YOUR VISIT Transforms & Uplifts Detroit: 10% of revenue invested in the neighborhood!
We welcome you!
30 guest max. 2 blocks from Woodward Ave!
Shared house: Me ~M-F ~9a-5p / Gregg 1-2 nights/wk
* Make sure everyone in your group reads the whole listing, including "Interaction with Guests" below. I'm happy to address any questions prior to booking.
* CHECK-IN: By appointment. Keyless entry! If neither I nor Gregg can greet you personally I'll send you detailed self check-in instructions. If meeting you at Detroit Loves You, I will arrive 30 minutes before your arrival time and expecting you within 1 hour. This is usually possible weekdays until ~5pm/17:00 and some weekend mornings/afternoons.
* PARKING: Ample free & safe parking in front. It's also possible to park behind the house.
* CAR RENTAL / RIDES: When available I offer rides: $40 DTW airport or $10 Downtown / Amtrak / Greyhound / MegaBus station. Please inquire about renting my Silver 2003 Ford Focus ZX3 hatchback, automatic. $20 1-time fee +$5/hr. Usually available most weekdays until about 5pm/17:00.
* CHECK OUT: We'll schedule your check out time when booking. I need about 2-3 hours to clean and prep before new guest check-in. Look for chargers, toiletries, etc. If no one is home just set the alarm and lock up as usual.
* PRIVACY: only myself, housekeepers, and guests may access their own rooms
* LEFT/LOCKED LUGGAGE: free service!
* PARTIES: Posted rates are for the number of people entering the house regardless of how many stay the night. FYI Airbnb's max # guests is "16+" but upwards of 30 is possible. The final number must be confirmed before the day of check-in. No glitter, confetti, etc. allowed.
WATER ROOM - sleeps 3 comfortably, 6 max
This big comfy 2nd floor bedroom features a walk-in closet, futon bed/couch, and writing bench & chair
Beds: Queen memory foam bed sleeps 2, full futon sleeps 2
Privacy: Electronically lockable door to 2nd floor hall
Accessibility: Porch steps & inside stairs
AIR ROOM - sleeps 5 comfortably, 10 max
This spacious 3rd floor smartly finished modern attic bedroom features A/C, hammock, and pillow closet
Beds: 2 double futons sleep 4, hammock for 1 & floor space for ~4
Privacy: Private door and soundproof stairs from 2nd floor hall
Accessibility: Porch steps, inside stairs & private stairs / must bend down to enter room
MORTON ROOM - sleeps 4 comfortably, 10 max
Beds: Big modular U-shaped couch sleeps 2, 2 couches sleep 2, & floor space for up to 6
Privacy: Heavy curtain to 1st floor hall
Accessibility: Porch steps
This large 1st floor living room features a record player, decorative fireplace, logs to draw on using provided wood burning pen, the random activity game, Morton's List
A stay at the Detroit Loves You Guest Home means you *become* part of the positive transformation that Detroit is experiencing. 10% of proceeds are donated directly to improve the LaSalle Gardens Neighborhood (Hazelwood Block Club, nonprofit Community Development Corporation, exterior property improvements, local startups, etc.). Additional funds employ Detroit housekeepers. Remaining proceeds are invested in improving the Detroit Loves You, and benefiting future guests. Every bright spot makes a huge difference in Detroit's impoverished neighborhoods. THAT'S why Detroit loves you!
Then there's what brings YOU to Detroit - let me know how can I help! I'm excited to welcome you and learn about what you care to share. Feel free to contact me any time with questions about the rooms, house, neighborhood, or city.
- Nathan, Your Detroit Ambassador
* Made in 1910, Detroit Loves You Guest Home is much like her city: built to last. She's been undergoing a makeover since 2010, mirroring Detroit's gradual progress.
* (~Oct-Apr) Radiant heat on the 1st & 2nd levels warms the floors and keeps the house at a constant temperature day and night. A space heater warms the 3rd floor Air Room.
* Rest assured Detroit Loves You is perfectly safe (monitored alarm, security doors & cameras, window guards)
* Guests have access to their guest rooms and public areas of the house: kitchen, dining room, basement laundry, porch, backyard garden, etc. the only private spaces are basement office and Gregg's 2nd floor bedroom.
* Clean bedding & towels provided
* Super fast wireless Internet - 10/1Mbps down/up. Network & password posted in guest rooms
* Bathrooms - 2 full baths (2nd floor), professionally cleaned & well maintained. Shared but you may request one be for your use only.
* Food - Help yourself to all unmarked foods in kitchen! (staples, baking ingredients, spices, canned food, coffee/tea, etc.)
* Appliances - Gas stove/oven, microwave, toaster oven, blender, water boiler, percolator, French press, coffee grinder, etc.
