About This Listing
Large private room w/ closet, safe, TV, full-size bed, and couch. ** SHARED BATH/SHOWER in apartment. Walking distance to EVERYTHING. Modernized shared-kitchen/living area. Main lobby attendant. WiFi (6Mbps), Bar, PS4, wall-mounted TV.
Walking distance to EVERYTHING downtown. Extremely modernized shared-kitchen/living area. Main lobby attendant. Memory foam mattress topper. Living Room includes Wireless Internet (2Mbps), Guest Computer, Bar, PS3, PS4, WiiU, wall-mounted TV w/Netflix, jacuzzi shower. Very modernized.
The condo is a 3BR/2BA. I live in one room, and occasionally have a guest in the middle (shared) room and/or the first (private bath).
** ROOM DOES NOT HAVE A PRIVATE BATH. THERE IS A COMMON ONE IN THE APARTMENT.
There is a TV (no cable) with Wii, and a small closet and safe. The room is pretty large, very nice and has a sofa as well.
Bed is a full size with a tempurpedic-grade 4" mattress topper brought from the US.
Room is not facing the street so traffic noise is minimal (though we are downtown, so anywhere you stay will have SOME traffic noise).
If you are visiting San Jose for business or pleasure, there is no better deal than this.
* FULLY furnished downtown condo.
* High-Speed (6Mbs) Wireless Internet (plus secure VPN connection through Miami so you can watch Netflix outside of the United States)
* Playstation 3, 4 and Wii U with games
* Bedroom has 4" REAL memory foam topper.
* Shared bathroom has unlimited passive hot water heater.
* Large living room area with mounted plasma TV and stereo system
* FULL kitchen with dishwasher, stove, microwave, and fridge. Stainless steel.
* There is a large open space on top of the building for viewing the city and just chilling out.
* 24 hour lobby person.
* $20 can be paid separately if you would like a FULL private breakfast and maid service on any given morning (otherwise, maid service and breakfast is NOT provided).
Usually I work from the bedroom during the day, and go out in the evening. There are some occasions where I may be out of the country, however there is a house manager for the days I'm not here.
Bario Amon is mostly the "art district" in the daytime and the "party district" in the night time. A LOT of the historic downtown stuff is located within 5 minutes of walking and within 60 seconds in a taxi.
You are within 3 blocks of a major bank, grocery store, exit highway, and a LOT of bars/restaurants.
About 3 blocks up you have access to nearly ALL local bus stops. The Coca Cola bus station (trips out of San Jose to the rest of Costa Rica) is a $3/5min taxi ride from the condo. In other words, this is an EXTREMELY convenient location.
NOISE - We are downtown. Your room is NOT facing the street and is isolated a bit, however if the AC is off, you may hear some traffic. My room overlooks the street so I keep my fans on, but in your case, if you keep the AC fan running, you should be fine. In 6 years I have never heard a guest complain. The walls here are pretty thick.
NIGHT TIME - In any city, the downtown areas can be a little unnerving at night. San Jose is no different. Just be aware of your surroundings, take the red taxis, and you should be fine.
PHONE - If you have a Verizon iPhone 5/5s/6 you will be fine. AT&T phones work here also but you need to have them unlocked.
- I charge the $5 daily guest fee usually only because of the added water/electric.
- Anyone you meet in Costa Rica AFTER YOU CHECK IN should NOT be in the common area or the kitchen unless they are in your presence. In other words, if you fall in love at 11pm and bring a guest over, then fine, but go straight to your room and not the living room where hands like to wander around and often grab stuff. If you check in with a travelling guest, then there is no issue.
- I have a full bar, nice entertainment area, and balcony. So it's normal to maybe have a late night drink, or watch a movie. But between 11pm and 8am, please keep the noise in the living room to a minimum.
- As far as the bar, if you drink it, just replace it. If you expect to stay a few nights, most people just grab whatever they want from the grocery store (which we can do for you before you arrive if you want).
- ALL GUESTS should wear, at minimum, shirts and shorts when in the living room and kitchen. I hate saying this, but people laying on my couch in their boxers and no shirt makes me want to gag. No thanks.
- CLEAN UP - If you are in the kitchen and make a mess, just clean up like you would at your own house please. This is a FULL kitchen with double counters, dishes, nice sets of dishes and cookware. Etc. A few dishes overnight is one thing, but leaving stuff out for 24 hours is a no-no.
Scott and Jennifer are awesome people. The apartment was right in the city and surrounded by many shops, museums and restaurants. The wifi at the house is fast and reliable. Scott was very informative about Costs Rica. The apartment is located close to the SJO airport and a great destination to start or end your Costa Rica adventure.
I stayed at Scott for 3 days and I really enjoyed my experience. The location is absolutely perfect (accessible, has all the shops you might need around, the nicest beer-pub is 500m away), the flat has everything you need and the bed is incredibly comfy.
Scott has been a great host, really chill, cool to talk to and willing to help.
I had a great stay at Scott's place. It was a last minute booking, but he responded quickly. The place was clean and very quiet. I was super close to everything, so getting around was a breeze. Wifi was great; Mario kart, on the Wii was fun. I will definitely be staying there again, and totally recommend his place.
The perfect apartment, the perfect host. It made me come back for a second - too short - stay for a night before leaving Costa Rica. Again really nicely being brought to the airport by Sugey. I would highly recommend it!!
Perfect location.... The apartment has everything what u do need and it's very clean!!! It's good located and downtown is very close! I can thoroughly recommend this place!!!!
From the moment I landed in San José everything was sorted by Scott and he helped me wherever possible; I was being picked up from the airport by Sugey (a wonderful lady who helps Scott managing the property when he is in the US), he showed me around San José and even went with me to show me where the bus station was to continue my journey.
Scott is the perfect 'chilled out' host, who owns a clean and completely modernised apartment located in downtown San José: consisting of a perfect working air conditioning, all the high-end electronics you can think of (incl high speed wifi) and a proper shower. Simply everything you need!
This host has 8 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Scott
I'm just under 40, have been living in Costa Rica for 6 years, and have made this my home. I usually welcome guests who like to come down for between 1 and 10 days to either experience tours throughout the country, or stay downtown and experience the nightlife here. I have a LOT of friends here now, so whatever you are into, chances are I can probably help you get around and/or guide you in the right direction.
I'm pretty laid back, work on the computer most days, and wind up out with friends during the evenings to either bars, clubs, or dinners. I'm EXTREMELY social later in the day after I get my work done, and I LOVE to cook when I have time.
Sometimes, I am back in the US for a while, so the place will be empty, so you MAY OR MAY NOT see me on your trip depending on when you arrive, however I have a lady who manages everything for me when I'm gone and she can come over and cook/clean (for a fee that you pay to her) any day you need (otherwise, breakfast and maid service is not included).
You can play any music in the house except country music :)