- Getting Started
- Account & Profile
- Deciding to Host
- Your Listings
- Your Reservations
- Getting Paid
- Hosting Standards
- Business Travel
- Trust & Safety
- Contact Airbnb
How do I book a place on Airbnb?
When you book a place on Airbnb, you’re making arrangements to stay in someone’s home. Each host has their own style of hospitality, starting with how they like to get to know their guests. Some hosts want to approve reservations, while others are comfortable letting you book their place instantly, without waiting for approval.
1. Complete Your Profile
In either case, it’s important to know that Airbnb is a community that relies on trust. Complete your profile before you request a reservation with a host, so they can know a little bit about you when they confirm. Your profile should include photos and verifications, especially because some hosts require guests to have a profile photo or Verified ID in order to book.
2. Find the Right Place
With over 800,000 unique listings around the world, you’ll want to make sure the place you choose has everything you need for a comfortable and memorable trip:
- When you search, enter your arrival and departure dates, and the total number of guests who’ll be traveling. This way, Airbnb can show you listings that can accommodate the size of your group on the dates you’re traveling.
- Use Airbnb’s maps and neighborhood guides to help make sure the location of a listing is convenient for your trip. You’ll be able to see the listing’s approximate location along with local points of interest and transportation hubs.
- Review amenities and House Rules. No two listings are exactly alike, so pay attention to the Amenities section to make sure there’s a hairdryer if you need one, and read through the House Rules to see whether or not a host allows smoking in their home.
- Read reviews from other travelers to get honest insights about what to expect from your stay at a particular listing.
- Contact the host to introduce yourself and ask any remaining questions you have about their place.
3. Book It!
You’ve found the perfect place, and now it’s time to make it official. This is where the host’s preferred way of booking will determine how you’ll confirm your reservation.
For hosts who don’t want to approve each reservation, you’ll see a button on their listing that says Instant Book. Like the name suggests, you can confirm a reservation at these places right away:
- Enter your arrival and departure dates, and number of guests
- Click Instant Book on the right side of your screen
- Enter your payment details and write an optional message to introduce yourself to the host
- When you’re ready to confirm and pay, click Book Now
You'll receive a confirmation email with your trip itinerary and billing details.
Request to Book
Many hosts prefer to approve reservations before they’re final. In this case, you’ll see a button on their listing that says Request to Book. To submit a reservation request, you’ll need to enter your payment details. Hosts have 24 hours to accept your request, and your reservation is automatically confirmed once they do.
- From the listing’s page, choose your travel dates and number of guests
- Click Request to Book
- Enter your payment details, and write an optional message to your host
- Click Book now
Your host will have 24 hours to respond, and the total reservation amount will be charged when they accept. You won’t be charged if the host declines or doesn’t respond.
Pre-Approvals and Special Offers
If you decide to contact the host to ask questions before attempting to book, the host may respond to your message by inviting you to make a reservation with either a pre-approval or Special Offer. A pre-approval is an invitation to finish booking for the dates and number of guests you noted in your message. A Special Offer gives the host the opportunity to provide special pricing, dates, and other reservation details before you book.