* Laundry - Washer & dryer in basement
*Ask for access to the outdoor pool & Jacuzzi (late May to early September) and indoor gym & dry sauna (year-round) in a loft building east of Downtown [$50 deposit for key fob (replacement cost if lost) / car required to enter]
Interaction with Guests
I work from my office in the basement most weekdays ~9am/9:00 to ~5pm/17:00, and can be available for guests as needed. Detroit Loves You caretaker, Gregg Brazel, sleeps in his 2nd floor bedroom a few nights a week on average and is usually busy with work when at the house, but can also be available to assist guests. Gregg moved to Detroit from Chicago to design and build ecological shipping container structures and has been constructing Detroit Loves You improvements since April 2013. Have no worries about disturbing either of us; we're both very used to living and working around guests. We're fixing up this house for you, so make yourselves at home.
LaSalle Gardens is an old, authentic Detroit neighborhood; a quiet bedroom community named after the historic street 6 blocks south. If you are not used to urban living, its typically Detroit issues with abandonment and upkeep may appear off-putting. But the neighbors are very friendly, support Detroit Loves You, and happy to meet visitors. I encourage you to say hello to anyone on the street. That's the Detroit way!
* Peaches'n'Greens, 8838 3rd St - Fresh produce grocery 2 houses away owned by the amazing CDC (Community Development Corporation), featuring vegetables grown in the community garden across the street!
* Cafe Sonshine [sic], 8902 2nd Ave (1 block), a hidden gem of a healthy soul food restaurant 1 block away. The best place for authentic Detroit cuisine!
* King Cole Foods, 40 Clairmount St (3 blocks), Full grocery store, no alcohol
* Sam's Market, 760 Hazelwood St (across the street), alcohol/snacks. Owned & operated by very friendly couple Rob & Gene, who moved to Detroit from Iraq in the '80s.
Detroit Loves You is right in the heart of Detroit, just 4mi/6.5km to downtown along our main central road, Woodward Ave (first paved road in the US!), and under 2mi/3km to Wayne State University.
* Local Bus: Catch downtown/suburb-bound buses (#53) 24/7 on Woodward Ave less than 2 blocks away, connect to major routes at the Rosa Parks and State Fair Transit Centers. Fare: $1.50 adult ($0.25 transfer/senior/disabled), Free for up to 3 children under 44" with adult. Pass: $14 5-day, $14.40 1wk, $27.50 2wks, $47 1mo ($17 senior/disabled, $49.50 regional 1mo)
* Bus Stations: Mega Bus station @Rosa Parks Transit Center, 1310 Cass Ave (Downtown) also stops at Wayne State University on the Cass Ave side of the WSU Barnes & Noble @82 Warren Ave W (Midtown). Greyhound station @1001 Howard St (Downtown)
* Taxi: $2.50 +$1.60/mi. ~$10/10mins to Downtown Detroit, ~$35-45/20mins to DTW airport
* Car: 1 block to M-10/Lodge Frwy, connects to I-75, I-94, I-275, M-14, M-59 & I-96/696 in minutes
* Train - Amtrak station, 11 W Baltimore Ave (New Center, 9 blocks). 1-way fare/time: $6/20m Dearborn/The Henry Ford, $10/25m Royal Oak, $11/30m Birmingham, $12/1h Pontiac, $12-17/1h Ann Arbor, Toledo $15/1h, $18/1.5h Jackson, $24/2.5h Battle Creek, $27/3h Kalamazoo, $34/4h East Lansing, $51/7h Saginaw, $53/5h Flint, $58-72/2.5h Cleveland, $57-78/5.5h Chicago, $61/4h Grand Rapids, $61/6.5h Port Huron
* Airplane - DTW airport in Romulus 32km/20mi west of Detroit
Other Things to Note
History to hipsters, Motown to mashups, "ruin porn" to DIY culture, urban gardens and some of the friendliest people you'll meet this side of Polynesia – Detroit holds so much for you to discover! Just let me know what you're interested in and I'll give you recommendations for dining, bars, clubs, art, nature, biking, Urban Exploration (UrbEx), insider events & more. Detroit is a city of contrasts. Its reality is sometimes stark, often artistic, and always expressed from the Heart. Come experience Detroit from the inside. Whether here for a day or the season, you'll soon feel the Detroit Love that drives us.
A Word About Safety...
People routinely confuse poverty with danger. Detroit's violent reputation is long outdated. It's actually safer for visitors than many other big US cities, and like most it looks far worse than it really is. Downtown is incredibly clean & secure - more so than many of our flashy suburbs! I simply advise guests to use basic street smarts (look & walk confidently, be aware of your environment, avoid unpopulated areas, use the buddy system, etc.) and remove or hide GPSs, chargers and other valuables in cars.
Please familiarize yourself with Airbnb's Moderate Cancellation Policy:
* Cancelled 5 full days prior (to 3pm/15:00 the day of check in) = full refund
* 1-4 days prior = 1st night isn't refunded / remaining nights 50% refunded
* Day of check-in or during reservation = nights not spent 24hrs after cancellation are 50% refunded
If you need to cancel your reservation such that this policy doesn't allow for a full refund, I will attempt to attract last minute bookings and will refund you an additional amount equal to funds received beyond the amount that would have been received. Cancellation for any reason is subject to the above policies, including not having read the entire listing, or inability to see past Detroit's off-putting surface.
