Use of cameras and recording devices
To help provide Hosts and guests with peace of mind, security measures like security cameras and noise monitoring devices are allowed, as long as they are clearly disclosed in the listing description and don’t infringe on another person’s privacy. Rules about devices apply to all cameras, recording devices, smart devices, and monitoring devices.
What we do allow
- Disclosed devices monitoring only public spaces and common spaces: Devices that allow for viewing or monitoring of only a public space (ex: a front door or a driveway) or a common space that are clearly identified and disclosed ahead of a reservation are permitted. Common spaces do not include sleeping areas or bathrooms.
What we don’t allow
- Concealed and undisclosed devices monitoring common spaces: Any device monitoring a common space should be installed in a visible manner and disclosed in the listing description.
- Devices located in or monitoring private spaces: Devices should never monitor private spaces (ex: bedrooms, bathrooms, or common areas that are being used as sleeping areas, like a living room with a sofa bed). Disconnected devices are allowed as long as they are turned off and proactively disclosed to guests.
- Recording devices in an entire home or apartment (Mainland China only): Cameras and recording devices are not allowed in entire homes or apartments unless they are clearly identified and disclosed in the common spaces of a stay identified as a “resort,” “castle,” or, “villa.” Learn more about these rules in Mainland China.
We're here to help
If you or someone else feels threatened or unsafe, please first contact local law enforcement authorities for assistance. Additionally, if you witness or experience behavior that goes against our policies, please let us know.
While these guidelines don’t cover every possible scenario, they’re designed to offer general guidance on Airbnb’s community policies.
- Community policy•GuestProtecting your privacyTo create an environment that promotes not only physical safety, but also the safety and security of private information, certain behaviors …
- Community policyCameras and recording devices in mainland ChinaFind the rules specific to mainland China around security cameras and other recording devices.