About this listing
Quirky seaside loft set high in the trees (and accessed by boardwalk) features deck with harbour view (sunsets, whales, sailboats); skylight-lit dining nook; snug double bed with ocean view; and enough floorspace to practice your tango moves.
Quirky seaside studio apartment set high in the trees (and accessed by boardwalk) features deck with harbour view (fabulous sunsets, seals, whales, sailboats); skylight-lit dining nook; snug double bed with ocean view; and enough floorspace to practice your tango moves. 15 minute walk to gorgeous swimming lake, 5 minute walk to bus-stop, 15 minute drive to downtown Halifax (restaurants, festivals, shows...), 1 minute walk to kayak launching point, and plenty of hiking, biking, adventuring and relaxing. Self-catering - fridge, gas stove, assorted pots and pans. Blissfully free of TV and telephone, there is a large collection of books, records, and cassettes, as well as sometimes-spotty wifi if you get desperate for distraction.
***This is my personal home, and full of my favourite things, my art collection, my antique record collection, etc. I like to know as much as possible about you so I can be sure to leave my place in the 'right hands' while I'm away.
If you have not stayed with me before, be sure to write me with the full names of ALL guests, who you 'are', what you do, why you're interested in my place in particular, and whether you're the kind of person who takes pleasure in leaving a place in better condition than you found it. Since I don't live in the area, and my place tends to be in rather high demand, I do ask my guests to get the apartment all ready for the next arrivals (bed made, dishes washed and put away, floors swept, vacuumed, and mopped, etc whatever you can think of).
***When you write to ask about the apartment, be sure to tell me if this is the sort of thing that appeals to you.
The apartment and deck are yours for the duration of your stay. There is also a convenient parking space tucked in the trees nearby.
Interaction with Guests
- When you come to visit, I will almost certainly be out of town (otherwise I'd be staying there and you wouldn't be able to), and will have a friend or neighbour looking in on the place to make sure it's ship shape and ready for you. Please communicate with me by email and text message so that I can help to get you set up for an awesome visit!
- In order that I don't have to charge a cleaning fee, I ask my guests to leave the place in better shape than they found it so it's nice and ready for the next guest! When you write to me, be sure to tell me all about how keen you are on making it clean and beautiful!
- check in is at 3 pm, check out at 11 am, unless the Studio isn't booked before/after, in which case it's flexible. Please discuss your needs with me.
Just on the outskirts of Halifax and a 20 min drive to the city core, Purcell's Cove is one of those unique places in the world with a real 'getaway' feel. My immediate neighbours are artists, writers, filmmakers and yoga teachers. I grew up just next door (and my mum still lives there), and can give you tips on what to see and visit while you stroll around.
The area is accessible by public bus, but it runs only once/hour. There is a kayak put-in point next door, and a parking space convenient to the boardwalk. Most of my guests use their car or a rental, but many do opt for public transit with no complaints (you can read their reviews on this site)
Other Things to Note
- check in is at 3 pm, check out at 11 am, unless the Studio isn't booked before/after, in which case it's flexible.
- The walls are slope-y (it's an attic) so the bath is a bathtub w handheld shower, and the tall will need to slouch at the sink.
- I've recently completed some repairs and renovations (newly refinished floor! new paint job!, new shelving!). The bathroom is still 'old-school' however, blessed with an ancient-scratched-enamel tub (clean! but it LOOKS dirty!), and mismatched tiles. Like I said: Bohemian!
- The Studio is filled with plants. They are the leafy air-purifying kind (like spider plants), not flowering.
- If you love love love my place, and there are only 2 nights available (but my minimum says 3), write to me and ask. If you seem like the right fit, I may well invite you to stay.
Thank you for your interest in the Bohemian Studio! It's a lovely place, and my personal home, and I hope you enjoy the space as much as I do.
I ask for a security deposit in order to cover any costs for repair, replacement or cleaning. This will be refunded to you as soon as my caretaker or I get back to the apartment and confirm that everything is fine. Which it will be, right? Because you are the kind of person who loves the place!
I will email you a full house-manual, containing all the tips and tricks you'll need to get everything working right, but in the meanwhile, here are a few basic rules to help you get the most out of your experience:
-Please respect my home and its contents
-2 guests maximum (and because it is a 'standard' double bed, against a wall, singles or couples preferred). Mature professionals preferred.
-Please be mindful of my neighbours - the closest one has a deck almost overlooking mine, so loud noise should be avoided in the evenings. There are sometimes yoga classes on in the studio downstairs, so you'll need to be quiet and mindful during those times as well.
I ask that you leave the house in as good (or better) shape as when you found it, so I don't have to charge a cleaning fee. Cleaning supplies are provided for your convenience (this includes: sweeping, mopping, bathrooms and stripping of sheets/pillowcases from the bed), as well as making up the bed for the next guest, and washing and putting away any dishes).
-Unless otherwise negotiated, check OUT is at 11 am and check IN is at 3 pm to give us time to make sure the place is ship shape and ready for your visit. We are very flexible on this, however, so if you need to stay a little later or arrive a little earlier, just discuss it with me and we'll see what we can do!
-Please, no candles or other fire.
-Garbage, composting, and recycling should be put out Thursday evenings, as well as when you leave. I know it's complicated, but please take the time to read the instructions on how this all works. Nova Scotia has quite sophisticated waste management
-When you leave, please turn off all the lights, fans, heaters, stereo, etc.
I also require all guests to sign a liability waiver, releasing me and the property owner from all potential future claims associated with your use of the property. There are printed copies waiting for you in the apartment for you to sign when you arrive. If you'd like me to email you a copy in advance, just let me know.
Most of all - I hope you have a wonderful visit to my beautiful home. I will do my best to ensure that you have everything you need, and I hope you'll let me know if there's anything I can do to make it even better.
Stop and enjoy the small deck garden, as you take in the view. Glass panels in the railings so your view of the seals is unobstructed...
Consultant, writer, planner, world traveller, and sometimes (non-flaky) yoga teacher. I am a naturalist and ecologist and storyteller, and am to be found designing exhibits and small museums; consulting on heritage tourism; training guides and interpreters; or myself interpreting the incredible story of one of Canada's national parks. I currently am based in Gros Morne National Park in Newfoundland, but have my 'home base' just outside Halifax. You can read all about it here on Airbnb.
I am often away, working or travelling, and when I am, my beautiful sanctuary is available for lucky you!