About this listing
Our beautiful, spacious home on 2 acres, featured in Domino magazine, is great for groups or families. Modern custom kitchen, four bedrooms. Walk to Taconic State Park, Rail Trail, local pub. Short drive to Bash Bish Falls, golf, hiking, great shopping/restaurants in Hudson, Millerton, Great Barrington, northwest CT,Berkshires.
We call our home The Oak and Olive. Our house was featured in Domino magazine in 2009, and the recent renovation was overseen by renowned local designer Chase Booth. The downstairs area has a great flow between the kitchen, dining room and living room, and the four bedrooms accomodate lots of guests comfortably. Two couches downstairs also comfortable for sleeping/crashing. Upstairs has three of the bedrooms, plus an office and tv area.
The house is surrounded by two beautiful acres. You are in the middle of a small neighborhood, but everything feels very far away.
You have the whole house and two-acre property to yourself. Kitchen is completely stocked with cooking equipment, oversized refrigerator, food processor, etc. Charcoal grill in the back.
Interaction with Guests
My wife and I will not be present during your stay, but I may pop in as necessary if you need anything. I am available via phone and email.
Copake Falls is perfectly positioned to some of the best that the Hudson Valley has to offer.
Within Copake Falls:
- We are a block from the entrance to Taconic State Park, with beautiful Bash Bish Falls, a swimming hole, and lots of hiking options.
- The Harlem Valley rail trail is also great for biking, and you can rent bikes at Bash Bish Bicycle around the corner
- There's a remarkable old museum from the Civil War era down the street, when Copake Falls was Copake Iron Works
Very near: Copake, Copake Lake, Hillsdale, South Egremont
Beyond Copake Falls:
- 20 minutes south to Millerton, voted one of the 10 coolest small towns in America by BudgetTravel magazine (website hidden) - great restaurants and a lovely movie theater
- 25 minutes to Great Barrington, the beginning of a beautiful string of towns along the Berkshire mountain range.
- Beyond Great Barrington, minutes to Lenox, Lee, Stockbridge - some of the cutest darned towns you'll ever see. Norman Rockwell grew up in Stockbridge. It shows.
- 30 minutes to Hudson - amazing town with rapidly revitalizing hipster artist community, great restaurants, bars, antique shops, and shockingly good falafel.
- In Sheffield, MA (also about 25 minutes east) our favorite restaurant is The Stagecoach Tavern. It is a beautiful old building, so charming, great food, just a wonderful atmosphere.
- Pub, bike trail, and swimming hole are within walking distance
- Everything else really needs a car
Fall Foliage guides:
Other Things to Note
We have two young kids, so the house is optimized accordingly, including
- High chair
- Gates on stairs top and bottom
- Board games
- Lots of books for kids
- Rocking chair upstairs
- Changing table pad in master bath
But the place is also great for non-kids and the young at heart :-)
- No pets please
- We are kinda "meh" on smoking, but if you must, please smoke only on the porch, and try to close the front door so the smoke doesn't draft back into the house (learned this the hard way)
- Remember, the house was built in 1865. It has the modern amenities you need, but its bones are old, so please treat it with respect and care.