Welcome to the Detroit Loves You Guest Home
Where YOUR VISIT Helps Transform & Uplift Detroit
Enjoy this spacious house centrally located near Woodward Ave, Detroit's main & central street!
* CHECK-IN: Contact me to schedule your arrival. Check in is usually ~9am/09:00 to ~5pm/17:00 (the hours I work at the Guest Home most days). I can plan on meeting you earlier. If arriving later contact me to make alternate arrangements - it may be possible to leave a key with Gregg or my next door neighbor, Dennis.
* PARKING: Ample free & safe parking in front. It's also possible to park behind the house.
* CAR RENTAL / RIDES: Please inquire. $5/hr, 2003 Ford Focus hatchback. Usually available most days until about 5pm/17:00. Rides each way: DTW airport $40; Amtrak / Greyhound / MegaBus station $10.
* CHECK-OUT: Pending new guest arrivals, checking out any time is OK; please let me know your preferred check out time.
* Privacy: only myself, the weekly housekeeper, and guests may access guest rooms
* Inquire about left/locked luggage service
A stay at the Detroit Loves You Guest Home means you *become* part of the positive transformation that Detroit is experiencing. 10% of proceeds are donated directly to our Block Club and the nonprofit Community Development Corporation to benefit the Virginia Park Neighborhood. Additional funds employ Detroit resident, Linda, who partnered with the Guest Home in 2012. Remaining proceeds are invested in improving the Guest Home property, beautifying the neighborhood and benefiting future guests. Every bright spot makes a huge difference in Detroit's struggling neighborhoods. THAT'S why Detroit loves you!
Then there's what brings YOU to Detroit - let me know how can I help! I'm excited to welcome you and learn about what you care to share. Feel free to contact me any time with questions about the rooms, house, neighborhood, or city.
-Nathan, Your Detroit Ambassador
WATER ROOM - sleeps 2-4+
Comfortable owner's bedroom next door to bathroom with walk-in closet, desk & chair, and futon bed/couch
Queen memory foam bed sleeps 2 and full futon sleeps 2 more
Privacy: Door to 2nd floor hall
Accessibility: Porch steps & inside stairs
AIR ROOM - sleeps 2-7+
Spacious 3rd floor/smartly finished modern attic bedroom with A/C and pillow closet
2 double futons sleep 4, hammock for 1 & floor space for ~4
Privacy: Soundproof stairs to private 2nd floor hall door
Accessibility: Porch steps, inside stairs & private stairs / must bend down to enter room
FIRE ROOM - sleeps 2-6+
Large 1st floor living room, board games, record player, logs to wood burn on
Large modular U-shaped couch sleeps 2, 2 couches sleep 2, & floor space for ~3
Privacy: Heavy curtain to 1st floor hall
Accessibility: Porch steps
* Made in 1910, the Detroit Loves You Guest Home is much like her city: built to last. She's been undergoing a makeover since 2010, mirroring Detroit's gradual progress.
* Helpful notes about the home's quirks are posted in all rooms. Please read these as you encounter them.
* Rest assured the Guest Home is perfectly safe (monitored alarm, security doors & cameras, window guards)
* Clean bedding & towels provided
* Keys & alarm instructions upon arrival
* Super fast wireless Internet - 10/1Mbps down/up. Network & password posted in guest rooms
* Bathroom - 2nd floor, cleaned professionally weekly, well maintained, shared
* Food - Help yourself to all unmarked foods in kitchen! (typically: staples, baking ingredients, spices, canned food, coffee/tea, etc. - enough to greatly assist self-catering)
* Appliances - Gas stove/oven, microwave, toaster oven, blender, water boiler, percolator, French press, coffee grinder, hookah (BYO shisha & coals)
* Laundry - Washer & dryer in basement
*Ask for access to the outdoor pool & Jacuzzi (late May to early September) and indoor gym & dry sauna (year-round) in a loft building east of Downtown [$50 deposit for key fob (replacement cost if lost) / car required to enter]
* Guests have access to all guest rooms and public areas of the house: kitchen, dining room, basement laundry, etc. - all except my basement office and Gregg's under construction 2nd floor bedroom
I work from my office in the basement most days ~9am to ~5pm, and can be available for guests as needed. The Guest Home caretaker, Gregg Brazel, sleeps in the unfinished 2nd floor bedroom about half the time and is usually busy with work when at the house, but can also be available to assist guests. Gregg is moving to Detroit from Chicago to design and build shipping ecological container structures and has been constructing Guest Home improvements since April 2013.
