About This Listing
Special rate for bookings of weekly bookings or longer, between May 26 - June 2. And also June 7-17th. Please Read our reviews and Inquire for details.
A truly wonderful Location!
The very best spot to meet San Francisco.
Feb 2015. We just upgraded the bedding in this room to a collection from Pottery Barn -"Rosalie". I wish we had this when the room was professionally photographed!
* Cozy does not imply small! This approx. 170 sq ft sunny room is surrounded with warm 109 year old original wood paneling. It has a queen bed, (great mattress!), and shares a bathroom with one other room, (just the host). We supply all linens, and towels.
* So many of our guests over the years have been return-guests or have been referred by their friends. Please look over some of our reviews and you will get a good idea of the experience we offer.
* Host has written numerous San Francisco restaurant reviews for several national publications as well as a cookbook featuring San Francisco's Victorians, published for the Victorian Alliance of San Francisco. We can recommend places in all price ranges and cuisines.
* The exterior of the building is a stunner! It has been featured in many books and magazines throughout the years. This house has also been the home of many well-known Broadway and film actors over the years who were temporarily in SF for work.
* Upon request- guests planning a move to San Francisco can get a head-start on the market while staying with us. Host is a licensed practicing Realtor, specializing in residential San Francisco sales and rentals.
* We are locals and can offer a unique experience to anyone visiting San Francisco. We offer our guests complimentary extra's including wine or tea in one of the famous "Painted Ladies" on Postcard Row, and/or wine or tea on the owner's private roof deck (with views of Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, and the Bay). Given the layout of the house, the deck is only available with the host- and should be considered an "extra" not an "amenity" guaranteed with booking.
Kitchen is not available.
Interaction with Guests
* We interact as much or as little as the guest would like. We try to follow your cue!
* We are within 2 blocks of all that is fun and exciting in North Beach, but tucked away on a romantic and quiet spot. The wharf is 3-4 blocks away... close enough to hear the sea lions barking in the distance on some nights. the views and atmosphere in this neighborhood are undiluted "San Francisco"
* There are Cable Cars about 2 blocks away. there are a variety of bus lines 1/2 block to 3 blocks away. Bike rentals are 2 blocks away. Tour bus lines are three-four blocks away at the wharf.
Other Things to Note
* We have regularly allowed guests to bring family or friends for a glass of wine to our "painted lady"- by mutual agreement and prior arrangement.
* Check in is by arrangement.
* Check in is prior to 10PM (of course we will accommodate flight delays). We can discuss a check in later than 10 PRIOR to booking- and if we can come to some agreement, try to be flexible. We do not want to disturb other guests in the middle of the night.
* Inform the host with your request if there will be more than one arrival time/check-in with your party.
*Every guest must be checked in and welcomed by the host.
* We do need to have your arrival information including flight number/airline in case there are any delays and also how you plan on coming from the airport.
* To preserve the privacy and security of the host and other guests, no unregistered guests on property. Absolutely no parties.
* We like to fit into the neighborhood and ask that you never block a neighbors driveway. Double park please with flashers on.
* We are completely non-smoking however you can smoke outside.
* Occasionally one of my Golden Retrievers, Ebba or her daughter, Elsa Vega, visit or stay in the host area. They are not allowed in guest areas. Please notify us prior to arrival if you do not like dogs. It is no problem to leave them at our other house.
* Check-out is by 11:00 AM firm. We can hold bags after 11AM (by prior arrangement, made upon check in).
George and his friend Bill were completely responsive and helpful. They responded immediately, kept me informed throughout, and welcomed us on arrival. They were so kind and welcoming and made us feel right at home.
The room is so cool and historic. It is in an incredible location and a great deal.
All around it was a great experience and I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.
George was away while we were there, and Bill hosted us. He was very helpful and we liked him very much. Thanks Bill for everything you did for us! Very comfy bed and pillows. We felt a bit confined, because there is no use of the LR or the kitchen, but we knew that before we came. Location can't be beat!
George was incredibly welcoming and was a wonderful host. The house was stunning and the location could not be more perfect for touring all of San Francisco's greatest attractions during a weekend getaway. I would certainly stay with George again.
George is a wonderful guy, he told us a lot of stories about SF. We had two nice nights at George's home. Everything was exactly like listed. The bed was extremely comfortable, the neighborhood was quiet and safe. Everything was in walking distance. The view on the roof was extremely good! I definitely recommend George home!
George has been the perfect host! The communication was impeccable making our trip very easy. George took the time to welcome us in person which was very appreciated! the house is lovely, easy to access and with a beautiful view!!! Thanks again George for welcoming us and I'm looking forward to seeing you again soon! Julien & Marie.
Amazing experience! Great Location in one of the best parts of town (North Beach)! George was the BEST! He welcomed us and gave us an accommodating and unique intro to SF that one wouldn't expect. It was like we were visiting a friend and he showed us the city in a way only a local can. He has a wealth of San Fran knowledge. The room was cozy and quiet in a historic Victorian home. The rooftop deck was one of our favorite parts, if you are lucky enough to experience it!
