About this listing
Beautiful apartment, brand new, right in the center of lively and multicultural Lavapiés, initially a place Off the beaten track, but more and more popular everyday. Please read the info re check in times (House Rules) before booking.
And here we are with a new flat, our third one and the second one in the lively neighbourhood of Lavapiés. The apartment is newly refurbished (May 2013), modern, charming, well equipped and super central apartment in a semi pedestrian street of the lively, interracial and multicultural neighbourhood of Lavapiés, where Vanessa has been living for almost 2 years now and where you can find Spanish elderly people that has been living here since they were born, people in their late twenties to late thirties attracted by the bohemian and arty air of this neighbourhood and immigrants from Asia, Africa and, to a minor extent, Latin American. This is the perfect place if you are looking for a place right in the centre, walking distance to all the sights in Madrid and were you can feel like home when coming back every night, since the apartment is warm and cozy. The museums, entertainment and parks... everything is so closeby that you will rarely be using the public transportation in Madrid.
THE APARTMENT - AMENITIES
The apartment is located in the first floor of a walk up building (so no elevator, like most buildings in central Madrid, but it's just one flight of stairs and we are always willing to help you carrying your luggage upstairs). The apartment and all the furniture and amenities are brand new.
* 1 Bedroom with a double bed (king size), small balcony and a closet.
* 1 Sofa bed in the living room that can be turned into a super comfy double bed for 2 additional people.
* Kitchen fully equipped with anything you need to cook and eat, including the stove, microwave with grill, refrigerator, washing machine, kettle and toaster. There is no drier but there is a clothes horse that you can use.
* A living room with dining table for 4, sofa, radio and (only from the beginning of July) TV.
* A bathroom with a big shower, incredibly nice and comfortable.
* Wi-Fi is also available during your stay, how not ;)
* And we can happily announce that we got the aircon installed:)
Of couse, fresh linen is provided, as well as iron, hairdryer, etc. If you think there is something missing, we'll be happy to have your feedback in order to continue improving the apartment.
This is one of the oldest neighbourhoods in town, dated back more than 500 years old. Literally, Lavapiés means "wash feet" and it seems to refer to the ritual washing of one's feet before entering the temple, possibly in the fountain of Plaza Lavapiés, which no longer exists. Actually, Lavapiés was the Jewish quarter of the city until the expulsion of the Jews from Spain in 1492, and the current church of San Lorenzo was built on the former site of the synagogue. It is a vibrant and lively neighbourhood, with lots of bars and restaurants around, where you can find anything from tapas bar to the tons of Indian restaurants down calle Lavapiés and calle Ave María. Lavapiés is the multicultural neighbourhood of Madrid and a true mixture of cultures. In Lavapiés you'll find foreigners but also young arty people and old people that was born in the neighbourhood and is still there.
In Lavapiés you can find anything you need for your stay. A big supermarket just a couple of meters away from the apartment, the metro just accross the square, a municipal market also very close and all kinds of Spanish, Asian and African restaurants. Bars with terraces to chill out and some music bars if you want to hear some live music. Not to mention the Rastro. It's a great place to be! And since we know it so well and deeply, we'll make sure you make the most of your stay here.
The location of the apartment is perfect to visit Madrid without even having to use our good public transport network. Actually, within 15 minutes walking you can reach the main museums in town (Prado, Reina Sofia and Thyssen Bornemisza), the Retiro Park, Gran Via and its neoclassic architecture, the Rastro and La Latina, etc. But in any case, the nearest metro stop (Lavapiés) is within 1 minute walking from home.
For sure, you won't have problems to move around from here.
You can check availability 100% accurately by clicking on the calendar link above.
Bookings are only accepted through the Airbnb website; feel free to contact us with any questions. You'll get the exact address, directions to get to the apartment and tips for Madrid once you've made your reservation!!
• Check in time is set at 4pm and means the time at which the apartment will be ready for your use, at the latest. However, if you arrive earlier to town we can meet you from 11am at the apartment (free of charge, is just a courtesy to our guests) to drop luggage and get the keys, so that you can start exploring Madrid right away. Between 2pm and 4pm we might not be available to meet you, since we go back home to cook and eat, but should you arrive on this gap, we can recommend you some nice place to have your first meal in Madrid.
• We can also meet guests at night, but in that case we charge a late check in fee of 15 euro from 9 pm until midnight and 25 euro after midnight. If you plan to arrive after 1:30 am we won't be able to meet you (obviously if your flight is delayed we'll wait for you!!), but if you have a really late flight we can't wait up so long....
• Unless you have agreed otherwise with us, check out must be before 11am. Can you leave the keys in the entry and close the door.
