Software Engineer, Internal Products
San Francisco, United States
Why are Internal Products Engineers important at Airbnb?
Our team is a startup within a startup. We build applications for hundreds of Airbnb employees around the world. We own everything related to operationalizing Airbnb to keep it running as a marketplace. Airbnb has a huge operational staff comprised of Customer Experience agents, photographers, local sales teams, and many more teams that must scale with our user base. As an example of our project breadth, we’ve even built Airbnb’s company social network, putting names to the new faces on our growing team!
Inspiration starts from within: the same love and thought that goes into building customer facing product goes into our employee facing product. The Internal Products team takes on the unique challenge of interfacing directly with stakeholders around the company to build full stack applications with an array of technologies. In fact, our team codes with some of the newest and most diverse set of technologies within Airbnb from Node.js for real time chat and notifications, to React and Ruby on Rails for customer resolutions, to Backbone.js for user tickets, to Sphinx for full text user searching, to mobile (iOS/Android) for photographer job claiming.
Our product feedback loop is immediate which means we can rapidly iterate and deploy. If you enjoy building full stack applications from the ground up, leveraging the newest technologies to delight users, and executing like an entrepreneur, then you’ve found the right place.
What are examples of work that Internal Products engineers have done at Airbnb?
- Airbnb has listings with some of the most amazing photos because our team helps scale photography operations to maintain quality.
- We own the application that hundreds of Customer Experience agents use to triage and solve issues at scale.
- Engineers on the team have the opportunity to own applications full stack by building entirely underlying data storage all the way to frontend experiences.
- We build applications for our external customers directly too - we own the help center as well as the resolution tool for guests and hosts to help themselves.
- Culture is paramount at Airbnb, so we’ve built Airbnb’s company social network which allows teammates to connect and collaborate.
- We empower our team of Trust and Safety Investigators by creating powerful tools to help them respond both reactively and proactively to situations at scale.
The following experience is relevant to us:
- Exceptional ability to work anywhere in the technical stack, delivering quality code both on the frontend and backend.
- Fluency in any backend server language, and expertise at writing complex SQL queries.
- Ability to leverage and integrate with third party APIs.
- Passion for creating magical user experiences. Skilled at understanding and solving users’ needs better than they do themselves.
- Demonstrated design and UX sensibilities.
- Deep understanding of relational database schema design and performance tuning.
- You enjoy travel. Our operational staff is situated in many countries, and we make a point of visiting them a couple times a year to collaborate.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...