped with the best of everything. We just could not have had a better time. Parking was close and never crowded. The kayaks were a bonus and we loved the opportunity to paddle out intro the bay. We plan to come again .
It's a cozy place and has everything you may need. Lois and Bob were very nice during our stay.
The guest cottage is darling! Lois and Bob definitely made us feel welcome and were very gracious and accomodating. The cottage itself is cozy but has everything a person may need - the kitchen has all the basics for cooking and bedrooms are comfortable. The neighborhood also is very nice - just a forty minute walk to downtown Sausalito! There are bike paths nearby and, of course, all manner of yummy places to eat.
Do be prepared though for a bit of swaying (obviously) and some creaking as the tide comes in and out. Most of the time the cottage is calm, but if you're a light sleeper you might need to adjust just a bit to the sounds.
All in all a great experience!
This was the perfect tranquil setting - yet just a ferry ride away from San Francisco. Well appointed with everything we needed. High quality linens, kitchen items, etc. I would definitely return.
About the Host, Lois
Lois recently retired from a legal career in the non-profit sector. A year ago, she and her husband Bob moved from San Francisco to their houseboat in Sausalito, which is next door to the guest cottage. Bob is a physician in Marin County. Lois is a tennis fanatic, they both love swing dancing, and Bob plays banjo in a jug band. As long time Bay Area residents, they are happy to provide suggestions. Should guests need anything, they will be happy to respond.