• Please do not leave trash in the apartment. Garbage shall be disposed of in the gray bins that you will find next to building door every day from 8pm, so remember to take out the trash the night before! We'll really appreciate that!
• Please do not leave dirty dishes and try to leave the apartment as you found it.
• If something breaks during your stay , do not wait for us to discover that once you're gone. We understand that accidents can happen, but we do not like such surprises.
• Elderly people, children and working people all live in the building; please be considerate. No parties or noise allowed from 22h or at any time of the day in public areas of the building (hall and stairs) . When you are on the stairs we request you to speak in a low tone please, as if it would be your own building. Any complaints from neighbors will be immediately notified to you and to Airbnb and you'll be requested to leave the apartment.
• We like the fresh air, so you can not smoke in the apartment.
• Only people who have booked can sleep in the apartment. Visitors shall also be notified.
• According to the Spanish legislation, we are obliged to inform the police of the identity of all the people staying at the apartment; therefore, at your arrival we'll need to see your passport. Not that we are very enthusiastic of the idea, but rules are rules....
Vanessa was super nice! I was very glad to talk to her. The suggestions and the little map they provided were very sweet and useful. Location was close to everywhere. Comfortable beds and clean overall. The best host ever! I would definitely come back again. Thank you Vanessa and Oscar.
This place was easy to find and in a convenient location. The space was very comfortable and we enjoyed the bed, air conditioning, hot shower and fully stocked kitchen. We enjoyed staying here and would be happy to return again.
Thank you Oscar, Vanessa & Elena.
The flat was lovely, just like the photos with a great bathroom, kitchen/living and bedroom, in good condition. Very helpful hosts who met us at the flat and settled us straight in.
The location was perfect for us to explore on foot the city centre, very quick walk to Retiro Park, The Prado and Atocha Station. I would highly recommend and hope to visit again in the future.
Matt and Jake
Vanessa offered us a wonderful apartment in Lavapiès. The apartment was very clean. It's just a two minutes walk to the next metro station and the grocery store Carrefour. From there we were able to walk to all the sites of Madrid. It's a wonderful city. The neighborhood is very lively and there are a lot of restaurants in the near but you don't hear any noises in the apartment. We would definitely recommend and want thank Vanessa again for offering us her nice apartment.
Our stay in Madrid was one of the best airbnb experiences we have had. Elena was there to meet us at the apartment after we were 30 minutes late and this was no issue to her. The apartment is located in what appeared to be a very local part of Madrid and we didn't see many tourists. This made the stay even better and we didn't feel unsafe at any stage. The room itself was very nice and spacious, especially the bathroom. The aircon was very handy for the heat wave we got while we were there. Overall the stay was very good and would recommend it to anyone visiting Madrid!
We had a brilliant time staying in Lavapíes in Oscar and Vanessa's apartment. It was sylish and spacious and only one stop away from Puerta Del Sol (centre of Madrid).
We would absolutely recommend this place to our friends.
Thank you very much!
We felt welcomed. The place was very clean and comfortable. Shower was very nice. Reading lights are not bright enough but other than that an excellent place to stay. The area Lavapias was great. Ethnically diverse and interesting. Felt safe. Lots of night life and activity. Quiet at night with balcony doors closed. If we wanted to hear the street's going ons we would keep the doors open. We totally enjoyed staying here. Great coffee up the block. Would absolutely stay there again.
This host has 990 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Oscar&Vanessa&Elena
We welcome you to Spain and we wish you a good stay in Madrid!
Oscar works as a photographer and Vanessa studies drama and theatre production and management. However, until some years ago Oscar was an engineer and Vanessa was a M&A lawyer. And then one day we decided to turn our lifes up side down and follow our real passions.
We are best friends and on May 2012 we decided to move forward and enroll in a small business together. Vanessa had been hosting with Airbnb for 2 years by then (renting the spare room at her place in Madrid/Milan and her apartment in Barcelona) and her experience (upgraded to Superhost in early 2011) was so positive that we decided we could also help other owners that don't live in town or don't have the time to rent their properties to travelers as you. And this is what we are doing now together.
More about us, we love to travel: in 2012 Vanessa traveled to Greece with her backpack and Oscar spent a few months working in France. Last summer Oscar repeated the French experience while Vanessa explored Malaysia during a month and a half.
We are also keen in meeting new people and learning new things from them, but more importantly, we want you to feel at home at any of our apartments and that you feel that there's someone in town who cares for you:-)
We enjoy little life pleasures like riding our bicycles or growing our small organic vegetables gardens (each of us has one). We like eco-friendly environments since we care a lot about our planet.
We will help you to find you like home in this beautiful city and we look forward to having the opportunity to meet you soon!!
Vanessa & Oscar