Welcome to my clean & calm mid-century modern apartment in the sought-after neighborhood of Brentwood in LA. I have 3 years of fantastic experiences both as a host and traveler on Airbnb, and I know how to do it right. Read on, traveler!
My apartment is a 1 bedroom, 1 bath apartment approximately 700 square feet (around 65meters square) located in the desirable neighborhood of Brentwood in Los Angeles, just on the edge of Santa Monica and about halfway between the beach and Hollywood. It's a quick ride (on a bike or in a car) to UCLA's main campus in Westwood. The apartment is decorated in a casually mid-century modern style and accommodates up to 4 people in 2 queen size beds (the 2nd of which is a positively luxurious AeroBed that can be set up in the living room).
As a host, my goal is to provide a easy, clean, comfortable, and convenient place for my guests to rest. Based on my extensive experience as a host and guest on Airbnb, I understand that when traveling for pleasure or business, time is often a precious commodity, and I strive to make sure that you don't have to spend extra time figuring out the little details. As my guest, you'll find that everything has been nicely explained.
As a traveler cleanliness is very important to me, and I'm guessing it is to you too. If not, well, I'm sure you still won't mind finding yourself in a place that feels as clean as it is. I've stayed in some places that looked immaculate in the pictures, but walking in made me want to walk out and touching anything made me want to wash my hands. This isn't one of those places. That doesn't mean that you'll arrive at an apartment that stinks of cleaning supplies (I make sure my housekeepers use cleaning supplies that are less chemical). But it does mean that I like to make sure that the t's are crossed and the i's are dotted. :-)
Comfort is another important fact in my travels, and I guess it might be in yours too. Generally, for me, comfort is mostly about cleanliness I feel comfortable in a clean place -- but it helps to have a high-quality, well-protected mattress, plenty of nice seating, and soft, freshly laundered towels and sheets. These are all things that you will enjoy at my place.
I think after cleanliness, and convenience, character is the most important aspect of a rental. Who wants to stay in a place that could just as easily be anywhere else? For me, life isn't a McDonalds experience (though I'll admit I do enjoy a Mickey D's/MacDo treat about once a year). No, this is not just another cookie-cutter apartment decorated floor to ceiling with Ikea, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, or Target/Wal Mart furniture. My place is a little different and features some pricey new pieces, some good finds from LA's numerous vintage furniture shops as well as the famous Rose Bowl flea market. I admit there are a couple items from Ikea (the bedroom light fixtures, flatware, plates, dish towels, and a credenza), but everything else has character!!
MORE APARTMENT SPECIFICS
- Features an private outdoor patio
- Working fireplace
- Real bamboo hardwood floors throughout.
- Includes a dishwashing machine in the kitchen, a complete setup for cooking, high-speed internet and wi-fi, a large-screen flat panel plasma tv with access to programs and movies on the Roku box. Conveniently there is a clothes washer and dryer in the building (note: it costs $3 in quarters to wash and dry using the laundry machines).
YES, I OFFER FREE PRIVATE PARKING!!! It is free for you in my private reserved parking space in the building parking lot. The driveway is a little bit small, so it is a bit difficult with a large SUV, but most cars (except for the largest cars) shouldn't have any problem. I've seen large SUVs fit too, its just... tricky for some drivers.
Guests will have access to:
• free off-street parking in a reserved parking spot
• laundry machine (coin-operated)
• private patio with table a chairs for beautiful outdoor meals in the sun (or under the stars).
Interaction with Guests
I'm generally available by phone, SMS, email, as well as your standard smartphone and internet communication apps.
The apartment is located in the heart of Brentwood, one of the safest neighborhoods in Los Angeles.
Brentwood is generally quiet (it is nothing like Hollywood, Venice Beach, or Downtown LA). It is pretty close to the beach (a 55 minute walk, 15-20 minute bike ride, or 8-10 minute drive in the car). There are many restaurants, cafés, and bars within a short (5-10 minute) walk. You are within a few minutes of Santa Monica, UCLA, Westwood, and Culver City.
- Quick and easy bus ride to the Getty Museum
- Biking distance from the beach (3.3 safe miles with bike lanes or side streets if you prefer).
- 5-minute walk to grocery store
The neighborhood has tons of great restaurants, cafés, and bars, which range from very expensive to very affordable. I've included some of my favorites in the guidebook for the apartment.
- This is a great area if you're a jogger, because you can jog around the nearby Brentwood Country Club. You can also jog directly to the beach (only 3.3 miles from the apartment)
- Literati Cafe is a fantastic cafe just around the corner (2.5 blocks away). Perfect breakfasts and lunches. There are also many vegetarian and vegan dining options around here, though not all within walking distance (I am quasi vegan).
- Ralph's supermarket is just 2.5 blocks away. There is a Whole Foods grocery within somewhat far walking distance, I think less than 1 mile though. There is a Trader Joe's within a 5 minute drive from the apartment.
- There is a CVS pharmacy within 3 blocks from the apartment
There are 4 bus routes that stop within a short (5 minutes) walk from the apartment. There are an additional 3 bus routes that stop within a 10-minute walk. With these bus lines, you can get just about anywhere in LA. Contrary to popular belief, Los Angeles has a pretty good public transit system. The metro doesn't come as often as it does in Paris, but if you plan your trip, you can use it to get around quickly and cheaply.
