About this listing
LOVE GLAMPING? Camping + Glamor!
Desert paradise with 2 domes & POOL in Pioneertown, near Joshua Tree. Trails, boulders and views as far as the eye can see. Relax into artistic, off grid quietness, with lots of great things in the area to explore.
$95/night - (check Calendar as this rate varies) 2 people
$125/night - Weeknights (check Calendar as this rate varies) 2 people
$150-170/night - Fri & Sat, 2 people
$25/night, each additional person
Accommodates 6 comfortably... (6 double beds, 2 rooms only)
1st dome is 20 ft, decorated with unique artistry by Boyd Wilson Designs and has kitchenette, pillowtop queen bed, full sofa bed, table with 4 chairs, and lots of windows. Wood burning stove, no fridge, but has 2 coolers. Kitchen with basic gas stove, (oven portion not working), cooking utensils, spices, etc.
Swamp cooler for the hot summer!!!
Some wood provided Dec-Aril 1st. Let me know if you wish to purchase bundles and will provide them for $5/ bundle.
The 2nd adjacent dome is a 22 ft. dome living room with huge windows, and unfinished, uninsulated walls. It has 4 comfortable full size futon sofa/beds in front of the huge windows overlooking the views with fire place. Not insulated, so cold in winter for sleeping. (The top is now enclosed, unlike how shown in photos with open roof but still cold for sleeping in winter)
1 Rustic, very basic bathroom with toilet, sink, claw-foot tub and shower. (Functional yes, but not beautiful, yet!) There is a clean porta-potty for daytime and I ask that the bathroom toilet be used as a night time convenience only.
Bathroom TOWELS are NOT provided.
Small 12ft frame pool overlooking best view on the property!!!! (Only kept clean from May 15th- Oct 15th)
*Pictures make domes look bigger than they are because of wide angle lens, this is not intentionally misleading.
5 miles of dirt roads and you will be met on Parson Ranch Rd and led in as it is confusing first time in. The dirt roads are fine for MOST cars. Not suited for RV's due to narrow lanes or motorcycles due to sand. The roads have some wash board conditions, some sand build up and bumps in some areas.
Any car with 6 inch clearance is fine and people do NOT need 4 wheel drive. Ask me if you have any concerns.
Bring FLASH LIGHTS and keep 1 for the car. There is a combination lock on the gate and very hard to open in the dark.
Bring Candles as occasionally power runs out.
You WILL want at least 8 extra small candles around perimeter of rooms to keep the moth away from your face.
Dragonfly is unfinished, can be dusty and sometimes has mice or mouse droppings. We do all we can to keep it nice but it is not for those looking for a motel or normal house standards.
Story of Dragonfly
Dragonfly is an alternative solar powered, off-the-grid, artistic, architectural and sculptural project that has been and will evolve over the next few years to its completion. As an artist and a designer, with a passion for alternative architecture, Dragonfly Desert Retreat represents a vision perhaps ¾ finished.
In 2006, I began designing, building and living for 4 years full time, with much fewer conveniences than it now has. While I am still working to complete the vision and make it more and more comfortable, the setting allows one to experience the pioneering spirit, and feel a deep connection to the exquisite natural surroundings.
My vision for the completed project are sculptural domes that compliment the natural environment. Please excuse unfinished areas as each month, progress is being made but it is always set up to be a beautiful appealing space for use. I am excited to be sharing it with those seeking a rich and unique desert experience!
There is enough Solar power to run laptops, lights, and charge cell phones but NOT enough to run fridge or other electrical appliances so LEAVE hairdryers, blenders, music equipment AT HOME !!!
It is comfortable and provides everything one needs for a beautiful desert retreat including WIFI.
PLEASE READ ALL HOUSE RULES BEFORE BOOKING to make sure Dragonfly meets your needs.
* NO outside fires allowed.
* No guns or target practice allowed on the property or surrounding areas.
*Check in between at or after 3pm (ideally before 7pm) and check out at 1pm. Sometime this can be flexible depending on other bookings.
Thank you, Magdalen Boyd-Wilson
Guests get both domes, entire property, views and trails as far as the eye can see!
Wide open beautiful desert landscape!
Great for people attending Bhaktifest, Shaktifest and other Joshua Tree Festivals.
It's like having your own Joshua Tree National park with trails but without the people.
Joshua tree is 25 minutes away. Palm springs is 40 minutes.
Private, surrounded by undeveloped / BLM land.
At 4800 ft elevation you have cooler summers and sometimes snow in the winter.
No public transport, but Jordan sometimes drives guests when planned in advance.
Other Things to Note
ICE & Drinking Water
Wood (Spring, Summer and Fall)
Flashlights (there are some but please bring your own to be sure)
Plates, bowls, for 10 people
Glasses, plastic cups, mugs
Cooking utensils, silverware,
Seasonings, salt, pepper,
(Extras that folks leave behind include many seasonings, vinegar, teas, coffee, etc.)
