About this listing
Enjoy a rich breakfast with mostly local organic specialities and undertake a short walk after - with a spectacular view over Eiger, Mönch & Jungfrau. These are the three famous mountains in the Bernese Alps, maybe you visit them during your stay.
For single and double traveling persons we offer a huge room. There you find a regular double bed (mattress on wooden rack, measurements 200 cm / 78.74 inches x 160 cm / 62.99 inches).
The flat is situated perfect for touristic matters. Just 5 minutes by foot from Zentrum Paul Klee ZPK, the bear park, the rose garden with its beautiful sight and of course the UNESCO world heritage, the old town. A motorway connection is 350 feet away (Bern-Ostring). The train main station is a good 10 minutes bus ride away and the station is just a minute outside of our door.
We live in a house originating from the early 20th century. The 3.5 room flat in the ground floor is quite cosy. Highlights are the lovely garden space with direct access from the living room and - as you already know - the location.
You have a private room and we provide a rich brunch. As well as fast wireless internet and you can find some needful brochures about Bern or you also can find information in our online guidebook. Towels for the bath room and bed things are included.
The bath room, kitchen and living room you share with us. And if you have some special needs, we're sure to find a solution. This means using the washing machine (if the schedule allows) or similar things. We really tend to treat you as royals ;-)
Interaction with Guests
We would be happy to show you around or tell you a bit of local chit chat. We're happy to recommend places to go.
In any case, we love living in Bern. We enjoy our sight from the table and our way to work trough the old town. That's why we're motivated to host you and post this ad.
The neighborhood offers a very quiet atmosphere with a locally typical «fin de siècle» mood. It's green and has access to many beautiful walks in even greener environment.
It's situated quite well to explore Bern. Touristic hot spots like «Zentrum Paul Klee», «Rosengarten» or «Bärenpark» are within short walking distance. So is the old town and the river.
Our quarter offers a baker's shop, a small supermarket, a gas station with a little shop open a bit longer at night and two restaurants. On the one side the «Brasserie Obstberg» with decent traditional food on the upper middle price scale. And on the other side the restaurant at the museum «Zentrum Paul Klee», the «Schöngrün». This is one of the best if not the best one in town. It's blessed with stars, points and hats and it's in consequence quite costly. But delicious.
In the old town you'll find loads of bars, clubs and restaurants of different styles. Check the guidebook for our hints.
Nearby there is a bus taking you downtown (good 10 minutes) or to the «Zentrum Paul Klee» (2 stations). This is bus # 12.
Another bus, although not so frequent, is the # 40. It's a peripheric line and brings you to the S-train-stadion «Wankdorf». By passing the stadium «Stade de Suisse», known for concerts or sports events, mainly football.
Public transport is free to use for you! We provide a ticket for you during your stay, so you don't need to pay at all.
Other Things to Note
SWIMMING IN THE RIVER «AARE»:
* * * Be advised this can be dangerous - even for experienced and good swimmers! * * *
Enjoy the river, especially when you see half of the locals inside. It's great fun and a singular thing to experience. But consider some safety points:
- Don't swim AFTER «Marzili public swimming pool» underneath the parliament builiding and before «Altenberg» (after the sharp left turn under «Nydegg Bridge» / «Bärenpark»).
- Listen to your body: When you start feeling tired, don't try to be tough and stay inside. Don't panic, look calm for an exit and get out. A sudden lack of power is often reason for accidents.
- When you feel a bit scared or unsafe, ask locals to stay around you inside the water - they might help you with things like getting out and other stuff.
- Only enter the river in good shape (considering food, hang over, muscular strain and similar things).
- Obey rules and signs. E.g. if the water is brown and quite high (and nobody else is inside) don't go inside. There might be wooden parts from storms in the mountains swimming in the river (which can be a great danger).
- As we said, swimming in the «Aare» is unique, even in Switzerland. Enjoy it - but be aware that it's still a river and that it has it's own rules.
- No smoking inside (we have a garden), basically we'd like to avoid heavy smokers.
- Bathroom, kitchen & living room can be used of course, but be aware that we're (Franziska & Beni) also around to use these things.
- We have 2 cats, 2 male tigers called «Franz (Ferdinand Alexander II.)» & «Ruedi». They usually stay outside. But it's their home too.
- We're not a party location. We never had any problems though and we have nothing about having a good time. But we're sometimes working and there are neighbors too.