We have a peaceful guest bedroom in the basement of our lovely home, which is an older house located in central Rapid City, SD--close to almost everything. Guests have own bathroom, laundry, free parking, and kitchen at their disposal.
Our sweet home is the most convenient location to see the Black Hills while still being in Rapid City. You can walk across the street and be right at Starbucks, a local public park with tennis courts, a bus stop, a grocery, Quiznos, a chinese restaurant, Walgreens, and our beloved local Chocolate shop-- all within two blocks! We are a quick 3 minute drive (15-20 min walk) from historic downtown where all the local shops are. And in less than 30 minutes you can access either the southern or northern Black Hills including: Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park, Sturgis, hiking trails etc.
The room itself features a queen size bed (suitcases could easily slide under), two windows for multi-directional lighting, a full closet, a table, and comfy loveseat, with a brand new tile floor.
You have the brand new remodeled bathroom next door all to yourselves (with toiletries), and can also use the living room in the basement for your comfort as well (feel free to use the piano or 47" SmartTV). There is also a laundry room across the hall with a washer, dryer, iron, and chest freezer that guests are free to use! We have a kitchen area upstairs that is also available to use if guests wish to do their own cooking, store food in the fridge, make tea/coffee, etc.
We have also generally finished an outdoor patio available for your use, complete with firepit and other features (please ask if you want to start a fire).
There is free parking right outside the house along the curb, and an external side door with easy access to the bedroom.
We have two lovely large pups that are friendly and well-trained; they are allowed everywhere but the carpeted library. They sleep across the hall from you in the laundry room, but they will sleep as long as we do. They have loved-on scores of guests but will still insist on barking at you upon arrival. Please don't be too alarmed! They won't jump, though, and will be doe-eying you in no time.
You are welcome to join us for hot breakfast upstairs if you're around when we are; we usually wake around 7:30-8:00am and eat a half hour later or so. On days where we're gone or busy, help yourself to whatever is in the kitchen (bagels/toast etc. is almost always in cabinets).
We're both regularly in and out of the house; our work schedules differ depending on the week and season. We have a spare house key if you're staying more than one night that you can use for access.
Feel free to enjoy our family room downstairs, the laundry room, and the kitchen upstairs.
Interaction with Guests
One or the other of us is almost always available to answer questions you may have about the Black Hills or help you get comfortable in our home. We are open, low-key people and would love to get to know you. But we respect the need for private rest-space too, especially when traveling.
Our neighborhood is centrally located, has a peaceful park only a block away, and is quite safe. Our home is partly on a hill and has a view to the south from our kitchen.
Rapid Ride has stops around town or call Rapid Taxi. The airport offers shuttle services for $22 one-way trip.
- All arrival times are just fine, however, please let us know the day before what your estimated arrival time is so we can get all in order for you.
- Keep 11pm-7am quiet enough for everyone to sleep.
- You can welcome yourself to the basement living area, but our (black) dogs are not allowed on the (white) carpet.
- Downstairs TV is a Smart TV with Netflix and Amazon Prime; we do not have cable. Speakers are external and must be turned on for TV use. Please, no TV after 11pm.
- You can use the kitchen as you please, keeping in mind a couple things: (a) avoid using metal tools for the ceramic non-stick pan, (c) please clean up after you're done.
- If you want ventilation in the bedroom, please open only the large window that is bedside. There is a fan for your use in the bedroom as well (usually stored in closet). We open windows at night during the summer and keep them closed and blinds closed during the day to keep it cool. Please remember to shut your window in the mornings! (otherwise it can heat up the whole house on a hot day)
- In the winter, there are extra blankets in one of the closets. If there are none there, please ask.
- We generally take off our shoes (store them in the lobby downstairs or in your bedroom), but we're mainly just concerned about mud on rainy days.
- We do allow pets (not on furniture please!) and can provide a kennel if needed. We charge for pets as an 'extra person' ($15). Our dogs generally get along with other dogs but no unruly or aggressive pups please!
Great location and everything was very clean and easily accessible! Had a great time, only wish we could have stayed longer! Oh, and the bed is super comfy too!!
Most comfortable bed/pillows I've encountered during an airbnb stay. Room & bathroom were well outfitted. I appreciated having access to a fan b/c I need that white noise. Doggies were big sweethearts. Good location - 20 minute walk downtown. They were tackling some home improvements while I was there, but it didn't affect me hardly at all.
We appreciated Jamin getting back to us do quickly with a place to stay after our car broke down and we were stranded in Rapid City. The room was comfortable for a one night stay and Jamin was kind enough to offer us tea and cookies when we got in.
Jamin and Jess were very communicative and the home was very cozy! When we arrived they were making a gingerbread house so the house smelled of sweet baking! What a nice surprise.
Jamin even made us breakfast in the morning and we all had a really nice conversation before we left to continue on our wintery road trip. Thanks for being such hospitable hosts!
Got in late and left early as I was road tripping. Didn't meet either Jamin or Jessica but getting in was easy. All I wanted was some sleep and their bed was the softest and most comfortable I've had on an airbnb stay yet. Plus they had a fan, which was awesome since I can't sleep without that white noise. Great stay.
The room and area were great! Jamin was very sweet and helpful. Great location, near downtown and close to all attractions!
The room was clean and just as advertised. The home is in a clean, safe neighborhood. Jamin and Jessica were very nice, and Jamin even made us breakfast one morning, which was a delicious surprise. Their two pet dogs are well behaved and very sweet. Recommended.
This host has 2 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
We are a young married couple who enjoy serving guests in our home. Jamin is a college professor and Jessica a counselor. We both live like hobbits, enjoying peace, tea, books, deep conversation, and plant and animal life. We both love the Black Hills and hope you enjoy your stay!