About this listing
Welcome to my clean & calm mid-century modern apartment in the sought-after neighborhood of Brentwood in LA. I have more than 5 years of fantastic experiences both as a host and traveler on Airbnb, and I know how to do it right. Read on, traveler!
Clean and calm describes the decor of my 1-bedroom, 1-bathroom apartment. It is approximately 700 square feet (around 65meters square) located in the quiet and desirable neighborhood of Brentwood in Los Angeles, just on the edge of Santa Monica and about halfway between the beach and Hollywood. It's a quick ride (on a bike or in a car) to the beach or to UCLA's main campus in Westwood. The apartment is decorated in a casually mid-century modern style. It accommodates up to 4 people in 2 queen size beds (the 2nd of which is a luxurious AeroBed that can be set up in the living room).
As a host, my goal is to provide a easy, clean, comfortable, and convenient place for my guests to rest and relax. Based on my extensive experience as a host and guest on Airbnb (so far I've visited about a dozen or two Airbnb properties and hosted at a total of 4 properties, 1 at a time in NYC, Los Angeles, and France), I understand that when traveling for pleasure or business, time is often a precious commodity, and I strive to make sure that you don't have to spend extra time figuring out the little details. As my guest, you'll find that everything has been nicely explained.
As a traveler cleanliness is very important to me, and I'm guessing it is to you too. If not, well, I'm sure you still won't mind finding yourself in a place that feels as clean as it is. I've stayed in some places that looked immaculate in the pictures, but walking in made me want to walk out and touching anything made me want to wash my hands. This isn't one of those places. That doesn't mean that you'll arrive at an apartment that stinks of cleaning supplies (I make sure my housekeepers use cleaning supplies that are less chemical). But it does mean that I like to make sure that the t's are crossed and the i's are dotted. :-)
Comfort is another important fact in my travels, and I guess it might be in yours too. Generally, for me, comfort is mostly about cleanliness I feel comfortable in a clean place -- but it helps to have a high-quality, well-protected mattress, plenty of nice seating, and soft, freshly laundered towels and sheets. These are all things that you will enjoy at my place.
I think after cleanliness, and convenience, character is the most important aspect of a rental. Who wants to stay in a place that could just as easily be anywhere else? For me, life isn't a McDonalds experience (though I'll admit I do enjoy a Mickey D's/MacDo treat about once a year). No, this is not just another cookie-cutter apartment decorated floor to ceiling with Ikea, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, or Target/Wal Mart furniture. My place is a little different and features some pricey new pieces, some good finds from LA's numerous vintage furniture shops as well as the famous Rose Bowl flea market. I admit there are a couple items from Ikea (the bedroom light fixtures, flatware, plates, dish towels, and a credenza), but everything else has character!!
MORE APARTMENT SPECIFICS
- Features an private outdoor patio
- Working fireplace
- Real bamboo hardwood floors throughout.
- Includes a dishwashing machine in the kitchen, a complete setup for cooking, high-speed internet and wi-fi, a large-screen flat panel plasma tv with access to programs and movies on the Roku box. Conveniently there is a clothes washer and dryer in the building (note: it costs $3 in quarters to wash and dry using the laundry machines).
YES, I OFFER FREE PRIVATE PARKING!!! It is free for you in my private reserved parking space in the building parking lot. The driveway is a little bit small, so it is a bit difficult with a large SUV, but most cars (except for the largest cars) shouldn't have any problem. I've seen large SUVs fit too, its just... tricky for some drivers.
Guests will have access to:
• free off-street parking in a reserved parking spot
• laundry machine (coin-operated)
• private patio with table a chairs for beautiful outdoor meals in the sun (or under the stars).
Interaction with Guests
I'm generally available by phone, SMS, email, as well as your standard smartphone and internet communication apps.
The apartment is located in the heart of Brentwood, one of the safest neighborhoods in Los Angeles.
Brentwood is generally quiet (it is nothing like Hollywood, Venice Beach, or Downtown LA). It is pretty close to the beach (a 55 minute walk, 15-20 minute bike ride, or 8-10 minute drive in the car). There are many restaurants, cafés, and bars within a short (5-10 minute) walk. You are within a few minutes of Santa Monica, UCLA, Westwood, and Culver City.
- Quick and easy bus ride to the Getty Museum
- Biking distance from the beach (3.3 safe miles with bike lanes or side streets if you prefer).
- 5-minute walk to grocery store
The neighborhood has tons of great restaurants, cafés, and bars, which range from very expensive to very affordable. I've included some of my favorites in the guidebook for the apartment.
- This is a great area if you're a jogger, because you can jog around the nearby Brentwood Country Club. You can also jog directly to the beach (only 3.3 miles from the apartment)
- Literati Cafe is a fantastic cafe just around the corner (2.5 blocks away). Perfect breakfasts and lunches. There are also many vegetarian and vegan dining options around here, though not all within walking distance (I am quasi vegan).
- Ralph's supermarket is just 2.5 blocks away. There is a Whole Foods grocery within somewhat far walking distance, I think less than 1 mile though. There is a Trader Joe's within a 5 minute drive from the apartment.
- There is a CVS pharmacy within 3 blocks from the apartment
There are 4 bus routes that stop within a short (5 minutes) walk from the apartment. There are an additional 3 bus routes that stop within a 10-minute walk. With these bus lines, you can get just about anywhere in LA. Contrary to popular belief, Los Angeles has a pretty good public transit system. The metro doesn't come as often as it does in Paris, but if you plan your trip, you can use it to get around quickly and cheaply.
