Can a host cancel a reservation without adverse consequences?
Hosts can cancel reservations without adverse consequences in the limited circumstances described in this article. Because cancellations disrupt guests' plans and impact confidence in the Airbnb community, hosts should fulfill all confirmed reservations. If a host cannot fulfill a reservation because of an extenuating circumstance or similar conditions beyond their control, it is their responsibility (and not the guest’s) to cancel in a timely manner to allow their guest time to adjust their plans.
You can never cancel for any reason that violates Airbnb’s Nondiscrimination Policy.
Hosts can cancel reservations without adverse consequences where they can establish that extenuating circumstances or similar conditions beyond their control prevent completion of the reservation. In determining whether the consequences should be waived, we may consider relevant factors including how timely the host cancelled the reservation after becoming aware they could not host.
Hosts can cancel reservations without adverse consequences where they reasonably believe, and we confirm based on a review of available evidence such as message threads or previous reviews that mention parties, that the guest intends to hold an unauthorized party or event, or otherwise violate our party and event policy.
Instant Book reservations
Hosts can cancel Instant Book reservations without penalty under certain circumstances. Some examples include:
- The guest makes it clear they’ll likely break one of the host’s house rules, like bringing a pet or smoking
- The listing does not fit the needs of the guest
- The guest has several unfavorable reviews or a lack of profile information that concerns the host
You’ll be able to cancel Instant Book reservations online penalty-free 3 times in one year for these reasons—after that, you’ll have to contact us to make the cancellation without penalty. Otherwise, host cancellation penalties will apply.
If you cancel a large number of your Instant Book reservations, you may be required to turn off Instant Book.
- How-to•HostHow a Host cancels a bookingYou can cancel a reservation as a Host, but if the check-in time is within 24 hours, the option to cancel online may not be available.
- How-to•HostHow to use Instant BookYou can turn Instant Book on or off at any time in your booking settings.
- How-to•HostCustomizing Instant Book settingsThere are settings that can help you control when your listing can be booked and which guests can book without needing you to manually revie…