About This Listing
~ 36 private acres = privacy + 360 views
~ On site hiking: romantic lounging areas creekside or ocean view
~ 3 miles from breathtaking Garrapata Beach
~ In the Goldilocks Zone
~ Paved, private road
~ Free Aquarium Tickets
~ 2 unique retreats
"Wild Luxury on the Edge of the World"
Welcome to Heart Circle Mountain: 36 private acres of redwoods, mountains, and waterfalls. A unique balance of wilderness and luxury, sunny Heart Circle Mountain offers private on-site hiking, breathtaking views, and 2 private retreats. Each retreat includes carefully selected creature comforts and is on its own area of the property. The shared courtyard at the main house offers free wifi and is the perfect place to enjoy a morning cup of coffee, relax in the sun, share in a bonfire, or just gaze at the stars.
Please E-mail and or call for availability. The calendar may not reflect the most current reservations.
The Little Gem:
A cozy and romantic cabin with sweeping views. It features a queen tempur-pedic cast iron bed, Jotel wood-burning stove, full kitchen, and beautiful dining nook w/skylight gazing up into the towering redwood & madrone trees and a CD/IPod/Radio System. The kitchen is fully equipped for meal preparation with a four burner stove, oven and under-counter refrigerator. There is also an outdoor BBQ for all your grilling needs. Lace covered French doors separate the exquisite bathroom, with a claw foot steeping tub/shower and a stunning bowl sink on a redwood countertop. The Little Gem is built out of the finest materials including redwood, tumbled marble, and art glass lighting. The retreat is meticulously cleaned with non-toxic, eco and allergy friendly cleaners, is pet dander free, and features sparkling white linens line dried in the Big Sur sun.
Outside the wrap-around balcony with bistro dining area offers a breathtaking view of the valley below, ridges, and the surrounding forest. You can also relax in the 2 person hammock or dine on your own little mountain top terrace, filled with flowers and embraced by redwoods, madrones, and oaks. Gaze at the stars, unobstructed by city lights.
Heart Circle Mountain is in the Goldilocks Zone. Above the fog-line but below hotter and higher altitudes which can be buggy. Heart Circle has a unique and sunny microclimate that is filled with wildlife including deer, foxes, squirrels, quail, birds of prey and bobcats.
Our two private hiking trails lie just outside your door and promise a unique Big Sur experience with many lounge areas outfitted with 2-person hammocks, tables and chairs or benches, perfect for a picnic or a glass of wine.
The Waterfall Trail meanders through a redwood forest along a private section of Palo Colorado Creek and includes two lounge areas. The halfway point is the Forest Glen: a magical area on the creek with an old growth redwood fairy ring soaring overhead surrounded by a lush forest floor of sorrel and ferns. Continuing into the redwoods at the trails end you will find a second lounging area set in an intimate forest setting with a tranquil pool at the base of a 10 ft granite waterfall, surrounded by ferns, horsetails, redwoods and oaks.
The Zen Trail gently climbs up Garrapata Ridge and offers spectacular ocean, mountain, and valley views. The trail passes over our local fox’s den who might grace you with a sighting. At trails end you will find a magical lounging area nestled under a natural oak arbor with a view of the pacific ocean beyond and the dramatic ridge lines. A perfect spot to watch the red-tailed hawks and peregrine falcons fly overhead while enjoying gorgeous sunsets.
You won't have to drive anywhere to explore the beauty of Big Sur! Of course there are endless possibilities for many adventures along the coast or in the Ventana Wilderness a few miles away!
Interaction with Guests
We are available on site if you should need anything extra or are interested in getting additional recommendations on hikes, restaurants, etc. You can also just do a self check in and enjoy this magnificent country.
Our property is perfectly located on Big Sur's North Coast, atop a small mountain overlooking Palo Colorado Canyon and the Pacific Ocean beyond. Heart Circle Mountain is conveniently located just 2.2 miles from Highway 1. Enjoy all that Big Sur has to offer, yet remain only a 15-20 minute drive North to Carmel, and a 15-20 minute drive South to the Big Sur valley. Enjoy the best of both worlds, on the most scenic roads anywhere. No need to worry about dirt roads, as our retreats are located along our private paved road, which is traffic, mud and dust free.
Without a doubt, you will leave Heart Circle Mountain with a unique piece of Big Sur in your heart.
To the North:
~ Rocky Point Restaurant- 2.5 mi
~ Garrapata Beach/State Park- 3 mi
~ Soberanes Point and Canyon- 6 mi
~ Point Lobos State Reserve- 10 mi
~ Carmel- 12 mi w/ 80+ restaurants, art galleries and shops.