This host has 161 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, George
Welcome to San Francisco.
I love this city! It has been a great joy over time, to share my family's uniquely San Franciscan homes with people who are coming here for the first time. Various members of my family have trickled here over the decades- the first being in Sept 1849 aboard the "Regulus" out of Boston! Others followed in the 1850s, 60s and so on. I share their love of this city and all it's raucous history.
I have been spoiled in my life with many wonderful educational opportunities- in the United States, (California, Washington State, Cambridge, MA), and in Florence, Italy. Possibly my best learning moments have come from our guests who have come to us over the years from just about every part of the globe. I pride myself as having a good sense of humor, a good ear and an open mind. I love to listen to our guests' stories and hear about their life-experiences. I also firmly believe in letting guests have their space and privacy.
My personal interests: travel (Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast, All of Italy, Sweden, Austria, New York, are just a few faves), architecture, food, music, theater, history, genealogy, and yes, San Francisco!
Sometimes during the year I am away on the West Coast of Sweden visiting family and friends. In my absence, there will always be someone checking in on my longer term rentals. You will be in excellent hands should you need assistance. My short term hosting is given some time-off during these periods.
I have two golden retrievers, Ebba, and her pup, Elsa-Vega who live at the family home on Alamo Square. They are available to the guests who wish to meet them when visiting the "Painted Ladies". Because some guests are allergic or are not dog-lovers, they are not allowed in guest rooms.
I look forward to meeting you and having you experience North Beach!
A great place to get something quickly. Coffee and generous sandwiches made on premises.Stockton Street San Francisco CA 94133
Good work. Friendly people. Do not go to the laundry across Stockton Street on the downhill side. Take my word for it!Stockton Street San Francisco CA 94133
The closest local Catholic Church but also something worth seeing. Often used in films.Filbert St San Francisco CA 94133
A must- do North Beach experience. Get there at about 7AM or enjoy the friendly line out front. It is worth the wait.Columbus Ave San Francisco California 94133
The closest major supermarketBay Street San Francisco CA 94133
Just one of the best Italian Restaurants in North BeachMason Street San Francisco CA 94133
A great wine selection and other quality foods at reasonable pricesBay St & Mason St San Francisco California 94133
There is no way to describe this zany show. It is real San Francisco. It has run for almost 40 years. I have never known a local or tourist who does not love it. Book ahead.Green Street San Francisco CA 91433
Shop here (or at Lombard Heights Market if in a hurry) and assemble the perfect picnic lunch for Washington Square or anywhere you choose.Columbus Avenue San Francisco CA 94133
Classic Cafe! The weekend live music is not to be missedVallejo Street San Francisco CA 94133
A huge collection of working, antique mechanical toys. Bring lots of change.San Francisco CA 94133
#9 is an old school Fishermans Wharf restaurant. Honestly, most of the food at the wharf is pretty much the same. The prices are also similar. Great view. Authentic. Preferred by locals. Friendly.Taylor St SF CA 94133
See how they make Fortune Cookies! Careful what you buy... packaged fortune cookies range from standard to R rated fortunes. Very interesting place... great for kidsRoss Aly San Francisco CA 94108-1204
An old San Francisco favorite right on the Hyde Street Cable Car line.Hyde Street San Francisco CA 94109
One of several Bicycle rentals near the house. Others: Powell near Chestnut and Lombard and Columbus. Take a bike ride along the bay and over the GG Bridge to Sausalito or Tiburon. Take the boat home.Jefferson Street San Francisco CA 94109
Interesting look at how it all works.Mason St SF CA 94108
Lots and lots of stairs but another world when you get to the top. Dont miss the balcony and dont be shy... walk around both sides of the altar. An amazing ceiling tooWaverly Pl SF CA 94108
A great place to come for a huge ice cream sundae. The Square itself has been scaled down in recent years.San Francisco California
Come learn about old San Francisco!Montgomery St SF CA 94104
The Farmers Market here has become a favorite. The place is filed with great shops and restaurantsFerry Bldg Marketplace SF CA 94105
The pin here is wrong! Drive North on Hyde St, then right down Lombard for the Crookedest Street in the World. ... this helps you avoid the long line that often forms West on Lombard Street.Lombard Street San Francisco CA 94133
Great big burgers by the bay.Pier 30 San Francisco CA 94105
The map pin and address are incorrect and does not allow me to change it. The new address is Pier 15 on the Embarcadero near Green St. A Great place to take the kids. Adults love it too!Lyon Street San Francisco CA 94123
What better place to have a picnic with a world-class view?! After a visit to the park, our guests often come down the hill and join us for a glass of wine and a tour of our family home.SF CA
On a Clear day you Can See Forever! Picnic here on a warm day and then walk over to Pt Lobos and take a hike along the cliffs to Lincoln Park.Point Lobos Avenue San Francisco CA 94121
I vastly prefer the Bistro to the left as you enter the main door. The prices are better and it is also in the more original part of the building. The popovers are not to be missed-the view is superb.Point Lobos San Francisco CA 94121