About this listing
Use our lower level exclusively, including 900 square ft, a private entrance, queen bed, family room, kitchenette, full bathroom, 260 cable channels, 50 Mbps WiFi, garden patio, evergreen forest views. Set any temperature. By car: 1 min to I-5, 4 min to UO, under 12 min to most Eugene attractions, including UO sports/music venues, river/ridgeline hiking trails, downtown shops/restaurants, a regional medical center, and 2 malls. By foot: 2 min to forest trails, 5 min to a park with a playground.
Our 3,000 square foot house, built in 2006, has a 900 square foot guest suite on the lower level, reserved exclusively for your own use. Outside your private entrance, enjoy patio furniture overlooking a nicely landscaped cul-de-sac and a quaint, quiet valley within Eugene that's surrounded by evergreen forest trees that blanket lovely hills.
The Layout and What's Private
Our guest suite includes a fully private bedroom and bathroom, and you also get a family room and kitchenette that are visually separated from the upper level by an open stairwell that bends midway, with full privacy limited to the bedroom and bathroom. Altogether, you get about 900 square feet for your exclusive use, so nobody else will use the lower level of our house during your visit. You'll also have your own private entrance from the cul-de-sac side of our corner lot. We live and work on the upper level, the main floor of our house, and we have our own front door that's separate from your entryway. Your guest suite excludes a second bedroom on the lower level that we reserve for our daughter, who works in Silicon Valley (she only visits when we don't have Airbnb guests).
Smoke and Vapor-Free Indoors and Outdoors
For details, please see the House Rules section below.
• A quiet respite tucked inside southeast Eugene, within a charming little valley surrounded by tall evergreen trees
• Drive to UO in 4 or 8 minutes, either through major roads (the short way) or through a majestic forest (the long way)
The bedroom includes a queen-sized firm bed. We also have a twin-sized, firm-foam mattress that's quite comfortable; you may place this portable mattress anywhere on the thick-padded carpeting, either in the bedroom or the family room. You may also use the couch in the family room as another sleep option, which has back-side cushions that are easy to remove (this makes the sleeping surface nearly as wide as a twin bed).
Other Guest Suite Details
• Spacious 9-foot ceilings throughout the guest suite
• 6 sunny windows, including 3 that span the floor-to-ceiling (a caveat: 7 months of the year the windows aren't so sunny :)
• The bedroom includes a large dresser, a night stand, a desk, a swivel chair, and a walk-in closet
• The kitchenette includes a stove top with 2 burners, a microwave, a toaster oven, a dishwasher, a 3-foot tall refrigerator with mini-freezer, plus dishes, silverware, pots, pans and a Keurig coffee maker
• Both ground and instant coffee, a variety of teas, and some snacks
• A bathroom tiled in travertine, with double sinks, wall sconces, towels, and common amenities, such as a hair dryer
• A family room with a DVD player and a 52” HDTV with hundreds of cable channels for free, including HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, CNN, PBS, Disney, Nickelodeon, ESPN, and many On Demand movies, documentaries, and other shows.
• Super-fast 50 mbps WiFi access
• An exercise bicycle and many nearby hiking trails
• You may set whatever temperature you want since each level of our house has separate climate control settings
• Free washer and dryer available upstairs
• Free, plentiful, and convenient street parking
• Message Amy and Mark, your friendly hosts, if you have any questions
Interaction with guests
We're usually available to provide information about Eugene or anything else you need, or to just have a friendly conversation. We fully respect your privacy, so we spend as much or as little time with our guests as they prefer, at least as our own time allows (we work long hours on our main business, which we quietly operate from the upper level of our house).
We're in the middle of East Ridge Village, a quiet and beautifully landscaped residential neighborhood in the upper end of Eugene's Laurel Hill Valley, with custom houses built in 2005 or later (our house was built in 2006). We're within the city limits (near the edge), so we have all urban amenities, yet our secluded little valley remains hidden from the rest of Eugene. We have two city parks within a couple of short blocks from our house, one that's landscaped with grass and trees, and the other remains natural open space filled with hiking trails. A forest filled with tall Douglas Fir trees surrounds our quaint valley, so it feels very cozy. The interstate highway is only a half mile away for quick access to everything Eugene and Oregon, yet the forested hill that separates Laurel Hill Valley from the university and the rest of Eugene helps our neighborhood remain quiet and peaceful.
