LOVE GLAMPING? Camping + Glamor!
Desert paradise with 2 domes & pool in Pioneertown, near Joshua Tree. Trails, boulders and views as far as the eye can see. Relax into artistic, off grid quietness, with lots of great things in the area to explore.
SUMMER SPECIAL !!!
$98/night Mon - Wed, 2 people
$125/night Thurs - Sun, 2 people
$25/ night, each additional person
Sleeps 8 (6 double beds, 2 rooms)
Outdoor camping can be provided with tents & mattresses for warmer months.
1st dome is 20 ft, decorated with unique artistry by Boyd Wilson Designs and has kitchenette, comfortable queen bed, full sofa bed, table with 4 chairs, and lots of windows. Wood burning stove, No A/C. No fridge, but has 3 coolers, Kitchen with basic gas stove/oven, utensils, etc.
The 2nd adjacent dome is a 22 ft. dome living room with huge windows, and is semi-open air but with walls and windows. It has 4 comfortable full size futon sofa/beds in front of the huge windows overlooking the views. Fire place and gas heater. Not insulated so cool in winter for sleeping.
1 rustic bathroom with toilet, sink, claw-foot bathtub and shower. (Functional but not beautiful, yet!)
12ft frame pool overlooking best view on the property!!!!
5 miles of dirt roads and you will be met where they begin and led in as it is confusing first time in. The dirt roads are fine for MOST cars. Not suited for RV's due to narrow lanes or motorcycles due to sandy patches. The roads have some wash board conditions, some sand build up and bumps in some areas.
Any car with 6 inch clearance is fine and does NOT need 4 wheel drive.
Ask me if you have any concerns.
Story of Dragonfly
Dragonfly is an alternative solar powered, off-the-grid, artistic, architectural and sculptural project that has been and will evolve over the next few years to its completion. As an artist and a designer, with a passion for alternative architecture, Dragonfly Desert Retreat represents a vision perhaps ¾ finished.
In 2006, I began designing, building and living for 4 years full time, with much fewer conveniences than it now has. While I am still working to complete the vision and make it more and more comfortable, the setting allows one to experience the pioneering spirit, and feel a deep connection to the exquisite natural surroundings.
My vision for the completed project are sculptural domes that compliment the natural environment. Please excuse unfinished areas as each month, progress is being made but it is always set up to be a beautiful appealing space for use. I am excited to be sharing it with those seeking a rich and unique desert experience!
There is enough Solar power to run laptops, lights, and charge cell phones but not enough to run fridge or other electrical appliances so leave hairdryers, blenders, music equipment at home.
It is comfortable and provides everything one needs for a beautiful desert retreat including WIFI.
PLEASE READ ALL HOUSE RULES BEFORE BOOKING to make sure Dragonfly meets your needs.
*Check in/out times can be flexible depending on other booking so please include ideal check in AND check out time.
* NO outside fires allowed.
Thank you, Magdalen Boyd-Wilson
Both domes, entire property, views and trails as far as the eye can see!
Interaction with Guests
Mainly by email
Wide open beautiful desert landscape!
Great for people attending Bhaktifest, Shaktifest and other Joshua Tree Festivals.
It's like having your own Joshua Tree National park with trails but without the people.
Joshua tree is 25 minutes away. Palm springs is 40 minutes.
Private, surrounded by undeveloped / BLM land.
At 4800 ft elevation you have cooler summers and sometimes snow in the winter.
No public transport.
Other Things to Note
ICE & Drinking Water
Wood (Spring, Summer and Fall)
Flashlights (there are some but please bring your own to be sure)
Plates, bowls, for 10 people
Glasses, plastic cups, mugs
Cooking utensils, silverware,
Seasonings, salt, pepper, vinegar, teas, coffee, canned condensed milk, extras that folks leave
Salad bowls, Pots and Pans,
Gas stove, kitchen sink, (small, basic kitchenette)
Cleaning supplies, dish soap, sponges,
Hand towels in bathroom, dish towel in kitchen
Wood (winter months)
When coming to Dragonfly you will be met and led in as the dirt roads are confusing first time round.
*IF YOU RUN LATE FOR THE MEETING TIME... there will be a charge of $10 for every half hour late, so please stay in touch with the person meeting you on the day of arrival.
1. No loud music, parties, generators
2. No dogs
3. No outdoor fires
4. Close the gate always and lock when you leave.
5. Keep arriving after 8pm, to minimal as possible
6. No signs on the gate
7. No trespassing on properties with homes. (You can hike in many directions, but stay on dirt roads in areas with homes.)
8. Replace flashlights, lighters and ALL house things to where you found them.
9. Secure doors from slamming due to strong gusts of winds.
10. Separate trash and recycling into designated cans that will be shown to you.
11. Everything on the premises is there for artful, or practical purposes. Do not take anything away such as stones, mementos, dead wood, etc. as they are part of the charm, and will be noticed if missing.
12. Many cell phones do not have reception in Pioneertown, but AT&T should have reception at the domes.
13. Print out maps and directions before coming out as most likely, GPS will go out of service en route.
14. There is a phone booster beside the bed (Must be plugged in). Put your phone in the pocket and your reception should increase making it possible to use on speakerphone or headset.
15. There is a free phone for you to make and receive calls on if your phone does not work well.
16. WIFI, Internet. Open network
17. PLAN AHEAD-Trick to keep food cold, freeze a few one gallon or half gallon bottles of drinking water or juice. (Use square bottles and leave expansion room in the bottle) They become ice blocks that don’t leak water and get your food wet, and you can drink them when they have melted.
18. Trick for keeping cool when out hiking is to wear a wet sarong on your shoulders. It will keep you 15 degrees cooler, plus it keeps sun off shoulders.
