Yoga Meditation Organic Farm run by Shankar Prasad Foundation is a Spiritual Retreat in a beautiful heritage house on a 2 ½ acre organic farm with coconut grove and rice paddy field, near the ancient sea side pilgrimage town of Gokarna, south of Goa.
If you are looking for a quiet rustic getaway with access to the beautiful beaches of Gokarna you've just found it. The retreat is run by Swami Yogaratna, Australian by birth but a naturalised Indian who has trained at the Bihar School of Yoga and taught Yoga for over 25 years. Guests are welcome and invited to take the spiritual sojourn, learn yoga, or just use the premises as a base to discover the natural beauty as well as scores of temples in the area. Please note that this is a spiritual centre so quietude is encouraged and intoxicants and non-vegetarian food is disallowed.
Internet, washing machine, cycles, transport etc are available at an extra cost.
1. 2 Private Single Rooms that sleep 1 with real beds
2. 1 Double Room that sleeps 2 with sleeping pads
3. 1 Small Dormitory Style room that sleeps around 5, with sleeping pads
4. 1 Large Airy Dormitory Style room that around 12, with sleeping pads
5. 2 double rooms with attached bathroom, with real beds.
6. 1 Small Dormitory with attached bathroom that sleeps 6 or more on sleeping pads
Our room tariff includes all meals ie breakfast, lunch, and dinner plus tea/coffee. Food is traditional local style simple, wholesome, tasty and vegetarian. We grow our own organic rice and often enjoy fruit & vegetables grown organically on the property or locally.
Guests are encouraged to attend the short group chanting sessions daily at 6am & 7pm. These are sometimes accompanied by satsangs (discussion) and /or meditations. We maintain silence as far as possible from after dinner to breakfast time the next morning; this helps in generating peace of mind and relaxation. There is no charge for joining our chanting sessions and stasangs.
Swami Yogaratna is an accomplished yoga teacher in the tradition of Bihar School of Yoga (Satyananda). She holds classes in Asana, Pranayama, Yoga Nidra (Psychic Sleep Meditation) and Meditation (Sitting Type), Shatkarmas (Cleansing Practices), Yoga Therapy, Kundalini Yoga and all practices from Satyananda Bihar Yoga. Suggested donation for group classes is Rs 250 and Rs 500 for private sessions per person payable on the spot.
1. Village of Bankikodla - 5 minutes’ walk away with a bustling vegetable and fish market, and friendly shop keepers that provide everything needed by a small country community. There are heritage houses, winding lanes, secret gardens, and expansive paddy fields and small hills that you can explore on foot or by cycle.
2. Beaches -Gokarna beach is 15 minutes by car or auto, Om and Kudli beaches are 20 minutes away. Lesser well known beaches nearby are Dubbanashashi Beach with fishing boats, Shelly Beach full of shells naturally are also nearby.
3. Temples - all the temples of Gokarna are easily accessible. The Ramtirth Temple has spectacular views over a cliff onto the sea.
Shankar Prasad Foundation, a Registered Charitable Trust and we look forward to meeting you and sharing our piece of paradise!
This is a place that puts you back in touch with nature ... And with yourself. My highlights were the late evening chanting sessions and a wonderful yoganidra session with Swami Yogaratna. Walks in the neighbouring village and paddy fields were most enjoyable. Though I didn't join in Swamiji took her other guests to see some local spots ... A secret pool, an undiscovered beach. These are treasures you cannot find by Googling!
The lodgings are basic but comfortable. My room had an attached bathroom with a shower and I had use of the washing machine and wifi.
The natural beauty of an unspoiled countryside is the charm of this place but the lasting impact is left on you by your interactions with Swamiji.