About this listing
Big clean rooms with comfy beds, TVs, Wi-fi, cable, W/D, kitchen, cotton linens, parking, walk to grocery & stores, 1 mile to airport and UH Campus.
The Shaka Shak is a charming updated plantation house with touches of Japanese influence in the interior design. If you are seeking a relaxed island home to "hang loose".... you've found it.
- A total of 250 square feet in this space with 2 double beds ( one is extra long >6.5 ft).
- Make your own meals in fully equipped kitchen includes a full size refrigerator, microwave, stove/oven, rice cooker, blender, coffee brewer, coffee grinder, kettle, toaster, pots/pans, dishes, glassware, and utensils.
- Clean, clean, clean shared Bathrooms
- Strong Wi-fi signal in the room Free
- Free washer / dryer use in the garage
- Safe, low-traffic, well lit residential area
- Only a couple of couqui frogs in our yard... thanks to our outside cats who manage to keep most out of the perimeters.
- Tranquil, quiet neighborhood on dead end street.
- Separate dining and living rooms areas for social interaction
- Tropical landscape and singing birds in the morning
- Two blocks to restaurants, groceries, and fast food places.
- Close to Hilo airport, but no planes flying over.
*** If you're traveling solo, explore our island WITHOUT a car (from our location) by following my advice below....
- Walk or bicycle (rent $25 per day from local bike company) your way around Hilo town or use the County discounted taxi fare program (5 mile radius). Our quaint town has the most "Old Hawaii" feel than any other city in the state. There are Farmer's Markets, downtown Hilo, Queen Liliuokalani Park, Coconut Island, Rainbow Falls, museums to visit within the 4 miles radius of the city. Lots to see here.
- Sign up for group tours (Mauna Kea Observatory, Waipio Valley, Lava Hiking, Kilauea Volcano, Hot Ponds, Ziplines). Request for a home pick up and return, We are about 2 miles from hotel row, so most tour companies WILL usually do this.
- Take the $1 dollar buses to Kailua-Kona , resorts, and hotels on the west side.
We look forward to meeting you. E Komo Mai
Rent bicycles (ask me where to rent $25/day) to explore Hilo and catch the bus for day trips to the resort Hotels in Waikoloa and Kona for $2.00 per person. Have car rentals and Tour companies pick you up from our in-town location.
Other Things to Note
Hawaii State Taxes of 13.42% are not calculated or collected on this website. We will collect upon arrival. Thanks!
One car parking per guest room
No smoking, drugs, loud parties
Clean your dishes right away
Use earphones, not speakers at night
Be conscientious of bathroom usage
Turn off lights when leaving the room
Cynthia was a great host, she helped us a lot (even gave us a ride up to Mauna Kea), and was extremely kind and easy going. Will stay there back again when I come back!
Sehr gute Unterkunft. Die Bilder sind Wahrheitsgetreu. Es ist sauber und gepflegt. Cynthia ist sehr hilfsbereit und freundlich.
Würden die Unterkunft wieder buchen.
The listing was very accurate and Cynthia was the perfect hostess. Her home is clean, warm and inviting and she couldn't have been kinder or more helpful in every way. Want to snorkel? She had a set we could borrow. Want to stay warm at the Observatory at night? She offered a warm jacket to borrow. Need a walking stick? She fashioned one for me on the spot. She helped us plan our days so we could see all the best sights. Our visit was simply wonderful in every way. Lots of good conversation, too, with Cynthia and with other guests from around the world. Our hostess is gifted at getting to know people and making them comfortable.
Cynthia let us feel at home in her wonderful house as soon as we arrived! The hostel feel meeting other guests from around the world around breakfast or a self cooked meal contributed to the awesome stay we had! And don't get us started on the tips and tricks of the Big Island provided by Cynthia or the incredible Passion fruit Jam! Yummy!!
Good location, Cynthia is very friendly...
Two bedrooms share one bathroom
She provides everything for breakfast, however you have to prepare it by yourself
It's a bit like a hostel, four bedroom, so cleanliness less than in a hotel however for the price quite good!
You can use the washer/ dryer
The lady left me a private message saying that she found dust under the bed. Whew, I'm glad that's all she found unclean. We cleaned it up. But generally we sweep up and steam mop rooms after every guest. We do the same with the common rooms and bathrooms daily, coupled with the "no shoes in the house" policy, we do try to keep a clean guesthouse. A family before here had a 2 year old toddler crawling on our floors. There are two hostels in town where about 20 people share two bathrooms, so she shouldn't put us in the same category. Btw, the hostel rate for a private room with shared bath is $75, with no fully equipped kitchen, no washer dryer, no flat screen TV with cable. to say the least. Just saying... Thanks for staying with us anyway.
Cythia was very friendly though a bit overwhelmed with some confusing website issues. It took a few days to get everything clearly sorted with the back and forth, but eventually we got it all situated and found the place with ease. She clearly has a lot of guests as the rooms and common area come equipped with many tips and suggestions of place to go and things to do in the area. We didn't actually end up spending much time at the location beyond sleeping as we had our days packed with activities, but it was a convenient location for us to use as a home base.
This host has 131 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Cynthia
Aloha... My daughter Natasha and I will be catering to your vacation needs in our super charming mid-century plantation home. We are on Airbnb because we enjoy meeting people from all over the world, learning other cultures, sharing the wonders of our beloved island and extending our warmest Filipino-Hawaiian hospitality to everyone who walks through our door.
A favorite quotation:" Do not forget little kindnesses and do not remember small faults".
E komo mai, Nou ka hale !! ( Welcome, our house is yours !! )
Please scroll down to the Listings and check out all our rooms on Airbnb.... Click the picture of the room you like for more information.