Quirky seaside studio apartment set high in the trees (and accessed by boardwalk) features deck with harbour view (fabulous sunsets, seals, whales, sailboats); skylight-lit dining nook; snug double bed with ocean view; and enough floorspace to practice your tango moves. 15 minute walk to gorgeous swimming lake, 5 minute walk to bus-stop, 15 minute drive to downtown Halifax (restaurants, festivals, shows...), 1 minute walk to kayak launching point, and plenty of hiking, biking, adventuring and relaxing. Self-catering - fridge, gas stove, assorted pots and pans.
This is my personal home, and full of my favourite things, my art collection, my antique record collection, etc. I like to know as much as possible about you so I can be sure to leave my place in the 'right hands' while I'm away. Please be sure to write me with the full names of all guests, who you 'are', what you do, why you're interested in my place in particular, and whether you're the kind of person who takes pleasure in leaving a place in better condition than you found it. Since I don't live in the area, and my place tends to be in rather high demand, I do ask my guests to get the apartment all ready for the next arrivals (bed made, dishes washed and put away, floors swept, vacuumed AND mopped, etc whatever you can think of). Is this the sort of thing that appeals to you?
Other things you might like to know:
- The Studio is filled with plants. They are the leafy air-purifying kind (like spider plants), not flowering.
- Television and telephone-free so you have plenty of thinking time (there is sometimes-spotty wifi access if you get desperate for distraction!).
- The outdoor deck and railings have grown old and rickety, so this is not a good place for children.
- The walls are slope-y (it's an attic) so the bath is a bathtub w handheld shower, and the tall will need to slouch at the sink.
- I've recently completed some repairs and renovations (newly refinished floor! new paint job!, new shelving!). The bathroom is still 'old-school' however, blessed with an ancient-scratched-enamel tub (clean! but it LOOKS dirty!), and mismatched tiles. Like I said: Bohemian!
- The area is accessible by public bus, but it runs only once/hour.
- In order that I don't have to charge a cleaning fee, I ask my guests to leave the place in as good a shape (or better) as when they found it so it's nice and ready for the next guest! When you write to me, be sure to tell me all about how keen you are on making it clean and beautiful!
- check in (email hidden), check out at 11 am, unless the Studio isn't booked before/after, in which case it's flexible.
- I don't have pets. That said, however, there is a cat who lives next door and sometimes drops by to visit. You might also sometimes hear his footsteps on the roof.
- If you love love love my place, and there are only 2 nights available (but my minimum says 3), write to me and ask. If you seem like the right fit, I'll most likely invite you to stay.
Even more info you might like to know:
Here are a few basic rules to help you get the most out of your experience:
-Please respect my home and its contents
-2 guests maximum (and because it is a 'standard' double bed, against a wall, singles or couples preferred). Mature professionals preferred.
-Please be mindful of my neighbours - the closest one has a deck almost overlooking mine, so loud noise should be avoided in the evenings. There are sometimes yoga classes on in the studio downstairs, so you'll need to be quiet and mindful during those times as well.
- I ask that you leave the house in as good (or better) shape as when you found it, so I don't have to charge a cleaning fee. Cleaning supplies are provided for your convenience (this includes: sweeping, mopping, bathrooms and stripping of sheets/pillowcases from the bed), as well as making up the bed for the next guest, and washing and putting away any dishes).
-Unless otherwise negotiated, check OUT is at 11 am and check IN (email hidden) to give us time to make sure the place is ship shape and ready for your visit. We are very flexible on this, however, so if you need to stay a little later or arrive a little earlier, just discuss it with me and we'll see what we can do!
-Please, no candles or other fire.
The Bohemian Seaside Studio was a lovely and relaxing place to stay. My husband and I stayed there for five days during our East Coast Honeymoon Adventure in October. The seaside location is private and peaceful, yet an easy drive to Halifax and other attractions (while there we went to Lunenburg and Peggy’s Cove for a day trip). It was a nice place to put up our feet and unwind after a day of sightseeing. The views from the deck, windows and skylights are amazing, while the sound of rain on the roof and skylights overnight was very soothing. The location is the perfect combination of natural beauty and proximity to Halifax and other attractions.
I would highly recommend staying at the Bohemian Seaside Studio while in Halifax, especially if you want a quiet getaway.
Mu husband and I stayed at Bohemian Seaside Studio and would recommend anyone who enjoys a peaceful environment to try it. The studio is well equipped and very comfortable. We enjoyed watching the sailboats and the large container ships in the harbour. We especially liked the guest book with suggestions on where to eat and things to do. Monique was also very helpful with suggestions and texted us to make sure everything was Ok and going well during our stay.
The studio is a short drive from Halifax and we had no trouble finding it. Parking is right by the walkway which is helpful as well.
We had one rainy day during our stay and the sound of the rain on the skylight was soothing and the small electric fireplace made the studio so cosy!!
This seaside studio was an incredible place to stay, and a perfect home base to both enjoy Halifax and many hikes outside of the city.
We had a terrific stay at Munju's charming studio. The place was clean, welcoming, functional, eccentric and very charming. We couldn't have asked for a more perfect studio and setting. The place is very quiet, with only the sound of the waves to carry your thoughts and your dreams. It has everything you need to relax and enjoy yourself (great music collection? All the cooking utensils needed to make a feast? a lovely patio overlooking the water? yes!).
While it's not exactly in the heart of Halifax, we found it very easy to commute without a car from the studio to the city (the bus is very punctual!) and then back to the studio either by bus or by cab (approx $25).
Munju herself was a great host - very responsive, answered questions fast, attentive and flexible. We loved the vibe of the place, the decor and all the special touches.
I highly recommend this place if you're looking for some peace and quiet in a beautiful decor (both inside and outside - go explore the area!), with easy access to the city.
This was a beautiful place -airy and full of light with stunning views over the mouth of the harbour. The visiting cat was full of affection and a welcome addition to a very hospitable place. We ended up eating in more than I'd planned because we wanted to take advantage of every moment at the apartment - and there was a very serviceable little barbeque. I would recommend this to anyone looking for something out of the ordinary.
We had a fabulous time at the lovely Bohemian Seaside Studio. Even though our visit coincided with three straight days of rain, this place was absolutely perfect for snuggling with some good wine, books, and music while listening to the sounds of the rain and sea outside. It was great to have a quiet little haven so close to the city.
What a wonderful place to stay. Relaxing and private. A sea breeze to keep your mind alert and fresh. This is a special place and it is very calm there. A little tricky to find but that is a good thing.
We loved staying at Monique's. We had just spent the weekend in a rural area and the studio proved to be just what we needed, an inspiring home surrounded by natural beauty (hello harbour! hello purcell's pond!!) that easily allowed for urban discoveries. Thanks Monique!
This is a great place to stay when visiting the Halifax area if you're looking for something a bit off the beaten path but still super convenient to downtown Halifax. We'd go out exploring during the day and return to our little hideaway to enjoy a glass of wine while the sun was setting. Apt was exactly as described on airbnb and eventhough we never had the pleasure of meeting Munju the "check in and check out" process was stress free. Since we were visiting in August we spent most of our time on the deck overlooking the water. Another great plus is perusing her vinyl album collection and playing them on the turntable. Brought back memories of fun times.
We had a wonderful experience at Monique's Bohemian Seaside Studio. Everything was exactly as described and communicating with Monique was very easy. Not only is the property charming and clean it is also in a location that just cannot be beat. It is just far enough from downtown Halifax to feel like you are away from the busyness but just a short drive from the heart of the city.
We have absolutely no complaints and would love to be guests of Monique again!