Virginia Park is an old, authentic Detroit neighborhood; a quiet bedroom community named after the historic street 6 blocks south. If you are not used to urban living, its typically Detroit issues with abandonment and upkeep may appear off-putting. But the neighbors are very friendly, well used to the Guest Home, and happy to meet visitors. I encourage you to say hello to anyone on the street. That's the Detroit way!
* Peaches & Greens, 8838 3rd St - Fresh produce grocery 2 houses away owned by the amazing CDC (Community Development Corporation), featuring vegetables grown in the community garden across the street!
* Cafe Sonshine [sic], 8902 2nd Ave (1 block), CDC's hidden gem salt-free soul food restaurant 1 block away. The best place for authentic Detroit cuisine!
* King Cole Foods, 40 Clairmount St (3 blocks), Full grocery store, no alcohol
* Sam's Market, 760 Hazelwood St (across the street), Alcohol/snacks. Owned & operated by very friendly couple Rob & Gene, who moved to Detroit from Iraq in the '80s.
The Guest Home is right in the heart of Detroit, just 4mi/6.5km to downtown along our main central road, Woodward Ave (first paved road in the US!), and under 2mi/3km to Wayne State University.
* Local Bus: Catch downtown/suburb-bound buses (#53) 24/7 on Woodward Ave less than 2 blocks away, connect to major routes at the Rosa Parks and State Fair Transit Centers. Fare: $1.50 adult ($0.25 transfer/senior/disabled), Free for up to 3 children under 44" with adult. Pass: $14 5-day, $14.40 1wk, $27.50 2wks, $47 1mo ($17 senior/disabled, $49.50 regional 1mo)
* Bus Stations: Mega Bus station @Rosa Parks Transit Center, 1310 Cass Ave (Downtown) also stops at Wayne State University on the Cass Ave side of the WSU Barnes & Noble @82 Warren Ave W (Midtown). Greyhound station @1001 Howard St (Downtown)
* Taxi: $2.50 +$1.60/mi. ~$10/10mins to Downtown Detroit, ~$35-45/20mins to DTW airport
* Car: 1 block to M-10/Lodge Frwy, connects to I-75, I-94, I-275, M-14, M-59 & I-96/696 in minutes
* Train - Amtrak station, 11 W Baltimore Ave (New Center, 9 blocks). 1-way fare/time: $6/20m Dearborn/The Henry Ford, $10/25m Royal Oak, $11/30m Birmingham, $12/1h Pontiac, $12-17/1h Ann Arbor, Toledo $15/1h, $18/1.5h Jackson, $24/2.5h Battle Creek, $27/3h Kalamazoo, $34/4h East Lansing, $51/7h Saginaw, $53/5h Flint, $58-72/2.5h Cleveland, $57-78/5.5h Chicago, $61/4h Grand Rapids, $61/6.5h Port Huron
* Airplane - DTW airport in Romulus 32km/20mi west of Detroit
History to hipsters, Motown to mashups, "ruin porn" to DIY culture, urban gardens and some of the friendliest people you'll meet outside of Polynesia – Detroit holds so much for you to discover! Just let me know what you're interested in and I'll give you recommendations for eating out, bars, clubs, art, nature, biking, Urban Exploration (UrbEx), insider events & more. Detroit is a city of contrasts. Its reality is sometimes stark, often artistic, and always expressed from the Heart. Come experience Detroit from the inside. Whether here for a day or the season, you'll soon feel the Detroit Love that drives us.
A Word About Safety...
People routinely confuse poverty with danger. Detroit's violent reputation is long outdated. It's as (un)safe for visitors as any other big US city, and like most it looks worse than it is. Downtown is incredibly clean & secure - more so than many of our flashy suburbs! I simply advise guests to exhibit street smarts (look & walk confidently, be aware of your environment, avoid unpopulated areas, use the buddy system, etc.) and remove or hide GPSs, chargers and other valuables in cars. Touch wood, neither myself nor any of hundreds of guests or their vehicles as ever had any issue with crime in my neighborhood.
Please familiarize yourself with Airbnb's Moderate Cancellation Policy. In the event you need to cancel your reservation such that the policy doesn't allow for a full refund, I will credit you for the unrefunded amount toward a future stay. This credit is fully transferable (gift or sale) to anyone else - just let me know if you transfer it so I can update my records. Cancellation for any reason is subject to the above policies, including not seeing past Detroit's off-putting surface.
Nathan Rocks. Enough said.
I will add a bit more actually. My group of students that stayed with him forgot some things behind and he went above and beyond to send them back to us. He's a super nice host and would definitely recommend him!
it was a perfect home from home for us! thank you nathan for welcoming us so warmly and helping us with all our wishes! we enjoyed our stay very much! we will definitively stay at you house again when coming to detroit again!
