Suggestions will show after typing in the search input. Use the up and down arrows to review. Use enter to select. If the selection is a phrase, that phrase will be submitted to search. If the suggestion is a link, the browser will navigate to that page.


You can read this article in German or English.

This article provides specific information about local laws that apply to people who host their homes in the Rheingau region. Just like our country article for Germany, it’s your responsibility to verify and comply with any obligations that apply to you as a host. This article can serve as a starting point or place you can come back to if you have questions but it’s not exhaustive and it doesn’t constitute legal or tax advice. It’s a good idea to check to make sure laws and procedures are current.

Some of the laws that might affect you are complicated. Contact the government of the Rheingau-Taunus-Kreis or the respective municipalities directly or consult a local advisor, such as an attorney or tax professional, if you have questions.

Tourism fee

Since July 1, 2021, selected municipalities in the Rheingau region are collecting a tourism fee for temporary visitors to support their touristic infrastructure. The tourism fee is applicable in the following municipalities:

  • Lorch am Rhein
  • Rüdesheim am Rhein
  • Oestrich-Winkel
  • Kiedrich
  • Eltville am Rhein
  • Walluf
  • Hochheim am Main

All guests who are not permanent residents in the respective destination are subject to the tourism fee, excluding business travelers. Further information can be found here, including links to the local statutes. A FAQ document for Hosts is available here.

Tourism fee rate

The daily rate is currently set at 2 Euro per person. Children under 18, business travelers, as well as participants in school and student trips, patients in hospitals, and sick persons who cannot leave their accommodation are exempt from the tourism fee. The exact exemptions can be found in the respective local statutes.


The Hosts in the respective municipalities are obliged to report the guests to the local administration. More information about the registration process can be found on this information page.

Did this article help?
Get help with your reservations, account, and more.
Log in or sign up