About this listing
An English basement like no other...this one has a to-die-for kitchen and a cavernous walk-in closet that others would consider a separate bedroom. The apartment's one bedroom has a queen-sized bed plus a home office nook with a large antique oak desk and chair. We recently added a daybed (twin-sized) that has a pop-up trundle (also twin-sized) in the bedroom. The daybed and trundle are not shown in the photos. The living room has a Jennifer sofa that converts to a full-sized (double) bed that sleeps two extra people. The pop-up trundle can be difficult to access since we must move the large desk to make room for it. So we also offer an airbed for the sixth person if the guest would prefer that. We have a pack 'n play available for families who need one.
Includes bed linens, bath towels, and a fully-equipped kitchen, down to the coffee pot, crock pot and George Foreman grill (plus gas and charcoal grills and an electric smoker are available for your use outside.) WIFI is strong and the flatscreen TV provides cable and DVD viewing. Cleaning supplies and hand soap are provided, but please bring whatever toiletries you want to use in the shower or bathtub.
The laundry room with Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer is shared with those of us living in our home above the apartment, and we must access it through the short center hallway of the apartment. So that the apartment guests are not disturbed too early in the morning or late in the evening, we limit laundry room hours for the occupants of the main house (normally 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., but we can shift those hours if need be.)
Options available for an additional fee:
1. Parking. Parking on the street is relatively easy, but for those without resident parking permits (which we buy when we register our cars in DC every year), weekday parking is limited to two hours. We can obtain a permit for your car for $15/day. Without the permit, you are at risk of receiving a parking ticket after two hours on weekdays; Washington's parking enforcement officers are very efficient!
2. Grocery shopping. Let us know what you would like to buy, and we will have it waiting for you upon your arrival for the cost of the groceries plus a shopping/delivery fee of $25.
3. Pet care/dog walking. While we do allow pets in the apartment, dogs are not allowed to be left unattended. But we do offer dog daycare for $5 per hour with a 4-hour minimum. If you have two dogs, the second is at half-rate (so $7.50 per hour for two dogs.)
Entire apartment, use of Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer in shared laundry room, patio, yard, and deck. Please note that those of us living in the main house above the apartment must access the laundry room through the short center hall of the apartment. We limit hours of access so that our apartment guests are not disturbed too early in the morning or late in the evening.
Interaction with guests
We live right above the apartment, so it is very easy to let us know if you need anything. In nice weather, we often spend evenings on our deck, where you may find us with friends and neighbors, and our guests are always welcome to join us there (and to use it even if we aren't there.)
Other things to note
* Please note that "instant booking" is activated for this listing, so you do not need to ask us if the apartment is available on any specific dates. If you want to rent it, just go ahead and book it using the "instant book" link, and you will be immediately confirmed. Our calendar is always up to date. We do not "pre-approve" guests because then the calendar is blocked on those dates and then no one else can book it. We prefer to rent to the first person who is ready to confirm a booking, and that is best done with the "instant book" link.
* We do provide breakfast cereals, milk, and orange juice, and we provide coffee and tea, but you have to brew it yourself.
* Notice for those with severe allergies to pets: On rare occasions, we have guests who bring their pets along on their travels. While we do work hard to clean the apartment in between guests, those who are extremely allergic to cats or dogs may want to contact us before booking to discuss whether a pet has been in the apartment recently. We do have a cat in our home above the apartment, and the air conditioning ductwork is connected between the apartment and the main floor of our home.
* Please observe quiet hours after 10:30 p.m. in consideration of those of us living above the apartment.
* No smoking on the property, including the deck, patio, and yard. This means that even if it's raining, you are not allowed to just step outside the door to smoke. Please do not discard cigarette butts on the sidewalk or lawn of our home or our neighbors or on the street.
* Check-in time is between 3:00 p.m. and 10:00 PM, check-out by 11:00 a.m. It is important that you let us know, in advance, of your estimated arrival time so that one of us will be at home then. We do work outside our home, but do our best to be available to meet you, give you the key, and show you around at whatever time (from 3 PM to 10 PM) you expect to arrive. When you arrive, just come to the front door of our house and we'll take you downstairs to the apartment, which is the lower level of our house.
* No parties.
* Please note that you will be responsible for any damages and losses to our home and property that are caused by acts or omissions of yourself and your invitees. You will be required to pay me for any such losses. (Airbnb requires hosts to give guests this notice to guests in order for the host to be protected by the Airbnb Host Guarantee.)
Cancel up to 7 days before your trip and get a 50% refund plus service fees back.
This host has 350 reviews for other properties.View other reviews
I am a somewhat gregarious middle-aged PhD/JD Nebraska native, mother of a teenager, working at home after many years in the House of Representatives, the Senate, the Clinton Administration, and running a nonprofit organization. Reid, my Canadian husband, and I enjoy sharing our home with people from all over the world.