3bedroom/2bath historic shingle house with antiques. Built in 1928 above scenic Silverado Trail, the historic home offers privacy above Napa River in oak woodlands. 0.9 mile walk/bike down a vinyard-lined road to historic St. Helena.
We named the house "Preservation House" because our focus has been to restore rather than modernize or remodel, both inside and out. Except for upgrades important for safety, like electrical service, kitchen ventilation, and fire protection, keeping the house's historic and authentic features is our goal. The house is 1,400 square feet and centers around an open livingroom-diningroom space with historic knotty pine walls and ceilings, in the tradition of a 1928 lodge. A large hearth with a woodburning stove adds to the cozy, intimate feeling of the livingroom, and both rooms are furnished with a mix of comfortable contemporary seating and period antiques and artwork. The woodburning stove is NOT operable because of fire restrictions in Napa Valley. We have cable internet, Roku-box viewing but not cable tv. WiFi is also provided.The kitchen has a large refrigerator and historic gas stove that works beautifully (no microwave). A covered porch off the kitchen is a great place to enjoy your morning coffee (i.e. Peet's coffee provided) and as a place to unwind in the evening. In the vernacular Italian building tradition, the house's downstairs bathroom is accessible through the covered outdoor porch rather than through an interior entrance; it's a utilitarian, full bathroom. According to a historian of vernacular architecture, Arne Alanen, Prof. Emeritus, U. of Wisc., many Italians thought it was unsanitary for a bathroom to open into the first story kitchen and living spaces directly. Both the upstairs bathroom and downstairs bathroom have a shower and the upstairs bathroom also has a tub. As throughout the house, the bathrooms feature authentic historic elements rather than remodelled features.
The house has three bedrooms with large operable windows, some with screens. There are box fans in each bedroom but no air conditioning. One bedroom has a king-sized, another has a queen-size, and the third bedroom has two twin-size beds. Upstairs there are softwood floors and an exterior entrance from the upstairs landing to the oak woodlands behind the house. Although we try to abate poison oak on the property, it is a native plant. Please be cautious of poison oak on the property.
It would be hard to find a property in Napa Valley more centrally located to the very best wineries, historic downtowns (i.e. St. Helena & Calistoga), or more bike-accessible than this property. Silverado Trail is the backbone connecting the finest wineries in the Valley and has continuous bike lanes. The house has the privacy of oak woodlands and vinyards, the Napa River Wildlife Refuge and historic Pratt Ave. Bridge while still being a quick walk, bike, or drive into historic downtown St. Helena - (website hidden)
There are great bike rental options in St. Helena.
Interaction with guests
We want to give our guests the privacy to enjoy eachother. We will be onsite to meet you if at all possible and if not will make clear plans with you to make sure you have the key and other necessities. We also will be onsite for landscaping work including watering and for other chores.
Other things to note
Downstairs stays cool if you leave the doors and windows closed in the summer. Upstairs box fans will help to cool the bedrooms, especially after sunset.
1. NO SMOKING (outside PLEASE do not dispose of any cigarette butts outside as the area has high wildfire danger)
2. Totally housebroken dogs are welcome! However, dogs cannot be left at the house when you are not there. You must take them with you. Also, dogs that are not housebroken or who chew on furnishings are not welcome.
3. Well behaved and closely supervised children are very welcome. The house does have many antiques and breakable items. The property has poison oak and Silverado Trail itself poses a hazard for unsupervised children. We are parents and love kids but this is not a great place for young kids without close supervision.
4. Show extra caution as you exit the driveway onto Silverado Trail or turn on or off of the historic Pratt Ave. bridge. The curve in the road requires extra caution.
5. The varnished woodwork, historic rugs, and other antiques are unique. We are grateful for your care.
6. Please use the provided coasters for your drinks (of course, wine glasses, other glasses, and mugs are provided).
7. Please leave the house locked up with two lights left on, per instructions that you will find at the house.