About this listing
Congratulations, you've found it! The perfect place for your stay in Costa Rica.
Casita Limón is a cozy one bedroom home, fully furnished with all the amenities. It is located in a quiet Tico neighborhood, only 1 KM from downtown Atenas.
The casita has an air conditioned bedroom with a queen size bed, and a full size futon in the living room. Linens and towels are provided, and the kitchen is fully furnished. There is a laundry room with washer and dryer, but instead of using the dryer, we encourage you to be environmentally friendly and hang clothes out to dry on clotheslines on sunny days.
The property is fully enclosed with a beautiful lawn, tropical plants & fruit trees.
+ Dishes, glassware, utensils and cookware
+ 2-burner counter top cooker
+ Electric skillet
+ Microwave oven
+ Coffee maker
+ On-demand hot water in the kitchen and bath
+ Ceiling fans
+ Air conditioned bedroom
+ Swimming Pool
+ Games for children and adults
+ Free local telephone calls and calls to/from U.S. & Canada
+ Housekeeping service available twice a week for an additional fee
+ Secure parking area
+ Pet friendly (Dogs only, with all vaccinations current)
+ Portable cooler available for day trips/picnics
+ Local cellular telephone available for rent
While you are our guest, you will have full access to the shared outdoor living space in our "Rancho." It has a covered patio with tables & chairs, swing, kitchen, refrigerator, microwave, barbecue grill, stone pizza/bread oven, bathroom, shower, and pool. We think you'll find this the perfect place for entertaining and relaxing after a long day of sightseeing.
Interaction with Guests
Our home is located on the same property, so we are always available when needed. We are more than happy to just sit and chat with you, and answer your questions. We are just as happy to give you plenty of peace and quiet. Your call. You will find the Casita is perfectly positioned to offer you plenty of privacy during your stay.
We love our little neighborhood. Every morning we awake to the songs of the tropical birds around us.
We have a sports plaza right next door and depending on the day, or time of year, there may be soccer matches, children from the local school exercising, or practicing band for an upcoming parade. We've even had 2 & 4 wheel motorcycle rallys staged from our little plaza.
At any time of day, you may find folks using the plaza for walking, jogging, or cycling. In the afternoons, friends and families frequently gather to play or kick around a soccer ball.
It's a great neighborhood!
We're about 30 minutes from the Aeropuerto Internacional Juan Santamaria, SJO. The taxi fare from the airport to the house will run between $40 & $45, or we can prearrange to pick you up for a flat fee. The drive will take you through the scenic Aguacate (avocado) mountains. It's another hour's drive to the Pacific coast beaches.
If you rent a vehicle, secure parking is available on the property.
There is regular bus service from Atenas to San Jose, other neighboring towns, and the Pacific beaches.
Taxi fare to Atenas Centro from the Casita runs about $2.
Other Things to Note
Depending on the day you arrive, you may enjoy the wonderful Farmers' Market held every Friday morning, between 7 AM and 12 Noon. This is a great place to stock up on fresh fruits, vegetables, eggs, cheese and yogurt.
If you are without a vehicle, we will be happy to provide transportation to the local grocery store shortly after your arrival, so you can pick up staples to make your stay more enjoyable. Depending on our schedule, we may also be able to take you to the Farmers' Market on a Friday morning.
Atenas has daytime temperature ranges from the upper 70°'s to upper 80°'s, with rare days in the low 90°'s. Nighttime temperatures usually stay in the 60°, but have been known to dip into the the 50°'s overnight.
We recommend you pack an umbrella if you will be with us during the Green Season from May to December.
We are a retired couple with many years of experience living in Costa Rica. We can help you plan your itinerary to visit all the "must see & do" attractions in Costa Rica.
If you are a member of the worldwide geocaching site, you will find Casita Limón the perfect place to log a new cache find and pick up, or drop off, some travel bugs for your fellow geocachers.
If you are interested in a tropical vacation in beautiful Costa Rica, we invite you to rent our guest house and use it as your home base. We've got all the basic necessities covered, and we do our best to make each of our guests feel comfortable and at "home."
PLEASE READ OUR "HOUSE RULES" BEFORE BOOKING.
BOOKING REQUIRES A VERIFIED ID AND PROFILE.
• We like to get to know our guests. Tell us a little bit about yourself when you make a reservation or inquiry - where you're coming from, your traveling companions, and the purpose of your trip (vacation, work, retirement opportunities, etc.) This helps us provide you with the information you need to really enjoy your stay with us.
• It is our preference is to accept houseguests who have completed their AirBnB profile with verified identification and a photo.