FIRE: A $500 fee will be charged if there is any fire made on the premises besides in the 2 inside designated areas.
1. Fire is extremely risky in Pioneertown. It spreads very quickly and can devastate the landscape for hundreds of years. NO FIRES OUTSIDE.
2. There is a wood-burning stove in the main dome and fireplace in the outer dome.
3. Be very careful, never leave fire unattended and always have a fire extinguisher ready and available. One is provided.
4. Be aware of people being irresponsible, or intoxicated who may make fire larger than necessary and causing risk to the structure, surrounding objects, rugs, etc.
5. DO NOT COLLECT FIREWOOD. Bring wood with you. During winter months, wood is provided.
NO SMOKING: Non-Smoking House
6. A $200 fee will be deducted from your Security Deposit if smoking occurs within the finished dome, or if cigarette butts are thrown on ground, inside or outside.
7. Use ashtrays and dispose in outside trash, carefully.
ELECTRICITY: Limited solar power (appliances will use up all the power).
8. NO ELECTRIC HEATERS, BLOW DRYERS, CURLING IRONS, REFRIGERATOR, STEREO SYSTEM, DESK TOP COMPUTER, TOASTER, COFFEE MAKER etc.
9. Unplug ALL electronics when not in use or done charging as they use power even when off.
10. Charge things during daylight if possible and conserve power for evening use.
11. Keep lights and laptops to a minimum but they can generally be used whenever needed.
12. If inverter is humming reduce whatever is being powered.
13. Water is trucked in. Conserve water. Don’t water desert plants. Don’t leave water running, and Please let us know if the toilet is running or not working.
14. Turn the pump on and off when not in use. Grey switch is outside dome.
15. Be conscious of your trash and haul away what you can. Please separate payable recycling from trash into containers. Have a bag for burnables and food waste can go outside for creatures and ravens.
16. Drive and park on cleared areas only. Do not pull up over bushes and desert plants, even if your vehicle is made for off road. If your guests are camping on the property, there is a lane that runs on 2 sides of property and cars can be parked along it to park near their campsite.
17. No clearing for campsites. $500 fee for any part of the property being cleared or altered, or stones taken, dried wood used for burning or taken as keepsakes.
18. Let me know in advance how many tents will be set up to ensure I have appropriate sites cleared.
•Please leave house tidy and in good order. Dishes can be left cleaned in drying rack.
•All lights should be turned off and doors to the premises closed, not locked.
One way to describe my experience at this beautiful property is magical. My friends and I arrived when it was raining so all 7 of us slept in the main yurt very comfortably. We all ended up sleeping there for both nights. The yurts are very beautiful and I felt very at home. The land that they are on is breathtaking - we didn't leave once during our stay. We spent the days grilling, hiking and rock climbing on the amazing rock formations that are scattered through out the valley. We spent the nights star gazing and sitting in front of the fire talking. We all had the most wonderful, calming and relaxing experience at this place and can't wait to go back again. Thank you!!
We were driving from Las Vegas to San Diego so this was the perfect 2 nite stop for us on the way. Our children ages 3 & 6 loved climbing all the rocks, exploring the area and playing in the domes, infact we didn't use our car once we arrived until we left. Terrain and sunsets were magical and everything was as Magdalen had described. I would definitely stay here again.
We had a fantastic stay at the Dragonfly Desert Retreat. Magdalen and Jordan were wonderful hosts and we thoroughly enjoyed our 3 days/nights in the Mojave - although it wasn't nearly enough time, and we all look forward to going back soon!
One note, make sure that you're driving an 4 wheel drive car - you will take about 7 miles of dirt roads get there and a majority of them have severe washboarding (and make sure not to add to the problem by going less than 25mph)!
Magdalen was very responsive, helpful, patient, and informative when it came to directions and details about the domes. Jordan who let us on to the property was very nice as well and gave us some great suggestions about hiking and activities near the site, not only Joshua Tree. I would absolutely recommend this to friends and family and look forward to visiting again soon.
Dragonfly was a-ma-zing. I shot a short film with my friends out there, and the location was from another dimension in the galaxy.
The best "Glamping" experience of my life, I've never seen so many stars before! Be sure to pack warm clothes and enjoy an evening Fire (pack extra wood too).
Would definitely come back to Dragonfly sometime in the future.
Unfortunately it rained during part of our stay which caused rain to leak into one of the domes. However we were given plastic sheets so we were still able to sleep on the wet beds. Having the fire place and the gas fire helped a lot. We ran out of water once but it was later refilled that same day. If you are a large group, you have to be very conscious about the water. Despite these issues, we still had a good time. Walking through Yucca valley was an amazing experience. The view was beautiful. Unfortunately we did not use the pool but hopefully next time.
The domes were AMAZING!! The whole trip was quite an adventure...there's very limited cell reception which I LOVED. The domes itself are beautiful (we only used the smaller dome for the bathroom as it was much cozier in the colorful, larger one). Jordan greeted us and was extremely helpful getting us set up and situated, explaining how everything worked. It was a perfect getaway from LA...my favorite parts were sitting by the fire, walking out to the deck to watch the sunset, standing outside and hearing completely silence, and the peace that came along with it. Only setback is that it rained on Sunday morning (the day we were leaving) and water started leaking inside from nearly every angle...definitely not build to withstand heavy rain.
I'd love to go back.
(I also may have left a makeup bag there so if anyone finds it please let me know)!!
This host has 10 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
I am an artist, designer. I had a dream of creating a beautiful dwelling to honor the human spirit in connection with natural surroundings and have finally reached a point of sharing it with people looking for a special vacation getaway. It is incomplete and I plan to sculpt the exterior when money permits. A life long dream takes time to unfold!