About this listing
Welcome to Detroit's 1st & most reviewed Airbnb!
Enjoy 4 of our 5 spacious guest rooms, 12 of 13 beds all with spa quality Comphy sheets
Max capacity 27
Under 2 blocks to Woodward Ave for Midtown/WSU (2mi/3.3km) & Downtown (4mi/6.5km)
Free & safe street parking in front or fit 6-8 cars in our gated woodchipped back yard
Safe space for ALL ~families, pets, lgbtq/poly, elder, traditional/religious groups~ be at home
Best of all 10% of your stay is set aside to improve our Piety Hill neighborhood!
* Make sure everyone in your group reads the whole listing, including 'Interaction with guests' and 'Cancellation' below. We're happy to help with any questions prior to booking.
* 4 OF 5 ROOMS LISTING VERSION ~ DLY's main listing is 'Detroit Loves You Guest Home Central & Charitable' and includes all 5 bedrooms. This listing is discounted and includes 4 bedrooms, NOT the Fire Room (2nd floor ~ 1 queen bed) which has been booked by another guest. This guest will almost certainly be Gregg B. DLY's designer/carpenter since 2013, but may be a friend or relative of Nathan the owner. Just ask us for details. The West Bath, Kitchen, Dining Room, and porches/yards are shared spaces. All other rooms are for your private use.
* CHECK-IN & OUT ~ Check-in is after 3pm. If you want to check in earlier please inquire when placing your reservation or ASAP. If there is no check-out & cleaning that day, checking in earlier than 3 may work. It's usually possible to drop off luggage/food on the 1st floor while the house is being cleaned, then return to fully check in later.
Check-out is before 11am. If you want to check out after 11 or leave luggage to pick up later, please inquire when placing your reservation or ASAP. If there's no check-in that day, later check-out may work.
* PARKING ~ Free, no permit on the street & cross street. Perfect safety record for guests' locked cars emptied of valuables/bags. Gated woodchipped back yard fits 6-8 cars.
* CAR RIDES ~ Owner Nathan may be available to drive you, usually weekdays early morning to (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN) DTW airport, $10 Downtown / Amtrak / Greyhound / MegaBus station, other locations inquire. Up to 4 riders with luggage in silver 2003 Ford Focus ZX3 hatchback.
* PRIVACY ~ See above. Also, Nathan the owner may need to tend the grounds - see 'Interaction with guests' in the listing description.
* CHILDREN ~ Children of all ages are welcome and we've hosted many families. Be mindful that the house is not "child-proofed" and there are games, books, etc. within reach. Prior to checkout please put back any items taken down back. Please include Infants (under 2) though they stay free.
* PETS ~ Well behaved animal companions are welcome at no cost. Due to allergies we must remove all traces of their stay, so please clean up any accidents and don't allow them to shed hair in the house. Send us their name, gender, breed & age when booking.
* PARTIES/EVENTS ~ We have hosted a wide variety of gatherings at DLY over the years and welcome yours. We'll be happy to address any questions or needs specific to your event. We ask guests to respect the home and our neighbors with small children:
Sound - No loud noise must be heard by neighbors after 10pm/22:00. Keeping all windows & doors closed helps keep sound in. No professional sound equipment.
Not allowed - No glitter, confetti, etc. or additional cleaning costs may apply
Rate - For 1 night reservations the rate is determined by the total # of people entering house regardless of how many sleep there. For a gathering on 1 day of a 2+ night reservation there's no charge for a # of non-overnight visitors equal to the number of overnight guests. E.g. 10 overnight guests staying 2 nights could have up to 10 non-overnight visitors for a gathering on one of the days at no charge, then +$20/visitor beyond 10.
All non-overnight visitors' names and phone numbers must be submitted in advance, like overnight guests.
* SAFETY ~ Rest assured in DLY's perfect safety record. Our beloved Piety Hill neighborhood is friendly and not violent, just transitioning out of poverty. Although it's total overkill, DLY has a monitored alarm, security doors & cameras, and window guards to help all guests feel perfectly safe.
Made in 1910, Detroit Loves You Guest Home is much like her city: built to last. She's been undergoing a makeover since 2010, mirroring Detroit's gradual progress.