The Surrounding Area
A 5-minute drive to the 12,000-seat Matt Knight Arena and performance venue, the 10,000-seat Hayward track stadium, the UO Natural History Museum, the Schnitzer Art Museum, and the 12-acre Rhododendrun Garden of Hendricks Park. Also 10 minutes or less to 52 restaurants, 20 coffee and tea houses, Downtown Eugene, the local Saturday Market, upscale shopping at Oakway Center and 5th Street Public Market, 2 regional malls, the 2,500-seat Hult Performing Arts Center, the 4,000-seat Cuthbert Amphitheater, the 60,000-seat Autzen football stadium, the 4,000-seat PK Park baseball stadium, the Willamette river and waterfront parks, a 9-acre rose garden, much of the 14-mile Ridgeline National Recreation Trail, both Bijou Arts Cinema locations, the David Minor Theater, and the state-of-the-art Riverbend Medical Center built in 2008. Plus, a 1-minute drive to Interstate 5 for quick access to Everything Eugene.
You can drive to most Eugene destinations within 12 minutes from our house, and all destinations, including the airport, are within 20 minutes by car. We're also 4 minutes from the university by car, and 10 minutes from downtown Eugene. Public buses stop within a couple of short blocks from our house and they get you within walking distance to just about everywhere in the Eugene area. We also have several taxi services that typically arrive within minutes after a phone request, and there's a shuttle service to and from the airport. Amtrak and the state-of-the art BoltBus will take you to Portland or Seattle.
Other things to note
Guests should expect 30 to 65 Mbps WiFi throughout our guest suite, with the speed varying by the device's location as you move around.
Cell Phone Connections
Verizon and AT&T cell customers normally connect to our area's newest tower without any problems. T-Mobile customers should expect spotty calls within our guest suite, remedied by stepping outside or enabling WiFi Calling (the underground optical fiber for our WiFi service has been highly dependable). We're located within Eugene's city limits, so T-Mobile plans to boost their signal strength, but we don't know when. We haven't received comments from the customers of other cell phone providers.
- If you smoke or vape, please don't request a reservation, even if you always go outdoors. The reason: we support family members and guests who dislike smoke and vapor, including smells and particles that transfer from clothes.
- No illicit drugs and reasonable sobriety at all times throughout the premises, including outdoors.
- No pets or clothes with clinging pet fur (we adore pets, but from afar).
- Please let us know your ETA at least several hours before your arrival to ensure one or both of us can greet you and provide the key.
- Please remove your shoes at the door (you may want to bring your luggage after you park so you don't have to put your shoes back on)
- No noises that would disturb neighbors, their pets or nearby wildlife.
- The crime rate in Eugene's Laurel Hill Valley is very low (the lowest rate in the city), but please lock the door anyway.
- Come and go as you please through the private entrance on the cul-de-sac side of the house.
- Please inform us about visitors before they arrive.
- Our guest suite excludes the second bedroom on the lower level, which we reserve for our daughter (we don't book Airbnb guests during her visits from college).
- We appreciate neatness.
- Children under age 12 must be supervised by you or a capable babysitter at all times.
- If you have a child under age 3, please let us know, so we can baby proof the guest suite before your arrival.
- You may use our upstairs washer and dryer for free (just check their availability with us beforehand)
- Your linens will be fresh when you arrive, but we don’t offer daily maid service.
- For long-term reservations, we clean your guest suite weekly at a mutually convenient time
We moved to Eugene from the Bay Area in 2008 to enjoy a more intimate university town, and we have never looked back - we just love the beauty and friendliness of our small city. In 2013, after our first year as empty nesters, we converted the lower level of our house - our former teen pad - into an Airbnb guest suite. We've now hosted several hundred wonderful guests from all over the country and all over the world - folks who visit Eugene for all kinds of reasons. We live and work in the upper level of our house, so we're often available, and we'll get to know you as much or as little as you want, and as time permits :)
Amy and Mark