Suggestions will show after typing in the search input. Use the up and down arrows to review. Use enter to select. If the selection is a phrase, that phrase will be submitted to search. If the suggestion is a link, the browser will navigate to that page.
Experience Host

Experiences involving transportation in Melbourne

These information pages can help you get started in learning about some of the laws and registration requirements that may apply to your experiences on Airbnb. These pages include summaries of some of the rules that may apply to different sorts of activities, and contain links to government resources that you may find helpful.

Please understand that these information pages are not comprehensive, and are not legal advice. If you are unsure about how local laws or this information may apply to you or your Experience, we encourage you to check with official sources or seek legal advice.

Please note that we don’t update this information in real time, so you should confirm that the laws or procedures have not changed recently.*

Do I need a special licence or permit to drive my guests to and from my Experience?

If you are driving your own vehicle which has less than 13 seats and have a valid driving licence, you may not need any other licence to drive your guests to and from your Experience.

However, if driving passengers in your vehicle is integral to your Experience (and is not merely used to take your guests to and from where the Experience is), you may be considered to be providing commercial passenger transport. A vehicle is used for commercial passenger transport if it is used or intended to be used for carrying passengers for hire or reward.

If you are providing commercial passenger transport, in addition to a valid driving licence, you will need to (i) hold a driver accreditation and (ii) your vehicle must be licensed to operate by the Taxi Services Commission (TSC). The relevant fees for the TSC licence vary from around $400 to more than $40,000 depending on which type of vehicle is used. Further information is available online.

The Victorian Government has introduced reforms in relation to hire car transport, which are not yet in effect. When implemented, these reforms will apply to hire cars that do not charge meter fares, but are unlikely to apply to you if you are not providing hire car transport.

It is best to consult the TSC to check if the hire car regulations would apply to you.

If you are driving a motorcycle or four-wheel drive (4WD) tour vehicle as part of your Experience (and not simply to and from the Experience), you may be considered to be providing a restricted hire activity, and will most likely need to have a restricted hire vehicle licence accredited by the TSC. Restricted hire vehicle licences are only issued for pre-booked services and cater specifically for:

  • vehicles aged 25 years and over
  • motorcycle tours
  • tricycle tours
  • 4WD off-road tours
  • vehicles with a seating capacity for between 8-9 seats used in connection with a pre-booked tour package.

A fine may be imposed for driving a commercial passenger or restricted hire vehicle without the relevant licence. Further information is available from the TSC.

You will need to ensure that you hold adequate insurance in respect of damage to property caused by the use of the vehicle.

If your Experience involves a motorcycle as part of the Experience (and not merely as a way of getting to where the where the Experience is), you will need to provide certain safety equipment to passengers, such as crash helmets and protective jackets.

My Experience involves going to a couple of separate venues, which are not within walking distance of each other. I want to provide transportation between the two venues. I plan to order an Uber or licensed taxi or other licensed form of transportation. I do not plan to charge anything for the transportation. Do I need a specific licence to allow me to do this?

No. You will not need a specific licence unless you are providing vehicle or passenger services as described above.

My Experience involves allowing guests to drive my car or motorcycle, with me seated in the passenger seat at all times. Will I or my guests need a specific licence to do this?

If your guest has an appropriate driving licence (see below) and your vehicle is duly registered with VicRoads, then you will not need an additional licence to conduct your Experience.

You should consider obtaining additional insurance (i.e. private or car insurance) for your vehicle so that you are also covered for loss or damage to the vehicle when third parties (which would include guests) are driving. If you offer insurance products to guests for their Experience, please be aware that additional licensing and regulatory obligations may apply.

a) Licences for guests driving a Car

Guests can only drive a car in Victoria if they have a driver’s licence. There are different types of driver’s licences depending upon the nationality of the guest and type of visa they used to enter Australia.

  • Victorian residents: Victorian guests must have a valid Victorian driver’s licence, probationary licence or learners permit. See the VicRoads website for further information.
  • Residents of Australian state (other than Victoria) and New Zealand: If the guest has a valid driver’s licence from another Australian state or from New Zealand and does not reside in Victoria, they may drive a car using that licence. If they have resided in Victoria for 3 or more months, they must convert their interstate or New Zealand licence into a Victorian licence and can only drive in Victoria on their Victorian licence. See the VicRoads website for further information.
  • Residents of other countries: See the VicRoads website for further information.

b) Licences for guests driving a motorcycle

A similar licensing system applies to motorcycles in Victoria. Further information is available from the VicRoads website.

*Airbnb is not responsible for the reliability or correctness of the information contained in any links to third party sites (including any links to legislation and regulations).

Did this article help?
Get help with your reservations, account, and more.
Log in or sign up