13 beds sleep 26 comfortably, with floor space for 30 total overnight guests and events up to 50
Clean bedding & towels provided
Enjoy luxurious Comphy Co. spa quality microfiber sheets & pillowcases on all beds. Inquire about purchasing Comphy brand sheets for your home using DLY's wholesale account.
10 Mbps WiFi or faster (max available)
3RD FLOOR... accessibility: porch steps, 2 flights of stairs / must bend down to enter room
AIR ROOM ~ AC ~ most private room
Beds: sleep 3-6 on 2 queen beds & twin/king daybed + hammock
Privacy: soundproof stairs & private door to 2nd floor hall locks when inside
2ND FLOOR... accessibility: porch steps & inside stairs
WATER ROOM ~ 2nd floor ~ walk-in closet ~ most comfortable bed
Beds: sleep 2-4 on queen memory foam bed & full-size futon
Privacy: door to 2nd floor hall
EARTH ROOM ~ bunk beds & roll-out trundle ~ newest room
Beds: sleep 3-6 on 3 full-size futon bunk beds
Privacy: door to 2nd floor hall locks when inside
Construction April/May 2017: The Earth Room's back wall (with mirror) was removed, adding a beautifully lit back addition with vaulted ceiling & 7 windows overlooking the back yard with views to the historic Fisher Building. The Earth Room is usable as described, just don't enter the new space/work site until complete. Inquire for an update, and thanks for your understanding as we improve the house for you!
EAST BATH ~ toiletry cubbies ~ largest bathroom
Privacy: door to 2nd floor hall locks when inside
WEST BATH ~ newest bathroom
Privacy: door to 2nd floor hall locks when inside
1ST FLOOR... accessibility: porch steps
MORTON ROOM / LIVING ROOM ~ record player ~ largest room
Beds: sleep 4-8 on 4 queen roll-out beds
Privacy: rolling barn-style door with locking latch connects to 1st floor hall
KITCHEN ~ well-stocked + coffee & tea ~ lots of counter space
Detroit Bold Coffee & Beverage Station: enjoy locally roasted Detroit Bold Coffee, decaf, and organic teas during your stay. Available for purchase: Detroit Bold Coffee ($15 12oz bag), Detroit Bold Coffee Mug ($10), Detroit Bold T-shirts & Ball Caps ($15). These great gifts support DLY & Detroit Bold, owned by local hero A.J. O'Neil.
Appliances: gas stove & microwave/toaster/convection ovens, refrigerator, blender, water boiler, percolator, French press, coffee grinder, etc.
Food: help yourself to all unmarked foods, including staples, baking ingredients, spices, canned food, etc.
DINING ROOM ~ record player & vinyl collection ~ full of games, books & Detroit tips
Table: seats 4-10, remove top to play Table Football/Foosball
BASEMENT... accessibility: inside stairs
LAUNDRY ~ detergent provided
Appliances: Contact us for instructions and permission to use the high efficiency front-loading washing machine & dryer
OUTSIDE... front porch accessibility: porch steps
BACK YARD ~ organic fruit, berry & vegetable garden ~ space for gatherings
Features: parking for 6-8 cars ~ charcoal grill ~ fire pit
Construction: The back porch is being rebuilt and is currently a small, contained construction site. Small children should not be in the back yard unsupervised. Fully enjoy the rest of the spacious back yard. Thanks for your understanding while we improve the house for you!
Seating: Pew & couch seat 6-12
Guests have private access to 4 of 5 guest rooms (not the 2nd floor Fire Room), and the East Bath. The Kitchen, Dining Room, West Bath, basement laundry, front & back porches, and backyard parking & raised fire pit are shared space with any guest(s) booked in the Fire Room (see above).
Interaction with guests
Owner Nathan may be available to greet you if arriving before 4pm/16:00. He will notify you if he needs to access the house during for your stay for any reason. For example, in the summer he may need to tend to the backyard garden and access DLY's basement and outdoor shed.
The Fire Room guest shares the West Bath, Kitchen, Dining Room, and porches/yards. Make yourselves completely at home and comfortable.
