About This Listing
YOUR VISIT Transforms & Uplifts Detroit: 10% of revenue invested in the neighborhood!
We welcome you!
30 guest max. 2 blocks from Woodward Ave!
Shared house: Me ~M-F ~9a-5p / Gregg 1-2 nights/wk
* Make sure everyone in your group reads the whole listing, including "Interaction with Guests" below. I'm happy to address any questions prior to booking.
* CHECK-IN: By appointment. Keyless entry! If neither I nor Gregg can greet you personally I'll send you detailed self check-in instructions. If meeting you at Detroit Loves You, I will arrive 30 minutes before your arrival time and expecting you within 1 hour. This is usually possible weekdays until ~5pm/17:00 and some weekend mornings/afternoons.
* PARKING: Ample free & safe parking in front. It's also possible to park behind the house.
* CAR RENTAL / RIDES: When available I offer rides: $40 DTW airport or $10 Downtown / Amtrak / Greyhound / MegaBus station. Please inquire about renting my Silver 2003 Ford Focus ZX3 hatchback, automatic. $20 1-time fee +$5/hr. Usually available most weekdays until about 5pm/17:00.
* CHECK OUT: We'll schedule your check out time when booking. I need about 2-3 hours to clean and prep before new guest check-in. Look for chargers, toiletries, etc. If no one is home just set the alarm and lock up as usual.
* PRIVACY: only myself, housekeepers, and guests may access their own rooms
* LEFT/LOCKED LUGGAGE: free service!
* PARTIES: Posted rates are for the number of people entering the house regardless of how many stay the night. FYI Airbnb's max # guests is "16+" but upwards of 30 is possible. The final number must be confirmed before the day of check-in. No glitter, confetti, etc. allowed.
WATER ROOM - sleeps 3 comfortably, 6 max
This big comfy 2nd floor bedroom features a walk-in closet, futon bed/couch, and writing bench & chair
Beds: Queen memory foam bed sleeps 2, full futon sleeps 2
Privacy: Electronically lockable door to 2nd floor hall
Accessibility: Porch steps & inside stairs
AIR ROOM - sleeps 5 comfortably, 10 max
This spacious 3rd floor smartly finished modern attic bedroom features A/C, hammock, and pillow closet
Beds: 2 double futons sleep 4, hammock for 1 & floor space for ~4
Privacy: Private door and soundproof stairs from 2nd floor hall
Accessibility: Porch steps, inside stairs & private stairs / must bend down to enter room
MORTON ROOM - sleeps 4 comfortably, 10 max
Beds: Big modular U-shaped couch sleeps 2, 2 couches sleep 2, & floor space for up to 6
Privacy: Heavy curtain to 1st floor hall
Accessibility: Porch steps
This large 1st floor living room features a record player, decorative fireplace, logs to draw on using provided wood burning pen, the random activity game, Morton's List
A stay at the Detroit Loves You Guest Home means you *become* part of the positive transformation that Detroit is experiencing. 10% of proceeds are donated directly to improve the LaSalle Gardens Neighborhood (Hazelwood Block Club, nonprofit Community Development Corporation, exterior property improvements, local startups, etc.). Additional funds employ Detroit housekeepers. Remaining proceeds are invested in improving the Detroit Loves You, and benefiting future guests. Every bright spot makes a huge difference in Detroit's impoverished neighborhoods. THAT'S why Detroit loves you!
Then there's what brings YOU to Detroit - let me know how can I help! I'm excited to welcome you and learn about what you care to share. Feel free to contact me any time with questions about the rooms, house, neighborhood, or city.
- Nathan, Your Detroit Ambassador
* Made in 1910, Detroit Loves You Guest Home is much like her city: built to last. She's been undergoing a makeover since 2010, mirroring Detroit's gradual progress.
* (~Oct-Apr) Radiant heat on the 1st & 2nd levels warms the floors and keeps the house at a constant temperature day and night. A space heater warms the 3rd floor Air Room.
* Rest assured Detroit Loves You is perfectly safe (monitored alarm, security doors & cameras, window guards)
* Guests have access to their guest rooms and public areas of the house: kitchen, dining room, basement laundry, porch, backyard garden, etc. the only private spaces are basement office and Gregg's 2nd floor bedroom.
* Clean bedding & towels provided
* Super fast wireless Internet - 10/1Mbps down/up. Network & password posted in guest rooms
* Bathrooms - 2 full baths (2nd floor), professionally cleaned & well maintained. Shared but you may request one be for your use only.