To the South:
~ Bixby Bridge and the Old Coast Road
~ Andrew Molera State Park- Miles of trails and beach and guided horseback rides.
~ Big Sur Valley- 12 mi w/restaurants, art galleries and shops.
To the East:
~ Scenic Palo Colorado Road, meanders inland and ends at Bottchers Gap Park with campground and hiking trails, offering breathtaking views of the Ventana wilderness and Mt. Pico Blanco.
~ Mill Creek Redwood Preserve is now open by permit only and is a few miles before Bottchers Gap!
To the West:
~Rocky Point to Castle Rock with the aqua blue Pacific Ocean crashing onto the shore.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Keywords: Private, Cabin, Romantic Retreat, Luxury, Ocean, Mountain, Redwoods, Big Sur
Car is necessary. Pull up on all paved roads to your retreat, no 4-wheel drive necessary.
Monterey (MRY): The closest airport, about 30-35 minutes away. You can sometimes find great deals flying in here.
San Jose (SJC): I usually fly into San Jose as it is a good balance between cost and proximity as it is only a little over 1.5 hrs away.
San Francisco (SFO): A little over 2 hours driving inland and a little over 2 driving the scenic Highway 1 (highly recommended).
Oakland (OAK): Can be the cheapest of the airports to fly into with a 2-2.5 hr drive.
Los Angeles (LAX): Driving time is about 5.5 to 6 hours inland and about 6- 6.5 hrs driving Highway 1 (highly recommended).
Other Things to Note
Rate includes 10.5% Monterey County Tax
2 Adults, 21 & Up, No Pets, No Children
Two Night Minimum. Three-Four Night Minimum for certain Special Events & Holidays*
*Rates are $50/night higher than stated rate for these periods: MLKJ, President’s Day, Easter, Big Sur Marathon, Mothers & Fathers Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Concours d’Elegance, Labor Day, Monterey Jazz Festival, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Years
We are happy to answer any questions!
We require guests to sign a Rental Agreement & Hold Harmless prior to arrival that covers house rules. No smoking, No children, No pets.
Information and Rental Agreement
This Information and Rental Agreement (the “Agreement”) is a legally binding agreement made and entered into as of the Reservation Date written above by and between the undersigned person(s) or company (the “Guest”) and the undersigned owner, manager or agent (“We”), pursuant to which the Guest has agreed to rent the residence(s) described below (the “Retreat”), for the duration of the Rental Term for the Total Rental Fee and other good and valuable consideration as described herein.
1. CHECK-IN time is between 4 and 8 P.M. PST. Staff member will meet Guest at check-in, unless a self check-in is arranged. CHECKOUT is 11 A.M. PST.
2. NO PETS; NO SMOKING; NO ALCOHOL ABUSE: This is a non smoking home. Smoking is allowed in outdoor gravel or concrete areas. No pets are allowed on premises. Please don’t drive under the influence on our private roads. If evidence is found related to any of these activities the Guest is responsible for all damage and/or odors that may occur. This would be considered a breach of this Agreement and the Guest may be asked to vacate; furthermore, Guest forfeits their right to return of any security deposit.
3. OCCUPANCY: The maximum number of Guests is limited to two (2) adult persons twenty-one (21) years of age or older per retreat. Only registered guests are allowed on premises.
4. HOLDING OVER: There shall be no holding over or late departure without prior approval. Any unauthorized holding over or late checkout by Guest shall be subject to a charge of $100/hour past checkout time on scheduled day of departure, and $1000 per day if after date of departure.
5. PAYMENT: Processed through Airbnb.
6. CANCELLATION POLICY: Please refer to the Airbnb policy for strict at (website hidden)_policies#strict_nav
Guest may choose to purchase travel insurance separately. See item number twenty (20).
7. SECURITY DEPOSIT: A security (damage) deposit of $300 is required 1 month prior to arrival. The deposit is NOT applied toward rent; however, it is fully refundable within (14) days of departure, provided the following provisions are met. For weekly rentals the deposit is $300 per week.
a. No damage is done to the home or its contents, beyond normal wear and tear.
b. No charges are incurred due to contraband, pets or collection of rents or services rendered during the stay.
c. All debris, rubbish and discards are placed in refuse containers outside, and soiled dishes pots are cleaned.
d.All keys are left on the counter and property is left locked.
e.All charges accrued during the stay are paid prior to departure.
f.Contents of home are not lost or damaged.
g. No early check-in or late check out.