Housekeeping will arrive at 11am checkout time unless other arrangements are made at time of booking or with enough advance notice. Nathan may arrive slightly ahead of housekeeping to oversee trainees, etc.
Other things to note
A stay at the Detroit Loves You Guest Home means you become part of Detroit's transformation: 10% gross revenue from your and every reservation is set aside to improve our Piety Hill neighborhood.
If this resonates with you, please choose DLY and leave a lasting impact on Detroit - thank you!
See Photos: 'How Your Stay Transforms & Uplifts Detroit' & 'Guest Home Transformation Timeline'
DLY employs Detroit housekeepers and has financially supported our local Block Club, nonprofit Community Development Corporation, Detroit Little Free Libraries, Green Cycle a recycling startup, exterior & neighboring property improvements including porch roof & steps, community garden, and free tree trimming/removal for neighbors.
Please familiarize yourself with Airbnb's Strict Cancellation Policy:
* Cancelled 7 full days prior (from 3pm/15:00 day of arrival) = 50% refund
* 1-6 days prior, day of arrival, or during reservation = no refund
Cancellation of, or lowering the number of guests for, all or some days of a reservation, for any reason, is subject to the above policies, including not having read the entire listing, and inability to see past Detroit's off-putting appearance. If your guest list is not finalized at the time of booking, make sure to select the lowest number. It's easy to add more any time prior to your week of arrival.
24/7 GUESTY SUPPORT...
The team at Guesty, the Airbnb management company, handles all communications and can assist with any questions about the guest rooms, house, neighborhood, or city. DLY owner Nathan A. is always available to assist you personally if you wish; just ask. Let us know how we can best serve you.
~ ENJOY YOURSELF! ~
Be comfortable and at home
~ CONTACT INFO ~
Prior to check-in we need the names & cells of everyone else in your group who will be trusted to properly lock the doors & (dis)arm the alarm. This is necessary in case of emergency, like an accidental alarm.
~ INFORMATION SHEET IN EVERY ROOM ~
Make sure to read the posted Info Sheets as you encounter them, for safety and everything you want to know - like the WiFi code!
~ SHOES ~
Please remove shoes when inside to help keep DLY clean for all. Cold feet? Enjoy heated floors and constant day & night 68F/20C room temperature Oct-May.
~ SMOKING, FIRE & VAPING ~
No smoking, fire, candles, incense, or flame of any kind allowed inside. Front porch: tobacco only. Backyard: all OK. Vaporizer: OK anywhere. Please make sure all cigarette butts go in provided pots or trash.
~ CHECK-OUT CHECK LIST ~
Wash any dishes
Put back any books, games, records, etc. as they were found
Leave beds as they are for the cleaners to strip - Do not strip them
Leave towels to hang dry (not in damp floor piles)
Leave any unwanted non-expired foods clearly in the kitchen for future guests or proper disposal
Double-check for chargers & personal items
Check to make sure all fans, AC/space heaters, and lights are off
Check to make sure all 4 locks on the 2 back doors are properly locked
Set alarm (unless housekeeping has already arrived)
Check to make sure both front doors are properly shut & locked
Thank you for supporting us; come back soon!
Cancel up to 7 days before your trip and get a 50% refund plus service fees back.
This host has 297 reviews for other properties.View other reviews
* Detroit Loves You Guest Home is managed by the 24/7 team at Guesty who will reply to your inquiry first and answer any questions you may have *
Hi, I'm Nathan, DLY's founder. I'll also be available to assist when called on.
I was made in Detroit, then lived all around southeast Michigan (between world travels) until settling in Detroit in 2004. Around that time I began hosting travelers on my couches. I soon discovered a passion for helping people connect with my city, and in return felt blessed to experience Detroit and Detroiters through their eyes and learn from their experiences here and back home. My involvement as a Detroit 'Ambassador' grew until 2010 when I bought a house in the Piety Hill neighborhood and opened Detroit's first Airbnb, Detroit Loves You Guest Home.
Much more than a family business, DLY directly supports the Piety Hill neighborhood, with 10% of your reservation's proceeds funding the Hazelwood Block Club, local start-ups & non-profits, and property beautification. Your stay truly & positively transforms our city; thank you for that. May your time here leave you uplifted.