Other Things to Note
Did I mention the FREE PARKING? lol.
Roku TV (not regular cable, but you can get access to fresh news from NPR, CNN, FOX, NBC, etc. and there are literally hundreds of super interesting channels, its just they don't come streaming in automatically, you have to take time to choose them, its more like using YouTube than anything else. If you prefer you can also just hook your laptop up to the TV, as it has an HDMI input as well as other types of inputs.
1. Please consider how you would like your place to be cared for when someone visits your apartment -- and treat my place at least that well!
2. No smoking of anything (including e-cigs) in the apartment or on the building property please go to the sidewalk or beyond to smoke.
3. No pets.
4. No parties.
5. You must list all guests on the original reservation. If not, you must have explicit permission from me to include additional guests.
5. No film/video shoots. Personal photos
6. Do not eat or drink anything while sitting on the (very stainable) couch.
7. Please clean up any and all spills on the floor or table immediately, regardless of whether it is water or anything else.
8. Please leave your shoes at the door. Wearing shoes in the apartment wears down the floor.
9. Be careful -- the patio furniture tends to collect a lot of dust from the infamous Los Angeles air. For your clothes' sake as well as for my couch, please make sure the patio furniture isn't dirty prior to sitting on it, and then subsequently sitting on my couch.
10. After going to the beach shake off all sandy items (including your hair) outside the apartment.
I stayed at Ari's apartment for just under three weeks while doing research at UCLA. It was ideal - the apartment was light, airy, comfortable and quiet. Great kitchen and everything worked perfectly. The location was great, close to restaurants, supermarkets, even a Sunday street market close by which sold fresh organic produce and 'real' bread! It was easy getting around using the Big Blue Bus, easy to catch either to UCLA or down to Santa Monica and the beach, and at the same time, when I had a car, the parking space was invaluable. I'd stay here again on another trip to LA. And Ari was ever receptive and helpful - a great host.
Ari made us feel very welcome and was easily contactable and quick to respond in the lead up to, and during our stay.
The apartment was exactly as described, and clean to a very high standard.
Brentwood is a friendly neighbourhood, with easy access to all the sites (with a car) and great amenities in immediate proximity. We recommend the acai place on Gorham & San Vicente (opposite the Whole Foods) for breakfast!
The apartment is great -- it is well kept, very convenient location, and having a reserved parking space was nice. I've only stayed at a handful of Airbnbs over the past few years, but I'd say Ari's place was the nicest.
Our check-in was slightly delayed (on New Year's Day) and the housekeeper was still there when we arrived (apparently extra cleaning was needed after NYE festivities), but that was of little consequence; everything else was awesome. Ari was very pleasant and communicative, and even called once to check that everything was okay when I didn't respond to his note about the delayed check-in.
Before arriving, I expected that perhaps the internet access would be slow, but the TV there streamed Netflix as well as the broadband at my house. I would definitely try to stay here again next time I'm in L.A.
Our stay at Ari's place was really nice and Ari always answered immediately to our messages which was making things easy to prepare our trip. The place was very clean and comfortable, very well located in LA, and with a groceries store just 3 mn walking from the appartement.
The apartment was exactly as described. Quiet and clean. Great kitchen to cook on (walk to a fully stocked super market for everything you need). Host was quick to respond to questions via email and text messages.
Excellent location for visits around the usual spots. Don't miss the outside garden at nearby Literati Café (within walking distance) for delicious breakfasts.
Staying at Ari's home was pleasant and easy. It was easy to communicate with Ari and he provided very clear guest instructions, which was essential, since he was not in town during my stay. I used to live in Ari's neighborhood, and can attest to its convenience to public transit, major roadways, retail and all basic services. Ari's building is quiet and in a safe and desirable neighborhood near UCLA, Santa Monica, the beach and mountains. Cafe' Literati,a nice place to host and meet friends or business associates, and a full service Ralph's grocery store are 5 minutes' stroll away. I will definitely stay with Ari again when the need arises.
Just spent four nights in Ari's clean and calm pad. The apartment was both clean (big thumbs up) and calm (another win). We loved the proximity to Cafe Literati, a lovely breakfast spot, and to Wiltshire Blvd, where the bus took us straight to Santa Monica State Beach. I'd highly recommend this spot for an easy and inexpensive place to stay in West LA.
This host has 108 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
I originally grew up in Albany, New York where I enjoyed spending time in the woods (without once contracting Lyme), skateboarding, and snowboarding. I studied English and Film at the Colorado College and, upon graduation, got myself a TOEFL certificate so that I could travel the world and earn money. I worked for a school year as an English teacher in Bratislava, Slovakia, before coming home to the US and settling in NYC to pursue life as an indie filmmaker. I later moved to LA and quit filmmaking to get involved in a tech startup. My primary pleasures in life come from being close to my loved ones, backpacking, snowboarding, being politically active, getting to know all the wonderful people I come into contact with, and traveling (of course!)