(website hidden) extra cleaning charges are accrued.
i.Warning (Forest Cottage): There is a minimum $100 dollar charge if the Hot Tub is contaminated. Please follow the Hot Tub Rules & Warnings (#16) and the guidelines in the information booklet in Guests retreat to avoid a charge.
8. ADDITIONAL CHARGES: Additional charges may accrue if damage done exceeds the $300 per week security deposit. Potential damages that could accrue additional charges are as follows:
a. Chip, permanent scratch, water damage or other irreparable damage to sink, tub, or countertops. Finishes are not commercial grade, and antique finishes are delicate and are not intended to withstand water, heat or cutting. Please note walls are Venetian Plaster and cannot be scrubbed like painted walls.
b. Damage to antique tables (Forest Cottage) or other irreparable damage to any piece of furniture, in whole or part.
Any fire damage (Little Gem): The wood stove is only to be used in the Winter.
d. Alcohol abuse is suspected. Any signs of neglect, irresponsible or dangerous behavior will be met with additional charges. If any bodily fluids, such as vomit, are found, the renter will be charged an additional fee for extra cleaning. Due to extreme fire danger, if abuse of alcohol is suspected, additional charges will be incurred for putting Heart Circle Mountain, its buildings, contents, and owners at risk.
c. Irreparable damage to any part of the home or its contents that results in more than $300 worth of damage. Please remember that this is a home, and is not a commercial business. Some items are one of a kind, and all items are expected to withstand light use. Repairs will be made by licensed contractors.
9. MINIMUM STAY; RATE CHANGES: Longer minimum stays may be required during premium dates. During this time, if a rental is taken for less than three nights, the guest will be charged the three-night rate, if deemed applicable. Rates subject to change without notice.
10. INCLUSIVE FEES: Rates include a once weekly linen-towel cleaning for weekly stays. Please call ahead and arrange drop-off and pick-up of linens and towels. Amenity fees are included in the rental rate.
11. NO DAILY MAID SERVICE: While linens and bath towels are included in the home, daily maid service is not included in the rental rate, however is available at an additional rate. We have beach towels available upon request. We do not permit towels or linens to be taken from the home.
12. FALSIFIED RESERVATIONS: Any reservation obtained under false pretense will be subject to forfeiture of advance payment, deposit and/or rental money, and the party will not be permitted to check in.
13. ENTRY: Owners have permission to enter rental if necessary. This can include suspicion of rental rules being broken, problems with electricity, plumbing, or other problems with structural features within or out.
14. PARKING: Parking is limited to (1) vehicle per retreat, with required description as per contract (see page 6). Vehicles are to be parked in designated parking areas only. Parking on the road is not permitted. Any illegally parked cars are subject to towing; applicable fines/towing fees and is the sole responsibility of the vehicle owner.
15. WATER AND SEPTIC: The retreats use well well water and private septic systems. The mineral content in the water is high and the water is not approved by the Monterey County Health Department, drink at Guest’s own risk. The septic system is very effective; however, it will be damaged if improper material is flushed. PLEASE DO NOT FLUSH anything other than toilet paper. No feminine products should be flushed at anytime. If it is found that feminine products, paper towels, baby wipes, or any other non toilet paper items have been flushed and damages the septic system, Guest will be charged damages including but not limited to the $300 security deposit. Guest will be held responsible for the full amount of damage done. A licensed contractor will do all repairs.
16. Hot Tub Rules & Warnings (Forest Cottage): When using the hot tub please follow these rules: 1. Shower with soap before use. 2. No food, drink, soaps, oils, or bath salts in the hot tub. 3. No contaminants in the hot tub including but not limited to bodily fluids and other debris. Failure to follow these rules will result in a minimum of $150.00 charged against Guest’s security deposit. Also, please remember there is a certain health risk associated with this facility, use at own risk. Our housekeepers sanitize, and replenish chemicals in all tubs prior to Guest’s arrival. If the hot tub had to be drained, the tub may not be hot until later in the evening or the following morning of Guest’s arrival! [DO NOT STAND or SIT ON THE HOT TUB COVER. The Hot Tub cover is for insulation and protection purposes and is not designed to support a person or persons. It will break and Guest may be charged for replacement.] Remember when not using the hot tub, leave cover on so hot tub will stay warm and will stay free of debris. Please turn down the temperature upon check-out or when not in use, in order to save electricity.