Salad bowls, Pots and Pans,
French-press coffee maker,
Gas stove, kitchen sink, (basic kitchenette)
Cleaning supplies, dish soap, sponges,
Hand towels in bathroom, dish towel in kitchen
Wood (winter months)
When coming to Dragonfly you will be met and led in as the dirt roads are confusing first time round.
*IF YOU RUN LATE FOR THE MEETING TIME... there will be a charge of $10 for every half hour late, so please stay in touch with the person meeting you on the day of arrival and Make sure to PRINT both Meeting and Directions documents that will be emailed. You WILL need these.
1. No loud music, parties, generators
2. No dogs
3. No outdoor fires
4. Keep the large metal gate closed.
5. Keep arriving after 8pm, to minimal as possible
6. Please don't put signs on the gate
7. No trespassing on properties with homes. (You can hike in many directions, but stay on dirt roads in areas with homes.)
8. Replace flashlights, lighters and ALL house things to locations where you found them, or on the table.
9. Secure doors from slamming due to strong gusts of winds.
10. Separate trash and recycling into designated cans.
11. Everything on the premises is there for artful, or practical purposes. Do not take anything away such as stones, mementos, dead wood, etc. as they are part of the charm, and will be noticed if missing.
12. Many cell phones do not have reception in Pioneertown, but AT&T should have reception at the domes. I Now WIFI so most phones will work once at Dragonfly
13. Print out maps and directions before coming out as GPS will go out of service en route.
15. There is a free phone for you to make and receive calls on if your phone does not work well. (Within USA and Canada)
16. WIFI, Internet. Open network
17. PLAN AHEAD-Trick to keep food cold, freeze a few one gallon or half gallon bottles of drinking water or juice. (Use square bottles and leave expansion room in the bottle) They become ice blocks that don't leak water and get your food wet, and you can drink them when they have melted.
18. Trick for keeping cool when out hiking is to wear a wet sarong on your shoulders. It will keep you 15 degrees cooler, plus it keeps sun off shoulders.
FIRE: A $500 fee will be charged if there is any fire made on the premises besides in the 2 inside designated areas.
1. Fire is extremely risky in Pioneertown. It spreads very quickly and can devastate the landscape for hundreds of years. NO FIRES OUTSIDE.
2. There is a wood-burning stove in the main dome and fireplace in the unfinished dome.
3. Be very careful, never leave fire unattended and always have a fire extinguisher ready and available. One is provided.
4. Be aware of people being irresponsible, or intoxicated who may make fire larger than necessary and causing risk to the structure, surrounding objects, rugs, etc.
5. DO NOT COLLECT FIREWOOD. Bring wood with you. During winter months, wood is provided. Dec- through March. Ask if you want to purchase and I can have it there fro you at $5/bundle
NO SMOKING: Non-Smoking House
6. A $200 fee will be deducted from your Security Deposit if smoking occurs within the finished dome, or if cigarette butts are thrown on ground, inside or outside.
7. Use ashtrays and dispose in outside trash, carefully.
ELECTRICITY: Limited solar power (any additional appliances will use up all the power).
8. NO ELECTRIC HEATERS, BLOW DRYERS, CURLING IRONS, REFRIGERATOR, STEREO SYSTEM, DESK TOP COMPUTER, TOASTER, COFFEE MAKER etc.
9. Unplug ALL electronics/chargers when not in use or done charging as they DO use power even when not plugged into phones.
10. Charge things during daylight if possible and conserve power for evening use.
11. Keep lights and laptops to a minimum but they can generally be used whenever needed.
12. If inverter is humming reduce whatever is being powered.
13. Water is trucked in. Conserve water. Don't water desert plants. Don't leave water running, and Please let us know immediately if the toilet is running or not working as it can drain the entire water supply in short time!
14. Turn the pump on and off when not in use. Grey switch is outside dome.
15. Be conscious of your trash and haul away what you can. Please separate payable recycling from trash into containers. Have a bag for burnables and food waste can go outside for creatures and ravens.
16. Drive and park on cleared areas only. Do not pull up over bushes and desert plants, even if your vehicle is made for off road. If your guests are camping on the property, there is a lane that runs on 2 sides of property and cars can be parked along it to park near their campsite.
17. No clearing for campsites. $500 fee for any part of the property being cleared or altered, or stones taken, dried wood used for burning or taken as keepsakes.
18. Let me know in advance how many tents will be set up to ensure I have appropriate sites cleared.
•Please leave house tidy and in good order. Dishes can be left clean in drying rack.
•All lights should be turned off and doors to the premises closed, not locked.
I am an artist, designer. I had a dream of creating a beautiful dwelling to honor the human spirit in connection with natural surroundings and have finally reached a point of sharing it with people looking for a special vacation getaway. It is incomplete and I plan to sculpt the exterior when money permits. A life long dream takes time to unfold!