A big room with its own lanai and 2 double beds (>6.5ft), desk, cable TV strong Wi-fi. towels, toiletries and driveway parking. Quiet neighborhood close to downtown Hilo and UHH campus.
PLS READ OUR REVIEWS BELOW
The Shaka Shak is a charming updated plantation house with touches of Japanese influence in the interior design. If you are seeking a relaxed island home to "hang loose".... you've found it.
- Breakfast IS included with the room rate.
- A total of 250 square feet in this space with 2 double beds ( one is extra long >6.5 ft).
- Shared kitchen and bathroom.
- Strong Wi-fi signal in the room Free
- Free washer / dryer use in the garage
- Safe, low-traffic, well lit residential area
- Only a couple of couqui frogs in our yard... thanks to our outside cats who manage to keep most out of the perimeters.
- Tranquil, quiet neighborhood on dead end street.
- Separate dining and living rooms areas for social interaction
- Tropical landscape and singing birds in the morning
- Two blocks to restaurants, groceries, and fast food places.
- Close to Hilo airport, but no planes flying over.
*** If you're traveling solo, explore our island WITHOUT a car (from our location) by following my advice below....
- Walk or bicycle your way around Hilo town or use the County discounted taxi fare program (5 mile radius). Our quaint town has the most "Old Hawaii" feel than any other city in the state. There are Farmer's Markets, downtown Hilo, Queen Liliuokalani Park, Coconut Island, Rainbow Falls, museums to visit within the 4 miles radius of the city. Lots to see here.
- Sign up for group tours (Mauna Kea Observatory, Waipio Valley, Lava Hiking, Kilauea Volcano, Hot Ponds, Ziplines). Request for a home pick up and return, We are about 2 miles from hotel row, so most tour companies WILL usually do this.
- Take the $1 dollar buses to Kailua-Kona , resorts, and hotels on the west side.
We look forward to meeting you. E Komo Mai
We also offer pickup at the Hilo airport for $10. Rent bicycles to explore Hilo and catch the bus for day trips to the resort Hotels in Waikoloa and Kona for $1.00 per person. Have car rentals and Tour companies pick you up from our in-town location.
Hawaii State Taxes of 13.42% are not calculated or collected on this website. We will collect upon arrival. Thanks!
Permit Number: W57287084-01
I enjoyed my stay at Shaka Shak, and really liked Cynthia a lot. The room was spacious, comfortable and quiet enough, and couldn't be more convenient to Hilo, Volcano, airport, etc.
Cynthia is very energetic and happy to be a hostess. The double room was adequate for what we paid, but a bit hot even with a fan going in the doorway. The breeze just didn't hit this room as much as we would have hoped. She is starting to do continental breakfast and there was some homemade muffins, hard-boiled eggs and cereal (we had brought our own so we didn't try any). The smallish kitchen was ours to use, which is right outside the room, as well as the fridge and microwave. The house doesn't lock, but we got a key for our room. Cleanliness wasn't 100% and there are many areas that are somewhat rundown and unkept, but for the price, it is a worthwhile place. Plus, Cynthia offered to take us to the airport for our flight home.
My stay with cynthia was wonderful! The house was clean and the room was big and comfortable . I enjoyed to have my own lanai! The location was very convenient. Cynthia was a great host, kind, considerate and warm. I coudn't have asked for a better experience! I hope to come again!
My first experience on air bnb due to he merrie monarch festival n Hilo left no accomodation available. Cynthia was very welcoming, accommodating of my late evening check in and hugely hospitable, even dropping me at the bus station the next day and plying me with a wonderful breakfast both mornings. I would thoroughly recommend Cynthia's place.
This is the final rate, including any fees from the host and Airbnb.