* Food - Help yourself to all unmarked foods in kitchen! (staples, baking ingredients, spices, canned food, coffee/tea, etc.)
* Appliances - Gas stove/oven, microwave, toaster oven, blender, water boiler, percolator, French press, coffee grinder, etc.
* Laundry - Washer & dryer in basement
*Ask for access to the outdoor pool & Jacuzzi (late May to early September) and indoor gym & dry sauna (year-round) in a loft building east of Downtown [$50 deposit for key fob (replacement cost if lost) / car required to enter]
Interaction with Guests
I work from my office in the basement most weekdays ~9am/9:00 to ~5pm/17:00, some weekends earlier in the day, and am available for guests by cell as needed. Detroit Loves You caretaker, Gregg Brazel, sleeps in his 2nd floor bedroom a few nights a week on average and is usually busy with work when at the house, but can also be available to assist guests. Gregg moved to Detroit from Chicago to design and build ecological shipping container structures and has been constructing Detroit Loves You improvements since April 2013. Have no worries about disturbing either of us; we're both very used to living and working around guests. We're fixing up this house for you, so make yourselves at home.
LaSalle Gardens is an old, authentic Detroit neighborhood; a quiet bedroom community named after the historic street 6 blocks south. If you are not used to urban living, its typically Detroit issues with abandonment and upkeep may appear off-putting. But the neighbors are very friendly, support Detroit Loves You, and happy to meet visitors. I encourage you to say hello to anyone on the street. That's the Detroit way!
* Peaches'n'Greens, 8838 3rd St - Fresh produce grocery 2 houses away owned by the amazing CDC (Community Development Corporation), featuring vegetables grown in the community garden across the street!
* Cafe Sonshine [sic], 8902 2nd Ave (1 block), a hidden gem of a healthy soul food restaurant 1 block away. The best place for authentic Detroit cuisine!
* King Cole Foods, 40 Clairmount St (3 blocks), Full grocery store, no alcohol
* Sam's Market, 760 Hazelwood St (across the street), alcohol/snacks. Owned & operated by very friendly couple Rob & Gene, who moved to Detroit from Iraq in the '80s.
Detroit Loves You is right in the heart of Detroit, just 4mi/6.5km to downtown along our main central road, Woodward Ave (first paved road in the US!), and under 2mi/3km to Wayne State University.
* Local Bus: Catch downtown/suburb-bound buses (#53) 24/7 on Woodward Ave less than 2 blocks away, connect to major routes at the Rosa Parks and State Fair Transit Centers. Fare: $1.50 adult ($0.25 transfer/senior/disabled), Free for up to 3 children under 44" with adult. Pass: $14 5-day, $14.40 1wk, $27.50 2wks, $47 1mo ($17 senior/disabled, $49.50 regional 1mo)
* Bus Stations: Mega Bus station @Rosa Parks Transit Center, 1310 Cass Ave (Downtown) also stops at Wayne State University on the Cass Ave side of the WSU Barnes & Noble @82 Warren Ave W (Midtown). Greyhound station @1001 Howard St (Downtown)
* Taxi: $2.50 +$1.60/mi. ~$10/10mins to Downtown Detroit, ~$35-45/20mins to DTW airport
* Car: 1 block to M-10/Lodge Frwy, connects to I-75, I-94, I-275, M-14, M-59 & I-96/696 in minutes
* Train - Amtrak station, 11 W Baltimore Ave (New Center, 9 blocks). 1-way fare/time: $6/20m Dearborn/The Henry Ford, $10/25m Royal Oak, $11/30m Birmingham, $12/1h Pontiac, $12-17/1h Ann Arbor, Toledo $15/1h, $18/1.5h Jackson, $24/2.5h Battle Creek, $27/3h Kalamazoo, $34/4h East Lansing, $51/7h Saginaw, $53/5h Flint, $58-72/2.5h Cleveland, $57-78/5.5h Chicago, $61/4h Grand Rapids, $61/6.5h Port Huron
* Airplane - DTW airport in Romulus 32km/20mi west of Detroit
Other Things to Note
History to hipsters, Motown to mashups, "ruin porn" to DIY culture, urban gardens and some of the friendliest people you'll meet this side of Polynesia – Detroit holds so much for you to discover! Just let me know what you're interested in and I'll give you recommendations for dining, bars, clubs, art, nature, biking, Urban Exploration (UrbEx), insider events & more. Detroit is a city of contrasts. Its reality is sometimes stark, often artistic, and always expressed from the Heart. Come experience Detroit from the inside. Whether here for a day or the season, you'll soon feel the Detroit Love that drives us.
