Types of ID for verification
At Airbnb, the privacy and security of our community is a top priority for us.
We’re always identifying ways to help make our community as secure as possible for everyone. Our aim is for everyone to feel confident that guests and Hosts on Airbnb are who they say they are.
Often, your legal name and address and/or other personal information are enough for us to verify your identity. We may also ask you to provide a copy of your Government ID that includes a photo of you.
Types of Government ID
Depending on your location and what country you’re from, you may be able to verify your identity with one of the following types of Government ID:
- National identity card: with name, photograph, and date of birth
- Driver’s license: two photos—one of the front of the license and one of the back
- Passport: photo must include the numbers located at the bottom of the page with your picture
Sometimes we may ask for a selfie to match it with your Government ID. If you can’t provide a selfie that matches your Government ID, you can contact us for an alternative verification method.
Don’t use IDs for school, college, library, gym, or similar. These are not government issued—and we can’t use them to verify your identity.
Photographing your ID
For residents of Germany, Singapore, Hong Kong, the Netherlands, Indonesia, Japan, and Korea:
- Ensure that the identification or registration number is not visible.
- Cover the number with tape when you take the photo—but keep all other information visible.
Additionally, for Germany:
- Clearly indicate that the ID you are submitting is a copy of the original Government ID.
- You can use the words “Airbnb copy” like a watermark over the ID.
- GuestHow to submit your IDYou can confirm your identity with either your legal name and address, or a photo of a government ID.
- GuestVerifying your identityYour security is important to us. Check out the steps we take to not only verify your identity, but to keep it safe.
- GuestWhat happens when your ID is checkedIf a profile is marked “ID checked,” it means this person has successfully added a government ID. This helps us keep Airbnb secure.