Suggestions will show after typing in the search input. Use the up and down arrows to review. Use enter to select. If the selection is a phrase, that phrase will be submitted to search. If the suggestion is a link, the browser will navigate to that page.
Experience Host

Experiences involving sporting activities in Hong Kong

These information pages can help you get started in learning about some of the laws and registration requirements that may apply to your experiences on Airbnb. These pages include summaries of some of the rules that may apply to different sorts of activities, and contain links to government resources that you may find helpful.

Please understand that these information pages are not comprehensive, and are not legal advice. If you are unsure about how local laws or this information may apply to you or your Experience, we encourage you to check with official sources or seek legal advice.

Please note that we don’t update this information in real time, so you should confirm that the laws or procedures have not changed recently.*

What are some of the basic principles?

Your guest’s health and safety should always come first. For example, take care to use safe equipment and reputable suppliers where relevant. Ask your guests in advance about their skill level and any other factors that may impact their ability to participate in the Experience. If you are providing fitness services, e.g. personal training, you should also consider becoming a registered exercise professional.

Do I need a licence or permit to offer a sports-based Experience?

There is generally no legal requirement to obtain any government licence or permit to provide sports-based Experiences. In most cases, you do not need any government licence or permit to hold fitness, martial arts, or water sports (including underwater sports) classes.

However, it is common industry practice for trainers and instructors to obtain accreditation for the relevant sport before offering their services to consumers. You are encouraged to make inquiries with relevant accreditation bodies and/or associations for further information.

That said, the venue where your Experience is intended to be carried out may impose restrictions on certain activities. For example, while it is permissible to swim, snorkel, scuba dive and canoe in marine parks without a permit, activities such as fishing, water skiing and jet skiing are prohibited in marine parks. In addition, mountain biking may only be carried out on paths that are designated as mountain bike trails by the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (“AFCD”). Under the Country Parks and Special Areas Regulations (Cap 208A), a person who brings, drives, uses or possesses a bicycle within a country park or special area commits an offence, unless (i) the bicycle is used exclusively on paths designated by the Country and Marine Parks Authority or AFCD; or (ii) the person is ordinarily resident within the park or special area. If convicted, you may be subject to a maximum penalty of fine of HKD 2,000 and imprisonment for 3 months.

You are encouraged to contact the relevant Government authority or owner of the venue or premises to enquire about the permissible activities that can be conducted before arranging your Experience.

My Experience involves a water-based activity. Do I need any special licences to operate certain vessels?

You may require a licence to operate certain vessels. For example, if your Experience involves a "pleasure vessel" (which includes yachts, speed boats and jet skis), you will need to obtain a Pleasure Vessel Operator Certificate of Competence from the Marine Department in order to operate the pleasure vessel.

More information can be found on the Marine Department's website, and you can also contact the Marine Department for further information.

Is there any other information I should be aware of?

The Leisure and Cultural Services Department ("LCSD") offers sports facilities and equipment (e.g. sports grounds, multi-purpose courts, tennis courts, sports pitches, archery ranges, crafts for water sports such as sailing dinghies, kayaks and windsurfing boards etc.) for hire. Application forms can be found on the LCSD's website.

However, you will require the relevant water sports qualification to rent crafts for water sports . For further information, please refer to the LCSD Water Sports Centre's website.

*Airbnb is not responsible for the reliability or correctness of the information contained in any links to third party sites (including any links to legislation and regulations).

Did this article help?
Get help with your reservations, account, and more.
Log in or sign up