Myself and three friends and one great dog came through Detroit while playing the fisher theatre for three weeks. It was the dead of winter with incredible amounts of snow and we spent three weeks huddled in Nathan's house. The stay was amazing. Nathan went above and beyond to insure we were all comfortable. He provided great insight on everything from what neighborhoods to check out to where to order delivery. The neighborhood did appear a little rough at first but after a while it really felt like home and I honestly felt very safe in what the media (and even our cab driver on the way to the house) assured me was an incredibly rough place. I'll definitely be returning should I make my way through Detroit again. Definitely stay here its a fantastic place with a great cause.
Super accueil de Nathan à Détroit. Il a été compréhensif avec nous alors que nous étions très en retard. La maison est splendide et très chaleureuse.
Nous y reviendrons !
Nathan is a great host - my crew and I were on a restoration job in Detroit and Nathan was a great help to our project before we even arrived at the guest house. It is conveniently located close to a main highway, but far away enough that you are in a neighborhood. I especially appreciated his policy of having the kitchen stocked with basics, and his consistent attention to promoting green living habits. We look forward to our next stay!
Nathan is a fantastic person an ideal host.
He helped us to improve our staying and manage our work in Detroit.
The house was comfortable and very well located.
The neighbors were friendly and gentle with us.
We really hope to have again one day the opportunity to stay at Nathan's house!!
If you're planning a visit to Detroit then Nathan's "Detroit Loves U" guesthouse is the place to stay! Nathan is a responsive and caring host and the accommodations were very comfortable. I enjoyed the hip decoration of the house, which is professionally cleaned on a regular basis and chatting with the other guests from around the World.
Let me start by saying this was my first booking with Airbnb.... And I was pleasantly surprised and relieved!! Though my girlfriends and I did not meet Nathan, we did meet Gregg who was not only kind enough to show us around the house, but also socialized with us and gave us great recommendations for the area! Although at first glance the neighborhood seemed a bit .... Unsettling... Don't judge a book by its cover! Myself and friends felt 100% safe and even socialized with several neighbors.... As most of our time at the house was spent on the front porch at all hours of the day!
The house itself is amazing! All 4 of us stayed in the Air Room, it was quite cozy and comfortable for everyone. Gregg even blew up a twin sized air mattress for us to use. Nathan is gracious enough to supply all linens and kitchen basics such as, coffee, tea, spices, etc .... Without a doubt in my mind I would book this room every time I travel to Detroit.
The feeling of "the Guest House" goes unmatched with any comparable hotel .... The hospitality and sense of community is what made this stay not only awesome but memorable as well. It was a pleasure having the opportunity to stay at this beautiful home.
We stayed in the Air Room for 2 nights (it was supposed to be 3, but airline eff-ups scuttled our arrival), and we thought it was great. Nathan and Gregg were super accommodating and communicative (we were originally supposed to arrive after midnight(!), and they had a plan all worked out for us; then, when we were delayed, they were understanding & flexible, even on short notice).
If you are tall (anywhere 5'8" & up?), beware that you might bump your head a couple times in the Air Room (it's the attic, which, otherwise, I think is adorable). You share a bathroom with whoever else is staying at the house (could be quite a lot of people if all rooms are booked), but it wasn't a problem. The futon we slept on was very comfy, the other is just your basic couch/bed futon (fine, as long as you're expecting a futon and not a fancy mattress :) ).
The location is super convenient to lots of neighborhoods by car and seemed very bikeable as well (though since we had a car we drove, being lazy/impatient like that). The neighborhood is a little run-down, sure, but no more so than most anywhere else in Detroit; we never felt unsafe. The city is obviously in transition and going through some tough patches currently, but it has a lot going for it. We saw a bunch of cool street art, great community projects (met incredibly nice & knowledgable locals exploring some of these), and weird/intriguing mixes of upscale rebuilding and abandoned buildings. It reminded us of home (Oakland, CA) quite a bit. Thanks for a great homebase on our first visit to Michigan, Nathan!
Nathan was an excellent host! Detroit was our very first stop on a week-long road trip that took us all over Michigan. We were running behind schedule leaving our home of Chicago, and Nathan was so kind and patient as he waited for us to arrive so that he could greet us and give us the tour. This spot is close to public transportation and just a short drive/bike ride to downtown Detroit and other attractions. We unfortunately did not have time to use the kitchen, but it was MASSIVE and well-stocked. Highly recommend Detroit Loves U Guest Home!