Other Things to Note
• Free Private Parking
• Roku TV (not regular cable, but you can get access to fresh news from NPR, CNN, FOX, NBC, etc. and there are literally hundreds of super interesting channels, its just they don't come streaming in automatically, you have to take time to choose them, its more like using YouTube than anything else. If you prefer you can also just hook your laptop up to the TV, as it has an HDMI input as well as other types of inputs.
1. Please consider how you would like your place to be cared for when someone visits your apartment -- and treat my place at least that well!
2. No smoking of anything (including e-cigs) in the apartment or on the building property please go to the sidewalk or beyond to smoke.
3. No pets.
4. No parties.
5. You must list all guests on the original reservation. If not, you must have explicit permission from me to include additional guests.
5. No film/video shoots. Personal photos
6. Do not eat or drink anything while sitting on the (very stainable) couch.
7. Please clean up any and all spills on the floor or table immediately, regardless of whether it is water or anything else.
8. Please leave your shoes at the door. Wearing shoes in the apartment wears down the floor.
9. Be careful -- the patio furniture tends to collect a lot of dust from the infamous Los Angeles air. For your clothes' sake as well as for my couch, please make sure the patio furniture isn't dirty prior to sitting on it, and then subsequently sitting on my couch.
10. After going to the beach shake off all sandy items (including your hair) outside the apartment.
Lots of clean and white. Natural light in bathroom is a very good thing. I have some.
Ari's apartment was great! The location was perfect for our visit to Los Angeles. The apartment is very close to Brentwood Village with a nice selection of fun restaurants and coffee bars. There is even a supermarket around the corner if you want to cook in Ari's kitchen. Cute, clean, comfortable and well supplied!
Great apartment for my daughter and me for a week. Both beds were very comfortable and everything was clean and as advertised. Best part for us was the parking space which was just a few feet from the front door making it very convenient to load/unload the car. We'd also recommend Alfred's for coffee, a short drive away on San Vicente. Thank you and we hope to be back sometime!
I am going to be rather candid in this review because I believe it is important for other airbnb users to get an accurate picture of where they are staying. I am a huge fan of airbnb, and have never encountered this situation before.
Ari was in Nice, France while I rented his apt. He was amiable in allowing me to enter the apt before the check in time and leave my luggage. The cleaning person had just arrived and I saw the TV remotes and asked if he knew how to use them. There were two remotes, one for Roku and one regular. I had tried just to make sure I could watch my news in the morning. He nor I were able to get it working. My techie son came over later and was also unable to figure it out. The frustrating part was Ari was basically put off by my texts and when I countered that all hosts have left instructions or were physically there to show me, he said it was simple. Nothing else. I used my iPad going forward.
The parking is a joke. I did not read between the lines enough of former reviewers, but the allotted spot down a narrow alley was very user unfriendly. I found street parking after battling it once.
When I went to check out the laundry room, I opened the door and it smelt horribly of gas. I texted Ari to let him know and I received a response 22 hrs later saying he would call the building manager. Never heard from him again. Needless to say, I never was able to do laundry.
So I am letting you know that the TV, parking and laundry were not as advertised.
The neighborhood is fabulous, the bed comfortable and the AC is a unit in the living room. Thank heavens there was a floor fan in the bedroom.
Ari left his own personal things in the bathroom. The medicine cabinet and the vanity cabinet were full, making it a bit difficult to store my own toiletries, etc.
The apartment was clean, but the table on the patio was half wiped clean. The other half had black LA dirt layered on. Not welcoming at all.
The white sofa Ari is so concerned about in his lengthy house rules is oatmeal colored wool, nothing one would care to sit on in the hot weather.
I was disappointed with Ari's lack of accessibility and his lack of caring about the two issues I presented to him.
Ari's place is comfortable and clean. The apartment has all the basics one might need. The kitchen is well equipped. Great location and access to major roads. Maneuvering in the parking lot is a bit tight (even with a Mazda 3 HB) when all the neighbors' cars are in their spaces.
We had problems connecting to wifi and sent Ari two emails the evening we arrived. My husband called his phone number in France and left a message at midnight PST. We also called the local number Ari provided in his house manual. When we weren't able to make any contact we called Airbnb for help the next day. That was a bit frustrating. But it got resolved and Ari assured us that wifi network name and key will be included in the house manual from now on. Apparently, he believed it was visible on the Airbnb website. We would consider staying at Ari's place again.
Clean and comfortable apartment in a great area! Having a parking spot is a definite plus, though the parking lot is a little cramped but if you're careful it won't be a problem. Furnishings were great, really love the style. Would definitely return!
The place was just as pictured! The surrounding area is lush and beautiful- very close to shops and restaurants of Brentwood. It was a little tricky to get ahold of Ari- but his instructions were detailed and clear. I will say that the neighbors were a bit loud and this might not be the best place for a light sleeper. We had a great time and would recommend it. : )
Ari's Apartment is so perfectly located, clean and very cute'n'stylish. Ari was not present, but everything was extremely well organized and that made it a super smoothly procedure. Hope 2 be back some time! :-)
This host has 108 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Ari
I originally grew up in Albany, New York where I enjoyed spending time in the woods (without once contracting Lyme), skateboarding, and snowboarding. I studied English and Film at the Colorado College and, upon graduation, got myself a TOEFL certificate so that I could travel the world and earn money. I worked for a school year as an English teacher in Bratislava, Slovakia, before coming home to the US and settling in NYC to pursue life as an indie filmmaker. I later moved to LA and quit filmmaking to get involved in a tech startup. My primary pleasures in life come from being close to my loved ones, backpacking, snowboarding, being politically active, getting to know all the wonderful people I come into contact with, and traveling (of course!)