Experiences involving transportation in Rio de Janeiro
Join a local Host Club: Want to connect with Hosts in your area to get tips and advice? It’s easy—join your community’s official Host Group on Facebook!
These information pages can help you get started in learning about some of the laws and registration requirements that may apply to your experiences on Airbnb. These pages include summaries of some of the rules that may apply to different sorts of activities, and contain links to government resources that you may find helpful.
Please understand that these information pages are not comprehensive, and are not legal advice. If you are unsure about how local laws or this information may apply to you or your Experience, we encourage you to check with official sources or seek legal advice.
Please note that we don’t update this information in real time, so you should confirm that the laws or procedures have not changed recently.*
Do I need a special license or permit to drive my guests to and from my experience if I don’t charge them for the ride?
You don’t need a special license or permit to drive your guests as long as you are not charging them for the ride.
In order to drive guests without getting an extra license or permit, you:
- cannot charge them for the transportation you provide (either directly or by adding the cost of transportation to your Experience Fee), and
- should clearly mention in your Listing that transportation will be provided “at no charge.”
In Rio, when an individual (who is not registered as a taxi driver) intends to charge someone to provide transportation, this is deemed as remunerated private individual transportation. Currently, Rio’s local law prohibits such activity.
- Example: José takes his guests on a soccer-themed tour of Maracanã Stadium and wants to give them a free ride to/from the experience. José’s listing makes it clear he will pick up Guests who need a ride to get to his Experience at no charge to the Guest. José does not need special licenses (aside from his regular driver’s license) to do this.
If I want to charge for the ride, do I need a special license or permit to drive guests to and from my Experience?
Yes. If you’re charging your guests to drive them around Rio and its surroundings, you would need to qualify as a touristic ground transportation driver. In order to do so, you first must incorporate a legal entity and obtain the required permits to act as a tourism agency and to provide touristic ground transportation services. Second, you must request the traffic authority to include in your driver’s license the information that you earn money driving. Third, the vehicle must be owned by the legal entity and must be correctly identified as a touristic ground transportation. Please check with an attorney prior to considering providing these services for a fee.
Picking guests up at the airport: A touristic ground transportation license does not guarantee that you will be allowed to pick up guests at Rio’s airports. Many airports have their own requirements for transportation providers. Be sure to check with the airport before charging guests for airport pickup even if you are a provider of touristic ground transportation.
How else can I help my guests get to and from my Experience?
How you handle your experience and your guest’s transportation needs is entirely up to you. You may choose to:
- Give them a ride for free.
- Charge them if you have the necessary licenses.
- Get them a Uber, taxi, or other state licensed vehicle with a licensed driver. You can even pay for these licensed transportations options yourself and include the cost as part of your Experience Price.
- Ask your Guests to get their own transportation to and from your experience.
*Airbnb is not responsible for the reliability or correctness of the information contained in any links to third party sites (including any links to legislation and regulations).
- Experience HostWhat languages can I host an online experience in?You can host an online experience in any language. However, only online experiences offered in English and French will be reviewed and publi…
- Experience HostHosting a Social Impact experienceA great way to connect people (both travelers and locals) to the mission of your nonprofit organization is by hosting an Airbnb Social Impac…
- Experience HostHosting Airbnb AdventuresEvery host of an Airbnb Adventure must demonstrate relevant expertise for that particular adventure. Find out how to apply.