17: REASONABLE USAGE: Guest shall use the retreat for vacation purposes only and in a careful manner to prevent any damage or loss to the retreat and keep the retreat in clean and sanitary condition at all times. Guest agrees to comply with any and all rules and regulations posted on the premises or delivered to Guest. Guest shall refrain from loud noise and shall not disturb, annoy, endanger, or inconvenience neighbors, nor shall Guest use the Property for any immoral, offensive or unlawful purposes, nor violate any law, association rules or ordinance, nor commit waste or nuisance on or about the property.
18: CONDITION OF PREMISES: Equipment and facilities are provided at our discretion and while every attempt is made to ensure that such equipment is in working order for the duration of the rental period, should a breakdown or some other situation occur that renders the equipment or facilities unusable, We do not accept responsibility for refunding the Guest for the lack of use of these equipment or facilities. The equipment and facilities referred to include (but are not exclusive to) such items as kitchen appliances, sound systems, televisions, DVD players, internet access, & hot tubs. Please let us know if any issue arises and We will make our best effort to remedy the situation.
19. AVAILABILITY OF PROPERTY: Although We do everything possible to make Guests stay as carefree and relaxing as possible We cannot control or be responsible for weather or any other unforeseen circumstances that may affect Guest’s stay. There are no refunds for natural disasters, or other major events that are out of our control. In the event whereupon the property is unavailable for use during the Rental Term due to such events or circumstances beyond our control the Rental Agreement shall be terminated and We shall have no further obligations or liabilities in any manner pertaining to this Agreement. We thus recommend purchasing travel insurance especially during the winter months.
20. TRAVEL INSURANCE: Guest agrees that all rental monies may be non-refundable per cancellation policy and availability of property policies above. Guest has read rights to purchase travel insurance. We recommend (website hidden) or http://(email hidden) (Travel Insurance and/or Damage Protection).
21. WRITTEN EXCEPTIONS – Any exceptions to the above mentioned policies must be approved in advance in writing.
HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY
1.I hereby release, waive, discharge and covenant to hold harmless Brianne Hall and Andrew Hall, “Heart Circle Mountain”, Brianne Hall Family Trust and/or property located at 37739 Palo Colorado Rd, Carmel, CA 93923, its officers, staff, servants, agents, and employees (hereinafter referred to as "releasees") from any and all liability, claims, demands, actions and causes of action whatsoever arising out of or relating to any loss, damage or injury that may be sustained by me, or to any property belonging to me, whether caused by the negligence of the releasees, or otherwise, while staying on the property located at 37739 Palo Colorado Road, or while in, on or upon the premises where various outdoor activities are being conducted, while in transit to or from the premises, or in any place or places connected with the property located at 37739 Palo Colorado Rd, Carmel, CA 93923.
2.I am fully aware of risks and hazards connected with being on the premises and participating in various outdoor activities, and I am fully aware that there may be risks and hazards unknown to me connected with being on the premises and participating in the various outdoor activities located on the property at 37739 Palo Colorado Rd, Carmel, CA 93923, and I hereby elect to voluntarily participate in various outdoor activities, to enter upon the above named premises and engage in activities knowing that conditions may be hazardous, or may become hazardous or dangerous to me and my property. I voluntarily assume full responsibility for any risks of loss, property damage or personal injury, including death, that may be sustained by me, or any loss or damage to property owned by me, as a result of my being a participant in various outdoor activities located on the property at 37739 Palo Colorado Rd, Carmel, CA 93923 whether caused by the negligence of releasees or otherwise.
3.I further hereby agree to indemnify and save and hold harmless the releasees and each of them, from any loss, liability, damage or costs they may incur due to my participation in various outdoor activities located on or while in transit to or from the premises, or in any place or places connected with the property located at 37739 Palo Colorado Rd, Carmel, CA 93923, whether caused by the negligence of any or all of the releasees, or otherwise.
(website hidden) is my express intent that this Release shall bind the members of my family and spouse, if I am alive, and my heirs, assigns and personal representative, if I am deceased, and shall be deemed as a Release, Waiver, Discharge and Covenant to hold harmless (sue) the above named releasees.
5.If any dispute arises among the aforementioned parties, they agree first to try in good faith to settle the disputes by mediation administered by an association such as the American Arbitration Association (AAA) under its Commercial Mediation Rules. All unresolved disputes shall then be decided by final and binding arbitration in accordance with the Commercial Arbitration Rules of an association such as the AAA. Fees charged by any mediators, arbitrators or an association such as the AAA shall be shared equally by all parties. All disputes and or arbitrations shall be settled in Monterey County, CA.
