How can I recognize experiences with wild animals that don’t follow animal welfare guidelines?
For Airbnb Experiences and Adventures that include animals, Airbnb has partnered with World Animal Protection to provide guidelines and articles that seek to promote the safety of wild animals in the wild and in captivity, as well as domesticated animals under human care.
Here are some questions to consider when taking part in experiences that involve wild animals:
- Are the wild animals kept in cages that don’t follow the Five Freedoms of Animal Welfare?
- Are wild animals forced to perform tricks in shows?
- Are you able to ride, touch, hold, walk, or swim with wild animals?
- Does the attraction sell parts or products from wild animals?
- Does the tour company chase or lure wild animals closer with food or bring people close to wild animals so they can see them better?
If you answered yes to any of these, the experience is most likely not an animal-friendly attraction. Find out more about Airbnb’s guidelines for animal welfare.
Conduct that violates our guidelines
If you come across an experience that violates the Animal Welfare Guidelines, threatens the safety of our hosts or guests, or risks the welfare and/or conservation of animals, please contact us. If applicable, make a note of the date, time and location, as well as the type of animals involved in the experience.
If we are made aware that an experience and/or host violates our platform policies, community standards, or terms of service, we take action including permanent removal from our community if warranted. We’re constantly reviewing and revising our platform policies and protections in order to make our community safer and higher quality.
Courtesy of World Animal Protection. ©2019 World Animal Protection. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
The World Animal Protection name is used with its permission, which in no way constitutes an endorsement, express or implied, of any product, service, company, opinion or political position. For more information about World Animal Protection, please visit worldanimalprotection.org.
Read the original article by World Animal Protection.
- GuestWhy is it harmful to wildlife to keep marine mammals in captivity?Find more info, developed in partnership with World Animal Protection, about marine mammals in captivity.
- GuestHow can I recognize elephant-friendly venues?Find the animal welfare guidelines specific for elephants, developed in partnership with World Animal Protection.
- GuestHow can I recognize a true animal sanctuary?Find guidelines, developed in partnership with World Animal Protection, to help you determine if the sanctuary you want to visit is a genuin…