A Word About Safety...
People routinely confuse poverty with danger. Detroit's violent reputation is long outdated. It's actually safer for visitors than many other big US cities, and like most it looks far worse than it really is. Downtown is incredibly clean & secure - more so than many of our flashy suburbs! I simply advise guests to use basic street smarts (look & walk confidently, be aware of your environment, avoid unpopulated areas, use the buddy system, etc.) and remove or hide GPSs, chargers and other valuables in cars.
Please familiarize yourself with Airbnb's Moderate Cancellation Policy:
* Cancelled 5 full days prior (to 3pm/15:00 the day of check in) = full refund
* 1-4 days prior = 1st night isn't refunded / remaining nights 50% refunded
* Day of check-in or during reservation = nights not spent 24hrs after cancellation are 50% refunded
If you need to cancel your reservation such that this policy doesn't allow for a full refund, I will attempt to attract last minute bookings and will refund you an additional amount equal to funds received beyond the amount that would have been received. Cancellation for any reason is subject to the above policies, including not having read the entire listing, or inability to see past Detroit's off-putting surface.
Make yourself at home. Let me know how I can help.
By appointment. I will drive to Detroit Loves You to greet you personally whenever possible, arriving 30 minutes before your arrival time and expecting you within 1 hour. This is usually possible weekdays until ~5pm/17:00 and some weekend mornings/afternoons. If neither I nor Gregg can greet you personally I'll send you detailed arrival instructions. Keyless entry!
Super fast wireless Internet - 10/1Mbps down/up. Network / Password posted in guest rooms.
Ample free & safe parking in front. It's also possible to park behind the house.
All around Detroit Loves You, these short notes explain important house quirks & appliance instructions. Please read each when you see them.
In the dining room. Please use anything in them & leave useful info you pick up for future guests.
Please remove shoes when inside. This helps keep Detroit Loves You clean for all.
SMOKING, FIRE & VAPING
*NO FIRE of any kind* allowed inside for critically important safety reasons. OK outside only: candles, incense, traditional cigarettes/cigars, dab rig, hookah (BYO or replace shisha & coals), etc. All butts in provided butt pots or trash - do not flick as they must be picked up by hand, thank you! OK inside: ecigs and vaping devices with no open flame. Cannabis: not on the front porch for community respect. Michigan's 2008 Medical Marihuana [sic] Act allows anyone with a card issued by any US state to consume legally on private property with the owner's permission. Detroit city law allows anyone over 21 to possess under 1oz/28g on private property.
Your well behaved animal companions are very welcome! Tell me about them all when booking. It's just important that they not scratch or dirty the furniture and any accidents are promptly cleaned up. Note: pets only allowed in Air Room under direct supervision as they can damage the expensive soundproofing.
Please keep the sink & drying rack clear by washing dishes as you use them & taking clean ones from the rack.
Please ask before using. To save resources only run full loads. If you have less, I can always add bedding.
We'll schedule your check out time when booking. I need about 2-3 hours to clean and prep before new guest check-in. Look for chargers, toiletries, etc. If no one is home just set the alarm and lock up as usual.
We came in after a long trip and it was really nice to have such a welcoming host! Thanks Nathan!! See you next time!
The house was nice. They helped us with the food we brought in. But the listing makes it sound like a guest house you're renting for privacy, our host was there and it was all females and one guy, which was unknown and made us a bit uncomfy.
Thanks, Jennifer - you all were great! Next time please just let me know about your needs and wants and I'll be happy to accommodate you. Your comfort is my job and goal. While the listing explains Gregg & my schedules (cut & pasted below for reference), we can be very flexible to best suit your needs. We've hosted wedding parties many times and understand there are often special considerations.
"Shared house: Me ~M-F ~9a-5p / Gregg 1-2 nights/wk" & "Interaction with Guests: I work from my office in the basement most weekdays ~9am/9:00 to ~5pm/17:00, some weekends earlier in the day, and am available for guests by cell as needed. Detroit Loves You caretaker, Gregg Brazel, sleeps in his 2nd floor bedroom a few nights a week on average and is usually busy with work when at the house, but can also be available to assist guests. Gregg moved to Detroit from Chicago to design and build ecological shipping container structures and has been constructing Detroit Loves You improvements since April 2013."
