Software Engineer, Payments
San Francisco, United States
Why is Payments important at Airbnb?
We run everything related to money in the Airbnb marketplace. Each day we collect and remit payment in 65+ currencies in 190+ countries. The Payments Team builds the technology that facilitates Airbnb's massive daily transaction volume. Building and improving the global pipes that collect and distribute money are daily challenges for Payments engineering at Airbnb.
We care about reliability, testability, quality, and solid engineering design. Our team is full stack and writes code from high-throughput Java services, to Ruby credit card processing, to data pipelines utilizing Scala/Spark, to mobile (iOS/Android) payment acceptance, to rich client-side applications using ReactJS.
We work in Ruby, Java and Scala. Previous experience is not required and we provide the resources and support to help you learn quickly.
What are examples of work that Payment engineers have done at Airbnb?
- When Hurricane Sandy struck, we partnered with the City of New York to quickly create a platform for New Yorkers to provide free housing to those who were displaced by the storm.
- We re-built the reservation booking page and completely refactored its backend architecture. We A/B tested every change carefully and within a few months meaningfully increased the conversion rate.
- Our payments platform transmits billions of dollars in dozens of different currencies among 190+ countries. By integrating new partners, we can both optimize our costs and grow our business by better supporting different countries.
- Helping with taxes is a big part of supporting guests and hosts. We build tools to make the experience as magical as possible, which poses many challenges due to its inherent complexity and global scope in our two sided marketplace.
- Scaling our systems is becoming increasingly challenging given the sheer volume of transactions, currencies, and payment methods we support. Recently we migrated from a bulk processing model to a real-time, stream processing model using asynchronous queues and horizontally scalable workers, and many more projects like this are in the pipeline.
- We’ve built our own data warehouse to facilitate reliable, time series based GAAP compliant reporting for finance and accounting. Moreover, we efficiently reconcile every transaction we process to make sure our system is in sync with banks all over the world.
The following experience is relevant to us:
- Deep understanding of relational databases and schema design
- A history of diving into new code bases and ramping up quickly
- Rigor in automated testing, code quality, and engineering best practices
- Bonus: Experience with financial, accounting or payments systems
- Bonus: Experience scaling architecture
- Bonus: Experience working with large and complex datasets
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...