Experiences involving transportation in Jamaica
These information pages can help you get started in learning about some of the laws and registration requirements that may apply to your experiences on Airbnb. These pages include summaries of some of the rules that may apply to different sorts of activities, and contain links to government resources that you may find helpful.
Please understand that these information pages are not comprehensive, and are not legal advice. If you are unsure about how local laws or this information may apply to you or your Experience, we encourage you to check with official sources or seek legal advice.
Please note that we don’t update this information in real time, so you should confirm that the laws or procedures have not changed recently.*
Do I need a special license or permit to drive my Guests to and from my experience if I don’t charge them for the ride?
You don't need a special license or permit to drive your guests as long as you are not charging them for the ride.
In order to drive guests without getting an extra license or permit:
- You cannot charge them for the transportation you provide (either directly or by adding the cost of transportation to your Experience Fee),
- You should clearly mention in your Listing that transportation will be provided "at no charge", and
- Driving cannot be the main theme of the Experience.
If you want to charge your guests for the ride, you need to get a license under from the Transport Authority of Jamaica.
Example: Sean takes his guests on a Dunn’s River day Experience and wants to give them a free ride to/from the experience. Sean's listing makes it clear he will pick up Guests who need a ride to get to his Experience at no charge to the Guest. Sean does not need special licenses to do this (aside from his regular driver's license, having the car registered and an insurance policy for private use/driving).
If I want to charge for the ride, do I need a special license or permit to drive guests to and from my Experience?
Yes, if you’re charging your guests to drive them around Jamaica, you first must obtain a license from the Transport Authority to do so. This is aside from your regular driver's license and car registration and insurance policy. In order to get your carriage license(s) you will need to meet certain requirements. Please check with the Transport Authority prior to considering providing these services for a fee.
Picking guests up at the airport: The abovementioned license(s) will allow you to pick up guests at the International and Domestic Airports once this is pre-arranged with the guest.
How else can I help my guests get to and from my Experience?
How you handle your experience and your guest's transportation needs is entirely up to you. You may choose per the above mentioned to:
- Give them a ride for free;
- Charge them if you have the necessary licenses;
- Get them a taxi or other state licensed vehicle with a licensed driver. You can even pay for these licensed transportations options yourself and include the cost as part of your Experience Price; or
- Ask your Guests to get their own transportation to and from your experience.
*Airbnb is not responsible for the reliability or correctness of the information contained in any links to third party sites (including any links to legislation and regulations).
- Experience HostExperiences involving alcohol in JamaicaHosting Airbnb Experiences is fun, but there are some obligations and rules that apply to different activities. We’ve gathered some resource…
- Airbnb basicsAirbnb Plus Program Terms and ConditionsPlease review our Airbnb Plus Program Terms and Conditions.
- Experience HostExperiences Guest Refund PolicyPease review our Experiences Guest Refund Policy.