• Let us know if you have questions about anything at all: about us, our Casita, or Airbnb in general.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING BEFORE BOOKING:
Check-in time is after 1:00 PM. Check-In after 10 PM is not available without checking with us first. If you arrive late due to a flight delay, we encourage you to stay at one of convenience hotels by the airport and check in with us the following morning. Early Check-In may be possible if we do not have a guest departing the same day. If you arrive early, you are welcome to enjoy the use of the Rancho while we prepare the Casita for you. No refunds for missing a Check-In before 10 PM.
Check-out time is 11:00 AM. If you have a later flight you are still required to check-out of the Casita to avoid scheduling difficulties for other guests. You may enjoy the use of the Rancho until it is time for you to depart.
• Liability disclaimer: The Casita Limón property owner/manager accepts no liability for any accidents, injuries, damages, or losses, to the registered Guest's person(s) and/or property, during their stay.
• The number of guests who can stay in the Casita is limited to the guest(s) listed in the reservation. If you want additional guests to stay with you, please ask us for our approval.
• Smoking is NOT allowed in the casita under any circumstances. You may smoke tobacco products only, outside, or in the Rancho. If you smoke in the casita, a $30 cleaning fees will be deducted from the security deposit.
• The responsible consumption of alcoholic beverages is fine. Inebriated behavior due to the excessive consumption of alcohol is not acceptable, and could result with the guest being asked to leave with no refunds.
• The consumption of illegal drugs is not allowed, and the guest will be asked to leave immediately with no refunds.
• The cost of items lost, damaged, or broken, will be deducted from the Security Deposit.
• There is a $10 service charge for a lost set of keys.
• There is a $50 service charge for a lost remote control for the gate opener.
• There is a $50 service charge for a lost remote control for the air conditioner.
• There is a $50 service charge for a lost cell phone.
• There is a $25 non-refundable cleaning fee for a dog/per stay. Please note: Current canine vaccinations certificates are required for rabies, parvo, canine hepatitis, canine distemper, leptospirosis, parainfluenza, and bordetella.
• Pool Rules:
1. Use pool at your own risk. We are not responsible for accidents or injuries.
2. Absolutely no unattended children under 12 allowed in the pool.
3. No animals allowed.
4. No glass containers in the pool area.
5. No running, pushing, or dangerous play allowed.
6. Be considerate - no yelling or other loud noises.
7. No diving.
8. Use the outdoor shower before getting into the pool.
9. For your safety, no one is allowed in the pool during an electrical/thunderstorm.
10. No nudity in the pool.
11. Children should use the toilet before getting into the pool and babies must wear swimmers' diapers.
12. Be aware there is no lifeguard on duty.
1 - While you are enjoying your stay with us please let us know if anything needs attention or needs to be replaced. (i.e. toilet tissue, laundry/dish detergent, light bulbs, garbage bags, etc.)
2. Trash and garbage pickup is on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Please place your trash in a plastic bag and put it in the steel basket outside the property by 7 AM. Do not deposit the trash the night before, or animals will rip the bag open to forage and scatter it everywhere.
3 - Please wash dirty dishes and wipe up spills. We are in the tropics and share this paradise with an abundance of wildlife and insects. Ants love dirty dishes and sticky counters!
4 - Treat our home as you would your own.
5 - If you bring a pet, please clean up after your pet, both inside the Casita and outside in the garden.
• We treat our dogs, Randy and Gustavo (Goose for short) and Yoli, as members of the family. We usually keep them behind gates on our side of the property, but if you are an animal lover, let us know and we will let them come for an occasional visit. They enjoy being petted and spoiled. Please respect our pets.
• We welcome you to our home, and hope you'll find our Casita is your "home away from home." Enjoy the experience!
••• By booking Casita Limón, you acknowledge and agree to the House Rules as defined above •••
Pat and John were very warm and welcoming. Because I arrived later in the day, Pat gave me some food supplies so I wouldn't have to go out until the next day. The location was safe and right next to the soccer field. Nice to see the children playing in the evening. It is a bit of a walk to town, tho, so you will need a car or take a quick taxi ride. Since I wasn't there as a tourist, I cannot give an opinion on the local sights although I have heard all good things about the organic coffee plantation nearby. And Grecia and Sarchi are well worth a visit. Since Pat and John are ex-pats, it was nice to talk to them about their journey to Costa Rica. They will gladly answer any questions about the area, restaurants, day trips, etc. I would heartily recommend them and Casita Limon.
Great first or last stop on any Costa Rica adventure! Very close to the airport, yet out of the city.
We stayed only two nights, walked to a restaurant the first night (20 min) and grilled in the awesome rancho the second. The kitchen was perfect and had the accoutrements for any meal.
Pat hooked us up with some fruit from their many trees! She also was great at giving directions (the roads are not well marked in CR). Ask Jon where to purchase the bagels, and buy them in bulk!
