About This Listing
You'll love spending a few days in this three-bedroom cottage located at the entrance to the iconic Granxa do Souto, a farm founded by my family in the nineteenth century. There are only few places where you can enjoy the river, the sea, and the mountains in minutes. If you want to visit the most remote corners of our region or if you fancy a walk at sunset to watch the deer grazing in the river meadows, we will explain how to reach these places. If you also want to enjoy the beef, the seafood, and the fish from our land and sea, you are in the right place. And of course, if you're willing to ride through the meadows of the valley, at our equestrian centre they will show you the best routes accompanied by expert instructors. The maximum comfort and our beautiful and quiet surroundings will make your children enjoy the vacation of a lifetime. And besides, you're just minutes from the best beaches of Galicia. And all at incredible prices. We look forward to your visit !!
- Cabo Ortegal, where the Cantabrian Sea meets the Atlantic Ocean. 15 km.
- Estaca de Bares, a beautiful light house in the northernmost point of the Iberian Peninsula. 27 km.
- A Herbeira, the highest cliffs in mainland Europe. 12 km.
- A Capelada, one of the oldest mountain ranges in mainland Europe. 2 km.
- San Andrés de Teixido, a lovely fisher village on the top of the cliffs. 15 km.
- O Barqueiro, a charming little port with typical restaurants where to try delicious local dishes. 25 km.
- Ortigueira, the main village in the area, famous for the Celtic World International Festival that takes place every summer.
- Morouzos, probably the most beautiful and calm beach in Galicia. 9 km.
- Ría de Ortigueira, our estuary, popular world-wide because of its diversity of bird species. 2 km.
- Shell fish, including mussels, razor shells, cockles, clams, oysters, barnacles, scallops...
- Fresh fish, including horse mackerel, hake, sardines (very popular on St. John's day!), bream...
- Galician beef.
- Several dishes made with Celtic pork, such as zorza or raxo... delicious!
- Our main white wines, such as Ribeiro and Albariño.
- Licor café, a dark liquor made with coffee.
- Queimada, the famous hot Galician drink that is used to ward off evil spirits :D
*The pictures from the nearby areas were provided by Álvaro F. Polo and Roteiros. Thanks!
We enjoyed our stay very much. Joaquin's father Manuel welcomed us and invited us to look around the farm. After our days out exploring the area with its scenic cliffs and beaches the cottage was well equipped to return to and all the farm activity and animals provided interest and entertainment. The peace and tranquility was wonderfully relaxing! Thank you.
We spent 4 nights in the Farm Cottage and had a wonderful time. Nothing was missing, the hosts were very friendly and the location is just beautiful. We can only recommend it!
Le chalet est situé au milieu d'un haras.
Nous avons eu un très bon accueil de la part du père de Joachim qui nous a fait visiter les lieux. En plus, il parle un espagnol très compréhensible pour un français.
Les enfants ont pu regarder les chevaux mais aussi jouer avec les lapins et la chèvre... Bref, ils étaient ravis...
De très belles ballades dans la région... Et quelques belles plages...
We had a lovely time at the Cottage, everything was perfect. Joaquín's dad was very helpful when we got there and when we left. It was great waking up and seeing the views and the animals while making breakfast. The house was clean and very cozy. We really enjoyed it.
Todo muy bien , nos recibieron con un bizcocho y mermelada caseros. Gente muy amable y servicial . Nos explicaron que visitar , en como funciona su granja. En un incomparable valle lleno de caballos e incluso garzas , nos encantó estar en plena naturaleza. La casa preciosa, con su chimenea, sus tres habitaciones y un salón perfectos para hacer tu estancia completa. Seguro que repetiremos.
About the Host, Joaquín
I was born in a house very near The Farm Cottage, where my parents still live. My sisters and I spent our childhood collecting mushrooms in the Autumn, playing with tadpoles in Spring, and swimming in the sea during our long summers. It seems rather bucolic but that was our life here in Mera! Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that I became a biologist afterwards :D My family and I would really like to introduce you to this northern county, by the sea, surrounded by the old mountains, in the beautiful Galician countryside. Come and visit us to the Farm Cottage!