Nathan was super responsive to my emails from day one. He went out and beyond responding my questions, not only about the house, but also about the city. The house has everything you would need, including a nice large kitchen table, in case you are planning on doing any cooking with your family/friends.
We were not able to connect with Nathan in person, but used the automated check in and check out procedure seamlessly. Nathan provided detailed and clear instructions for how to unlock/lock the doors and how to disengage/engage the security alarm system. Be aware that the deadbolt on the wooden door is a little wonky when leaving the house, so be sure to follow Nathan's instructions carefully to make sure that the wooden door locks when leaving the house. Plenty of clean towels were provided. (We had for guests for two nights.) However, if you insist on a hot shower, this probably isn't the place for you. I was first in the shower both days and the water in the bathroom never surpassed lukewarm. (This is the reason this listing gets 4 stars from me and not 5.) I suppose this is due to the sustainability efforts of our host. Detroit Loves You does composting and has detailed instructions for recycling in the kitchen as well. It is apparent that Nathan cares about keeping Detroit and our planet beautiful. Although Nathan was out of town for the weekend, he was great at responding quickly responding to text messages. We loved staying at Detroit Loves You and would absolutely return! Do yourself a favor and stay here when you visit the D. It is a great place for groups!!! And BTW, we did NOT have any problems with parking our car right out front overnight both nights.
Thanks, Amy! I'm so glad you enjoyed your time at Detroit Loves You. Please do come back. You're welcome any time, and you'll get to see home and neighborhood improvements made possible by your support.
Note to future guests: The hot water temperature is controlled by a knob on the hot water boiler in the basement, and may be set to any desired temperature. It should always by default be set to "typical": 120F/50C.
My apologies, Amy. In the future please just contact me with any issues and I'll be happy to take care of them for you immediately. Comfort is key!
The Detroit Loves You guest home was a wonderful place to stay during a weekend away from Toronto. Nathan was a fantastic host whose love for Detroit really showed. He had many recommendations of things to do, sights to see, places to eat and drink and shop in the city. My group and I loved exploring the surrounding neighborhoods on an early evening walk, and everyone we saw said a friendly hello. The house itself was incredibly comfortable. We had more than enough room and privacy for 4 guests and we loved hanging out in the living room listening to the ample record collection. We would definitely stay here again. Long live Detroit!
This host has 145 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Nathan
I was made in Detroit, then lived all around southeast Michigan (between world travels) not calling the city itself my home until 2004. Around that time I began hosting travelers on my couches. I felt blessed to experience Detroit and Detroiters through their eyes and learn about their experiences here and back home. My passion for hosting grew over the years until I bought my Virginia Park neighborhood house and opened the Detroit Loves You Guest Home in 2010 - the first AirBnB in Detroit!
Much more than a personal business, the Guest Home directly supports the Virginia Park neighborhood with 10% of your reservation's proceeds funding the Hazelwood Block Club, local start-ups and non-profits, and property beautification. *That's* why Detroit loves you!