Pat and Jon were very helpful and fun to talk to. They respect your privacy and provide a safe & beautiful home to enjoy!
From the first phone call placed to our hosts upon arrival in Costa Rica, to the "Plan B" taxi ride to the airport for home, we were met with unconditional welcome, respect and kindness. Pat and John were superb in answering our questions throughout our entire stay. They attended to our every need, often anticipating them! We felt very cared for and safe. They are reliable, fun, knowledgeable special people. The neighborhood was great...felt very safe and a good example of Costa Rican everyday life. Close enough to walk into town, too. We highly recommend Casita Limon which is private and had every amenity two people might need.
Casita Limon was just as described. The hosts could not have been more accommodating. The bed was comfortable. The towels were plentiful. The kitchen was quite workable, with two burners, electric skillet and plenty of dishes and containers.
We had our own washer and dryer and clothes line with pegs, which was super for a three week stay. A water filter in the kitchen, great shower and plenty of water pressure were all appreciated.
There were fresh lemons and limes falling daily for our use. The walk to town was hilly, but do-able and we got better as time went on. Taxi prices were reasonable and Pat and John gave us tips on who to call, where to shop and what to see. On their recommendation we visited El Toledo permaculture coffee farm and had an amazing tour- and fantastic coffee.
Also, the best kitchen knives ever in a rental!
For a close to town experience, this was a great introduction to Atenas. Thanks, you two!
Casita Limón was the perfect place to stay for my first two nights in Costa Rica. The apartment immediately felt like home, and Pat and John's whole private property is so peaceful. I'm a bit more on the private side, so I didn't spend much time with Pat and John, but when I did they were so friendly and quick to take care of me. I would recommend Casita Limón to anyone looking for a comfortable place to lay their head, quick access to just about everywhere in the country, and without the bustle of San Jose. Pura vida!
John and Pat were absolutely the best host and hostess! They welcomed us with open arms into their home. Not only did they introduce us to the Casita but to the town as well as the day after our arrival was the open market and they invited us to go with them.
The Casita is the best, separate from their own home, just enough to give complete privacy when needed. The Rancho (common area) was perfect for BBQing and enjoying a sensational thunder/lightening storm. We were without a car but this did not present a problem. The neighborhood felt very comfortable to us, walking to town was quite easy as long as you don't try it in the middle of the day! Cabs and buses were quite inexpensive and very accessible.
Casita Limon is the only place I would want to stay at when visiting the peaceful town of Atenas!
John and Pat were very responsive before we arrived in Costa Rica. As it was our first time, this put us at ease and we really appreciate it! They picked us up from our hotel near SJO and brought us to a nice restaurant by the Casita for lunch, providing us with information about Costa Rica and tips for our stay. The Casita is was nice and just as described. Walking to town was not bad as long as you are careful to watch for cars, and at night be sure to wear reflective clothing - since there are no sidewalks, it can be a little scary if you are not seen. Cabs and buses were quite inexpensive and very accessible. The only downfall is that we had to cut our stay short by one night. Most tours leave from San Jose, and it made more sense for us to stay at a hotel in the city where tour buses pick you up and drop you off. If you are planning on doing tours, I would take this into consideration. Overall, we had a very nice stay at Casita Limon and John and Pat were great hosts.
About the Host, Pat And John
I spent most of my 20s here in Costa Rica. I returned to the States to raise a family and build a career, always knowing I would return to Costa Rica someday. In 2011, my husband John and I officially retired and moved to Atenas. The first year we lived in our humble casita, while we watched our new home being built. In May of 2012, we moved into "la casa grande" and now our casita is available as a short term vacation rental.
For potential Guests reading this profile prior to submitting an inquiry on Casita Limón:
Our property listing will provide detailed information about our Casita and our "House Rules." If you have any questions after reviewing this information, we encourage you to send us an inquiry.
We like to get to know our guests. Tell us a little bit about yourself when you make a reservation or inquiry - where you're coming from, your traveling companions, and the purpose of your trip (vacation, work, retirement opportunities, etc.) This helps us provide you with the information you need to really enjoy your stay with us. With our many years of experience living in Costa Rica, we can help you plan your itinerary to visit all the "must see & do" attractions in Costa Rica.
It is our preference is to accept reservations from house guests with a complete AirBnB profile, verified identification, and a photo... We need to put a face to the name of person who is interested in staying with us. You may have amazing photos of your pets and scenic locations, but we think your profile picture should be just that, a picture of you.
Come visit us in this beautiful, peaceful land we call home.
If you are currently an Airbnb Host in Costa Rica:
We are also the Group Moderators for Airbnb's Hosts in Costa Rica. We would be pleased to discuss hosting with you. If you have listing(s) in Costa Rica, we would encourage you to join our group at https://www.airbnb.com/groups/2216