Business Affairs Strategic Development Lead
San Francisco, United States
Since launching Experiences in November 2016, we’ve expanded to over 7000 experiences across 60 cities and we expect to be in over 1000 cities before the end of the year! Airbnb Experiences provide opportunities for guests to connect with hosts through unique, local experiences such as truffle hunting in Florence, the ritual and rigour of Japanese kendo in Tokyo, and learning where to find the best - healthy! - soul food in Harlem. Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where anyone can belong anywhere - what better way to serve that mission than to facilitate connection through shared experiences.
We are looking for a Business Affairs Strategic Development Lead that will be responsible for facilitating and accelerating the growth of Experiences while protecting both Airbnb and its community from risk.
Your mission will be to bring cross-functional experts and advice (legal, public policy, and Trust & Safety) together, to identify strategic initiatives, to define a clear roadmap and drive efficiency across the business unit. You will facilitate leadership alignment and decision making through synthesizing complex Business Affairs information into concise reports and presentations. Through your project management expertise, you will identify creative and practical solutions that will clear the path for healthy growth of experiences globally.
The Experiences team as a whole consists of (1) a technical Product team, responsible for designing and implementing the host and guest online experience; (2) an Operations team, which is responsible for growing our supply of experiences in markets around the world; and (3) a Business Affairs team, which enables healthy growth, contributes to the high quality experiences standards and mitigates risk through the building of compliance processes and trust across our global community, as well as with cities around the world. When functioning well, the Business Affairs team removes internal blockers and leverages the legal, policy and trust & safety expertise to amplify the Product and Operations efforts as well as contributes to the strategic direction of the Experiences business as a whole.
The ideal candidate will be very analytical, structured, detail-oriented with a keen focus on building scalable operations, at ease in complex cross-functional environments and have an ability to work independently in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- Project manage and communicate on Business Affairs goal setting process, roadmap, and other planning functions.
- Lead and program manage complex, cross-functional initiatives and launches (i.e. set process, deadlines, deliverables) end-to-end.
- Inform, influence, and execute new strategies and operational tactics for new markets and products using sound analysis and metrics to support positions.
- Run cross-functional working team meetings efficiently and effectively, with ability to connect dots and influence key decisions.
- Proactively incubate, develop and promote Business Affairs initiatives.
- Develop strong collaborative relationships with key stakeholders across Trips including policy, legal, trust & Safety, operations and product.
Background, skills, and experience
- 10+ years of experience working in strategy consulting;
- Previous background in hospitality or consumer sector desirable (especially travel, marketplace, e-commerce sectors, or businesses strongly leveraging the community);
- Ability to resolve complex and unfamiliar problems in a creative and timely manner and gather/analyze information skillfully;
- Ability to successfully interact and communicate with stakeholders who have a wide range of personalities and personal styles and who are representing diverse perspectives within the company;
- Talent for structured thinking and business case development, particularly around consumer needs in regulated industries;
- Ability to quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues and summarise the situation with clarity to others;
- Demonstrated ability to project manage concurrent projects, prioritize several competing needs, and execute on tight deadlines in a fast-paced setting;
- Experience structuring, overseeing, measuring, and reporting on qualitative activities in particular;
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills;
- Ability to articulate a vision, strategy or idea clearly and concisely, both for subject matter experts and the layperson;
- Proven track record in navigating a matrixed organization, with the skills to confidently negotiate issues and tradeoffs across multiple teams;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to achieve goals by influence and coordination, in addition to authority and mandate;
- Proven ability to work at both strategic and tactical levels, not afraid to dive into detail and execute as needed;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced startup environment;
- Comfortable with pressure, ambiguity and takes initiative;
- MBA a plus;
- Airbnb Experience or home host a plus.