Local fresh grocer just 2 houses away! Run by the Community Development Corporation - please support Detroit by supporting them.3rd Street Detroit MI 48202
Run by Rob and Gene, Iraqis who came to Detroit in the 80s. Please support them by purchasing your alcoholic beverages and snacks here!3rd Street Detroit MI 48202
The dedicated people responsible for so much in the Virginia Park neighborhood!2nd Avenue Detroit MI 48202
AMAZING soul food (without salt!). Super friendly staff will make you anything you ask. Run by the Community Development Corporation - please support Detroit by supporting them.2nd Avenue Detroit MI 48202
Nearest full service grocery store (no alcohol)Clairmount Street Detroit MI 48202
The BEST thrift store around! Excellent clothes selections, and smaller section for other items. Dingy but a real treasure trove!Woodward Ave Detroit MI 48202
This all-turkey restaurant has giant turkey legs, and huge portions!Woodward Avenue Detroit MI 48202
Closest bar to the Guest Home. Also one of the citys best. Great mixed crowd, jazz, food and more!West Baltimore Street Detroit MI 48202
$10 for a tour that includes Michael Jacksons hat and glove among other priceless artifacts. But the best thing of all is the tour guides get people singing and dancing!W Grand Blvd Detroit US 48208
Right on Woodward Ave.West Baltimore Avenue Detroit MI 48202
Grown up around the Recycle Here center and community, this area is full of beautiful street art!Lincoln St Detroit MI 48208
Its like a new Motown Museum! Founded in 1933, United Sound was Detroits first major recording studio. Artists like John Lee Hooke Miles Davis, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers recorded in Studios AB!2nd Ave Detroit MI 48202
One of the best businesses and some of the best people to support. Excellent Jamaican food, coffee, authentic atmosphere, wifi. Truly a hidden gem!Woodward Ave Highland Park MI 48203
Independent coffee houseHolbrook Street Hamtramck MI 48212
This wonderful museum features the permanent exhibit And Still We Rise! which is well worth seeing on its own. A must to better understand Detroit and the US.E Warren Ave Detroit MI 48202
Best vegan/vegetarian food in the city!East Forest Avenue Detroit MI 48201
Best bakery in the city - also great soups and sandwhichesWest Willis Street Detroit MI 48201
Excellent natural foods marketWest Willis Street Detroit MI 48201-1702
This unique backyard franken-construction rivals The Heidelberg Projects bright colors strangeness. Built by a Ukranian immigrant who lives in the house, take in this local marvel from the alley.Klinger St Hamtramck MI 48212
Everything bikes! Buy, repair, even classes. No rentals.Cass Ave Detroit MI 48201
This wonderful local movie theater used to be a (my) K-8 school! Check out a show here if at all possible - youll love it!Cass Ave Detroit MI 48201
Detroits largest ruin was recently purchased, so access may become more difficult. It stretches over many blocks making it the largest abandoned industrial site within a city in the world.Detroit MI 48211
Detroits only hostel - run by friend, Emily DoerrVermont Street Detroit MI 48216
Best coffee (third wave) in the cityMichigan Avenue Detroit MI 48216
Famous electronic music clubMichigan Avenue Detroit MI 48216
The most famous and iconic abandoned building in Detroit. Entry is strictly controlled, but it can be enjoyed from nearby Roosevelt Park.15th Street Detroit MI 48216
An explosion of street art. Best free sight in the city!Heidelberg Street Detroit MI 48207
Central bus transit center and MegaBus stopCass Ave Detroit MI 48226
Detroits unofficial Welcome Center. Information about any and everything including tours!Woodward Avenue Detroit MI 48226
Famous grocery store with many Mexican foodsBagley Street Detroit MI 48216-1815
One of the best, friendliest places to support! Goldengate is a beautiful Mecca of positivity and their small cafe is well worth visiting.Woodward Ave Detroit MI 48203
Famous Mexicantown cafe!2826 Bagley St Detroit MI 48216
The one and only!W Lafayette Blvd Detroit MI 48226
Another top place to support! This great French cafe has wonderful food and coffee, and is owned by the Michigan Citizen, Detroits best independent newspaper!Trumbull Street Detroit MI 48216-1938
Named the #2 bookstore in the world! This 4-story warehouse of used and rare books is a bibliophiles dream.West Lafayette Boulevard Detroit MI 48226-3013
The lovely and awesome Beth-Joy bartends Mondays and Saturdays. Local craft beer amazing food!Woodward Avenue Detroit MI 48226
Detroits oldest and best cemetery. Its grounds are some of the only original, unlandscaped terrain left in the city. Enjoy the river and famous grave sites. The perfect place for a picnic!Elmwood St Detroit MI 48207
Bike rentals - see also Fender Bender, the Detroit Homestead, and The HubAtwater Street Detroit MI 48207
A wonderfully modern museum thats easy to enjoy quickly, yet important enough to explore thoroughly.Michigan Avenue Dearborn MI 48126
Dearborn stationMichigan Ave Dearborn MI 48126
Affiliated with the famously awesome Motor City Blight Busters, this cafes in the heart of the blossoming Brightmoor neighborhood. Check out the Burning Man temple across the street Redford TheatreLahser Rd Detroit MI 48219
This famous old theatre is fully restored and features live organ music before each show, plus popcorn with real butter!Lahser Rd Detroit MI 48219
A great way to travel along Woodward Ave!Villa Rd Birmingham MI 48009
Biggest, best, and effectively only airport guests or locals use.West G Rogell Drive Detroit MI 48242
Connects to Detroit and Chicago.Depot Street Ann Arbor MI 48104
Gateway to Ohio MichiganEmerald Ave Toledo OH 43604