NOTE: The Morton Room was called Fire Room until May 2014
Make yourself at home. Let me know how I can help.
By appointment. I will drive to Detroit Loves You to greet you personally whenever possible, arriving 30 minutes before your arrival time and expecting you within 1 hour. This is usually possible weekdays until ~5pm/17:00 and some weekend mornings/afternoons. If neither I nor Gregg can greet you personally I'll send you detailed arrival instructions. Keyless entry!
Super fast wireless Internet - 10/1Mbps down/up. Network / Password posted in guest rooms.
Ample free & safe parking in front. It's also possible to park behind the house.
All around Detroit Loves You, these short notes explain important house quirks & appliance instructions. Please read each when you see them.
In the dining room. Please use anything in them & leave useful info you pick up for future guests.
Please remove shoes when inside. This helps keep Detroit Loves You clean for all.
SMOKING, FIRE & VAPING
*NO FIRE of any kind* allowed inside for critically important safety reasons. OK outside only: candles, incense, traditional cigarettes/cigars, dab rig, hookah (BYO or replace shisha & coals), etc. All butts in provided butt pots or trash - do not flick as they must be picked up by hand, thank you! OK inside: ecigs and vaping devices with no open flame. Cannabis: not on the front porch for community respect. Michigan's 2008 Medical Marihuana [sic] Act allows anyone with a card issued by any US state to consume legally on private property with the owner's permission. Detroit city law allows anyone over 21 to possess under 1oz/28g on private property.
Your well behaved animal companions are very welcome! Tell me about them all when booking. It's just important that they not scratch or dirty the furniture and any accidents are promptly cleaned up. Note: pets only allowed in Air Room under direct supervision as they can damage the expensive soundproofing.
Please keep the sink & drying rack clear by washing dishes as you use them & taking clean ones from the rack.
Please ask before using. To save resources only run full loads. If you have less, I can always add bedding.
We'll schedule your check out time when booking. I need about 2-3 hours to clean and prep before new guest check-in. Look for chargers, toiletries, etc. If no one is home just set the alarm and lock up as usual.
We had a small problem getting into the Detroit Loves You Home, but Nathan was very accommodating and quickly resolved the issue. The space is amazing and has so many different trinkets and items to explore. Everything was very neat and tidy and we will definitely be coming back here again. Thanks for having us!
I lead a group of 12 others to Detroit and we stayed at Nathan's house for a week. The experience was phenomenal. The house was clean and tidy when we arrived and Nathan and his workers were as nice as could be. If we ever needed anything, I just sent Nathan a text and he got back to me as soon as he could. The house was plenty stocked with pots, pans, plates, towels, and anything else you may need. It is also only about 2 minutes driving distance away from King Cole's foods. It was an incredible experience that I would highly recommend.
Nathan was a perfect host & the house is great, just as advertised. We felt very secure and he was available at all times for any questions / issues. It was exactly what we were looking for! Would definitely recommend and would visit again!
Always a fantastic stay!! Nathan is very hospitable!! When we stayed this time an issue came up with our booking but he worked it out very smoothly. This house is always an amazing stay and great for large groups. We try to stay here every time we come down to Detroit!! I would highly recommend this place for anyone with a large group. And as always Nathan was very helpful with restaurants and things to do around the area and also any needs we had during our stay. A++
Nathan made us feel very welcome. The house felt comfortable and friendly. Fun art on the walls, games on the shelves, and plenty of comfy places to sit and to sleep. The neighborhood is in transition but seemed friendly. We had no issues at all and a very pleasant stay.
Nathan and Gregg were wonderful hosts, and the house was perfectly suited to our needs. They were very accommodating in our arrival, and the house was clean, warm, and welcoming.
Our group of ten had ample space, and the house could have slept many more comfortably. The description doesn't do the house justice!
Overall we had a phenomenal time at the house, and would definitely go back! I would highly recommend this home to anyone wanting to spend time in the area.
Many thanks to Nathan and Gregg for all the work they are doing with the house!
This was my second time renting out Nathan's house and I have to say that I will be back for a third time soon! The house was perfect for a friends birthday gathering. It slept our group of 6 comfortably. I highly recommend the Detroit Loves you Guesthouse!
This host has 133 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
I was made in Detroit, then lived all around southeast Michigan (between world travels) not calling the city itself my home until 2004. Around that time I began hosting travelers on my couches. I felt blessed to experience Detroit and Detroiters through their eyes and learn about their experiences here and back home. My passion for hosting grew over the years until I bought my Virginia Park neighborhood house and opened the Detroit Loves You Guest Home in 2010 - the first AirBnB in Detroit!
Much more than a personal business, the Guest Home directly supports the Virginia Park neighborhood with 10% of your reservation's proceeds funding the Hazelwood Block Club, local start-ups and non-profits, and property beautification. *That's* why Detroit loves you!