In signing this release, I acknowledge and represent that:
A.I have read the foregoing release, understand it, and sign it voluntarily as my own free act and deed, and acknowledge that I am not under the influence of any substance such as alcohol or drugs, and that I am right mind and body;
(website hidden) oral representation, statements or inducements, apart from the foregoing written agreement, have been made;
C.I am at least twenty-one (21) years of age and fully competent; and
D.I execute this Release for full, adequate and complete consideration fully intending to be bound by same.
EI have read and will abide by the conditions and agreements listed under Information and Rental Agreement.
1st Guest: Accepted By_______________________________________________________
Drivers License: State and # /or Passport # ________________________________________
Home and Cell Phone Number _______________________/_________________________
Emergency Contact Name and Phone #: _________________________________________
2nd Guest: Accepted By______________________________________________________
Drivers License: State and # /or Passport # _______________________________________
Home and Cell Phone Number _____________________/__________________________
Emergency Contact Name and Phone #: ________________________________________
Vehicle Information: Plate #____________________ Color: _______________
Make: _________________ Year:_______________
(Rental Car Information can be phoned in day of arrival)
Note: This section must be completed with all information requested by all guests staying at Heart Circle Mountain.
What an amazing little place! The Little Gem was the perfect spot to spend 2 nights while visiting the Central CA coast. Situated down an amazingly picturesque road lined with towering redwoods and amazing homes, the Little Gem fit right into its surroundings. The cabin came equipped with everything one would need to enjoy either one night or many. This included a full bathroom with an amazing tub and a small kitchenette that was stocked with whatever you may need. The bed was super comfortable as well. Highly recommended!
Great place, great experience. Would definitely do it again! They were super accommodating with directions and information about the area. They were available for any questions we had leading up to the trip and while we were staying with them. Tickets to the aquarium were a bonus!
The Little Gem is my favorite. Imagine driving through a woodsy neighborhood into your own space that is uniquely big sur, welcomed by a cozy cabin lit with christmas lights. It's the perfect amount of space with an adorable deck for breakfasts, playing cards, and writing poetry. The wood burning stove makes everything come together when you light it. I recommend bringing a record player and Shakey Graves' "And The War Came." Take a hike up to the top of the mountain and see the ocean in the distance, followed by an incredible shower that makes you feel like you just left a spa. Skip the Hyatt. Stay at the gem, relax in the hammock, and meet Honey. The most adorable pup in Big Sur. I made some memorable moments in this cabin and felt like home. Thanks, Brianne and Andrew!
This spot fit our needs perfectly. The dark night and bird-filled daytime was just what we needed for relaxation. Brianne and Andrew have a beautiful secluded place that is very accessible. The Little Gem is truly that; It has everything one could want, is spotless, and they were unobtrusively responsive to our needs. We only wish we could have stayed longer.
This host has 24 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Brianne
We are the owners of Heart Circle Mountain and have lived here for the past 14 years trying to make the property and retreats gorgeous and welcoming. We have a collective background in Interior and Environmental design. We love caring for this beautiful land and exploring the wilderness and beaches surrounding us. We are happy to be able to offer some time away from it all, for others to rejuvenate in this Big Sur paradise.
We look forward to meeting you!
~Brianne & Andrew
Private By Permit Only! A 2 ¾ mile hike each way on a well-maintained trail that passes beautiful streams and a waterfall ending up on a gorgeous outlook over the golden hillsides and pacific ocean.Palo Colorado Rd CA 93923
Just 8 min away w/ the most amazing coastal views in Big Sur and amazing food!Highway 1 Carmel CA 93923
The Northern entrance to the Ventana Wilderness with panoramic views of the Little Sur River drainage, La Ventana and Mt. Pico Blanco. Miles of trails accessible just a short drive up our canyon .Big Sur CA 93465
An island in the sky oftentimes when driving over hurricane point. Great tours of the historic lighthouse and amazing views of the coast!CA 93920
Miles of wonderful hiking trails along the coast and inland in a gorgeous redwood forest or up the coastal ridges.Carmel CA 93923
Gorgeous vistas and hikes along the rugged coast. You can swim in the lagoon the Big Sur River forms or walk on the rugged beach that stretches for miles. There are also horseback tours!California
A must see on the Central Coast! Gorgeous vistas, rocky beaches, crashing waves, coves, spanish moss, and wonderful tide pools.California